• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B2

I have learnt that a simple wall-wart type transformer costing around £10 will do the job for a C-2x. I have also learnt that a C-2x will cost from around £800. Ouch. One day though ;)
 
Hi all. Speaking of mods, can I ask about the little lights for the VU's? Thats seven blow alway. They seem to start going from right to left over time soon after replacement. The second from left on is hanging on six months after the others blew over only about a week of instal. I'm using from Mouser "JKL Lamps, Std Wire Term Lamp, Mouser P/N 560-7219".
Is there something I can do to slow or stop this problem, please?IMG_1262.jpg
 
Last edited:
It won't be as bright but you could try a 14 volt lamp, but not sure if there is a 60mA version I know there is an 80mA but that might draw too much current .

Athanasios
 
Thank you Athanasios which I believe is the immortal one. I wish these flippin' lamps were. This thread is long, I have a vague recollection of someone suggesting a resistor somewhere to slow the rush of current (or something like that)? Looks like I might have to read the lot again to find it unless, someone can point a finger, please?
 
Hi all. Speaking of mods, can I ask about the little lights for the VU's? Thats seven blow alway. They seem to start going from right to left over time soon after replacement. The second from left on is hanging on six months after the others blew over only about a week of instal. I'm using from Mouser "JKL Lamps, Std Wire Term Lamp, Mouser P/N 560-7219".
Is there something I can do to slow or stop this problem, please?View attachment 2808941

I am not sure what the issue is with your amp or with the lightbulbs. The 12v supply is regulated and it is not really 12v and more like 11.6v.
Putting a current sharing resistor in series is not something that would solve your issue.

As a first steps:
1. Verify that you have about 11.6V on the lightbulbs feed
2. I would suggest you replace the bulb type with something else. I have been using 4mm 12v 60ma bulbs (which are the original Yamaha B-2 specs) from a flyaway seller in Germany (no affiliation). I found similar bulbs in US but since I have been buying from this seller for years, I stayed with it.
3. if nothing works just send me that silver B-2 so you no longer have any problems :D
 
Another thing is could be the pins that the bulbs make contact with, if they are not making good contact they could draw more current and therefor blow the lamps. I have had that issue with a microwave I repaired and a loose contact drew lots of current and kept blowing a fuse.



Nashou
 
Last edited:
Hello rottalpha, thank you for your input and thank you Nashou66 (what name do you prefer?). I found the stuff written in this thread from around April 2021 including contributions from you, rottalpha! From my point of view, I found nothing conclusive. Thank you for the link for the lamps in Germany. I will defo buy them if no (buying from Europe in the UK is now a Brexit nightmare due to horrible VAT and import duties). I bought a 1970's thingy for 350 euros from Germany and was shocked I had to pay an extra £80 for HMRC coffers making me now very shy of any trade with Europe.

The new ones from Mouser, I've not tried fitting yet. I opened the bag and checked them out. They measure 23.2 ohms. It that good? They also appear to be about 5mm long!

The other, other alternative, did someone mention LED's? I hated all eco stuff at first but now love 'em as they seem to last long as Athanasios. (I have four 230v, 6w ones, all on 24/7 for eight years still good). A link for warm white ones that would be suitable for B-2, would be fantastic if, such a thing exists? I found these on UK ebay. Will they work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373737268584?hash=item57047a2568:g:hkMAAOSwPQlhUrwY&amdata=enc:AQAHAAABAO2ky2VXpcDTpe4lgUFZr4MS/RyAAIt0C82B/5oqO9ivMyurlRniHhERQxW7xFzTjlmYV8anKTsRMbhRGdFRvtggPIjLX0Mi92mLTgLdqRTVegQveT0hyjeUp7D+c/ntrLrB0KSuR7B+kbaNPnEh35asPkD/IxHNPYUYJ4rtjlVpwjou0ub01k/mYd8MrEa6OS2+uZQ8t0dz7Fb0X7fEUZbMKHvmVsnjDWlhsmX2rA4XjMffdYykUwbUgdtwjwtZDgrA3PdtcXWNL2xgt2gc429PlGc7VFvffibzHEJCoRVwc7lbsFHwiJsftw0r6bzOm7ypxjdwUfs/v+dzaP2XzyY=|tkp:Bk9SR4TFwKXRYQ
 
Last edited:
Ok so, I'm a bit confused. I see from further reading that the original lamps are LED's (look like tungsten to me). Parts list description LED SLP1198. However, there is a thread here called "Getting LEDs right on Yamaha receivers and amplifiers".
Here, the discussion is replacing or, converting original lamps to LED's.
I see that the lamps in the ebay link above are 30ma. Maybe thats not bright enough? Or, are they three or more times brighter than what we were used to in older tungsten than the watts specified in modern household lamps?
 
Last edited:
Ok so, I'm a bit confused.
B-2 Incan Bulds.jpg
I see from further reading that the original lamps are LED's (look like tungsten to me). Parts list description LED SLP1198. However, there is a thread here called "Getting LEDs right on Yamaha receivers and amplifiers".
Here, the discussion is replacing or, converting original lamps to LED's.
I see that the lamps in the ebay link above are 30ma. Maybe thats not bright enough?
Given your beautiful silver faced B-2 I'd stick with the OEM incandescent bulbs over LEDs.:thumbsup:
 
Hi Vint Age, I'm getting persuaded to bow to you and rottalpha authority and buy those lamps from Germany. When I open the B-2 up, I will verify that I have about 11.6V on the lightbulbs feed.

I just hoped there might be a better, longer lasting alternative as thats seven bulbs gone in 18 months. Three, all in one go.
 
I just hoped there might be a better, longer lasting alternative as thats seven bulbs gone in 18 months. Three, all in one go.
Yes LEDs will last longer but in your case a fresh set of quality bulbs should last for many many years ... unless something is wrong with 11.6V DC
 
Last edited:
Thank you Vint Age. I pulled the trigger and bought those lamps from Deutschland. When I get them and fitted them, I will post again to update on progress including verification of the 11.6V DC 'ishness.
 
IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1298.jpg Got the bulbs from Deutschland as instructed by rottalpha and checked voltage which was a steady 11.77V. I chanced thats OK. These bulbs are physically quite bigger than the ones I previously fitted. Did my best positioning the bulbs as I don't have the holders. The B-2 is now very happy with her beautiful eyes now adoring her grateful listeners. Fingers crossed, she won't start winking at me again.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom