• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B2

Yeah, lifting these things is no joke.

I pulled my back once moving my NS-1000s and I'm only 44!
I remember when I saw my B-2, it was the first one I had ever seen IRL.
I could not believe how much bigger physically it was than it appears in pics, and it was also bigger than any of the Sony VFETs I had, or any other piece of gear I had ever owned. LOL
And when I went to pick it up I was also quite surprised that it is even heavier than it's looks would indicate, and it LOOKS heavy.
 
Hello again, one of the B-2 meter bulbs blew a while back and I finally got round to replacing it. When I switched the unit back on, the other three bulbs blew. Replaced them too and all seems well with that, for now.

While I had it open, I noticed one side was hotter than the other so, thought I would test bias, etc. The hot side metered 105mV and the other side 52mV. I made the adjustments to 40mV, each (those little pots are so twitchy). Now, could this have accounted for one side getting hotter, please? Is it normal for this kind of drift, please?

One more thing, I advise anyone not to send their NS-1000 tweeters to Donnett in Belgium. After eight months, mine came back in worse condition than I sent them and without the grills!
 
Last edited:
Now, could this have accounted for one side getting hotter, please? Is it normal for this kind of drift, please?
Yup, 105mV would certainly make that side a lot hotter! :yikes:
One more thing, I advise anyone not to send their NS-1000 tweeters to Donnett in Belgium. After eight months, mine came back in worse condition than I sent them and without the grills!
Advice taken. :thumbsup:
 
Thank you Vint Age. B-2 amplifying things for a while now IMG_0321.jpg and the hot one has cooled to same as the other one. I'm all smiles. However, I will put in my Calendar a note to check it again every 18 months or so.
 
You see no C-2 in there. A pretty good Meridian 101 taking duty. I did something bad to the C-2 while cleaning it. No bass on one channel. I read that the C-2a and C-2x were better than the C-2, anyway? A C-2a (I think) was sold in Japan auction recently. It was 100v or 110v so, didn't consider it. Would it be possible to change it to 230v's if another one turned up in the future?
 
Doh! Never thought of that. Having now looked into it, price will equal the amp output of the transformer. Hopefully, the Yamaha pre-amp are not too hungry.
 
A step down transformer is just a few quid for one with an output of say, 0.5 amps, but get dearer with more powerful ones. A 0.5 amp transformer wouldn't power a US B-2 in the UK, for example.
 
A step down transformer is just a few quid for one with an output of say, 0.5 amps, but get dearer with more powerful ones. A 0.5 amp transformer wouldn't power a US B-2 in the UK, for example.
I don't think so. Power up might be possible but the ~115VA transformer will not like it...and neither your B-2.

Get yourself a proper sized transformer for that B-2 where the "mains" would not sag under load and the transformer does not become choke.
A .5A @230V (VAC RMS) would give you about 115VA. Each transformer in the B-2 is sized for about ~330VA . You would need to size your mains step up or step down transformer (based on application) to be at least twice that.

e.g. if the two internal transformers are rated at 330VA each (IIRC), then you probably want a 660VA step up transformer at the minimum. In my book, anything less than 1kVA for that B-2, would be too "skinny".

The C-2 is a different story.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Rottalpha for that. What I am actually considering is a 100V Yamaha C-2 / C-2a or C-2x all of which consume up to around 30 watts (I already have UK spec B-2). Can you tell me what spec step-down transformer would be suitable from 230V to 100V for such a pre-amp, please? As, I have no idea?
 
Back
Top Bottom