• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Looking Receiver of all Time

for a classic simple look, I always liked the Sony STR-7065 receiver or the Yamaha CR-2040, but for luxury, i always liked the beastly Marantz receivers with the gold faceplates, such as the 2500/2600. They were obscenely brutal yet beautiful.
 
Rotel RX-802.
Rotel802.jpg

Powerful. Simple. Functional.

Unique style.

Nuff said.
 
I am looking for a pic, but in the 70's I had a Spectrosonic Design 2000 (I think) It was way clean. When turned off it was just all black. When you lifted a small hinged section at the top...there were all the controls. All lights came on thru the glass front, all blue. You could adjust the volume without lifting the door. I'll look for pics but during that time in my life (first wife) I'm sure I burned them all one night! LOL
 
dsorcerer:
After years of occasional searching, you are the first person I have encountered who recalls that handsome receiver. My brother owned one, and it was indeed a beaut. Spectrosonic was one of several Pacific Stereo house brands, and apparently a number of receivers were marketed under that name, but only one was styled like the one you describe. If I recall correctly, one issue of Stereo Review actually had a cover photo of Julian Hirsch holding that receiver, but mysteriously the magazine's contents made absolutely no mention of it. Best speculation is that this was clever marketing. Stereo Review was owned at that time by CBS, which owned Pacific Stereo. But Pacific Stereo never allowed their house brands to be reviewed (even though some, such as the Concept line, would have shown very well), because it did not want any of their products to outshine the mainline brands that its stores carried, such as Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, Harman Kardon, etc.
My recollection is that the receiver, while not especially powerful, performed very well, except that its blue light exhibited a slight hum that would be annoying to audiophiles.
 
call me a sick puppy, but this is my vote. i've owned one since 2003 and it will always be my favorite. all 33lbs and 130 watts of it.
 

Attachments

  • VSX-D1S 55 (1).jpg
    VSX-D1S 55 (1).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 445
  • VSX-D1S 57 (2).JPG
    VSX-D1S 57 (2).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 585
  • VSX-D1S 57.JPG
    VSX-D1S 57.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 235
I am looking for a pic, but in the 70's I had a Spectrosonic Design 2000 (I think) It was way clean. When turned off it was just all black. When you lifted a small hinged section at the top...there were all the controls. All lights came on thru the glass front, all blue. You could adjust the volume without lifting the door. I'll look for pics but during that time in my life (first wife) I'm sure I burned them all one night! LOL

That was the Spectrosonic Design 220. I had one for a long time as a teenager, and took it to college. There was a lot of open space inside the cabinet, which I used by putting in much larger power supply capacitors. That was my first ever tweak, and it was so much better for bass, I was hooked. My second tweak was removing the lettering on the hinged panel, and Letrasetting on "Supersonic Megabake 5000". That helped the sound too.
My dad still has two of them, I've been meaning to get over to take some photos.
 
Man, I'd love to see those photos. I do recall the receiver being quite unusual and handsome for its era. And I recall the reported tuner specs as being strong, and the amp specs as being strong in terms of distortion (though it was not a powerful amp I don't think). I have no idea if the actual performance lived up to the specs though -- but it did sound nice.
 
call me a sick puppy, but this is my vote. i've owned one since 2003 and it will always be my favorite. all 33lbs and 130 watts of it.

I agree,.............you are a sick puppy. :yes::D

I once thought black was so chic, back in the 80s, but it gets old too soon. There is something about the retro look that beats any black. That 2330 above is lightyears ahead in the looks department. My 2250, while less than half the rated output is also beautiful. I will always go for the vintage gear, when they were made by hand, with loving(?) care.

That is why I am reverted back to the tube gear. If you can't get your speakers to bring down the house with 30watts per channel, your speakers are not sensitive enough.

BTY, if you really like black, why not combine it with a more vintage look. The Sansui 5000X is a certified classic, along with the 4000, and 2000X, which are almost identical. All of them will never go out of style, and they are sure-fire collector's items. I own a 5000X and my Dad's 2000X, and they both have a very mellow and detailed sound.

5000X.jpg


Now this is beautiful. Typical Sansui class.
 
My vote still stands with this Pierre Cardin masterpiece:

ShowSetton1.jpg


I think most can agree that this is one of the best looking receivers of all time.
 
My really bad pics of my Realistic sta-2080. I didnt like the original colors so i replaced the bulbs and made color filters, Dark amber for the analog meters and light amber for dial. I think it looks great, closely matches my pioneer M-90 power amp.
shannon
 

Attachments

  • audio 008.jpg
    audio 008.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 609
  • audio 0005.JPG
    audio 0005.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 377
My really bad pics of my Realistic sta-2080. I didnt like the original colors so i replaced the bulbs and made color filters, Dark amber for the analog meters and light amber for dial. I think it looks great, closely matches my pioneer M-90 power amp.
shannon

That is because Pioneer made it for Radio Shack. I'm pretty certain of this, but have no verification. But I remember hearing that RS and Pioneer have had a working relationship for many, many moons.
 
Back
Top Bottom