• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Speakers Made In The 70s

Audiotronic speakers, incorporating VLD-12 ribbons and KEF drivers.

audiotronic.png


Edit: it does say 94-95 at bottom there, but as far as I have been able to find out these speakers use VLD-12 ribbons, they went out of production in the late 70's.
I don't think those KEF drivers where available in the 90's either.
 
Last edited:
No offense, but back in the day we called those dico speakers.

No offense taken, either you haven't heard them on the right gear og today's speakers aren't good anymore like they used to be. Many who have own B&O, klipsch, xtz and so on, says that they play really great and can keep up with many other hifi speakers that cost 2-3 times as much :)

It might also just be yours and others opinion and we none of us has the same taste in sound and speakers. :)

I will soon make a compare between 12tr/s1 and a pair of acoustisk force prototype for the amor grand (a 5000$ speaker) :)
 
The best speakers made in the '70's were the Jensen LS-6's. They were the best because those were the first "real speakers" I ever got. My father purchased them for me and I have fond memories of them. Big walnut cabinets, 15" woofer, two mids and a tweeter. I was in heaven. I'd come home from school, crank them up and smile. I was proud of my gear.

They may not have been the best "sounding" or most "accurate" (no, I'm not defining) but they sounded great to my teenage ears. In many ways we are smarter when we are younger because we listen to enjoy. Sometimes as we learn more about this hobby we listen to over analyze. That often sucks the fun out of listening.

When I think of '70's speakers I always remember those Jensens.

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/jensen/ls-6.shtml
 
You do realize that asking which is the "best" speaker is like asking which car was best back then, or even now. There is no right answer - it is up to the individual what they like. Enjoy what you like. If we all agreed on the same speaker, car, whatever, it would be a very boring world. e.g. - "We all like white cars"
 
Best No Name Speaker of the 70's

The Mighty Modular Component System speaker #8228! All 80lbs of them each.
 

Attachments

  • downsized_0321132034a.jpg
    downsized_0321132034a.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 40
I really enjoyed my Dahlquist dq-10.....Don't know if there the best.....But they sure shook up the speaker world. I know I could just kick my self in the ass for letting mine go.
 
The DQ 10's were a most pleasant & innovative speaker.

I started my real post mono audio life with good old B&W DM6's (pregnant kangaroos). Loved them! Then moved to Magneplanar & have been with numerous generations of them ever since. From early Tympani 1D's to MG 20.1's
 
The best 3 ways I heard in and from the '70's were JBL L300's. They were just so much more dynamic than the others I listened to and could be both delicate and powerful at the same time. They are also very accurate, unlike the L-100's which were voiced to match another monitor.

If I wanted an L-100 type speaker, I'd go for the Pioneer HPM-100's over the JBL.

Of course, "best" is relative and depends heavily on the music you listen to.
 
Seeking the "best" is an exercise in futility. "Best for the money" would be an easier quest to meet. That being said, Pioneer HPM-100 for $250 each. The next price point would be EPI A500 for $500 each. Next level would be Acoustic Research AR9 for $1000 each. There were better speakers, but the price points were well out of reach for me to consider.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
I would say altec but altec never made 3-ways from what I understand but, overall some best from that era if tuned properly. You got jbl as well which are basically altec offspring during that era. The other speakers never get mention due to name is technics. The technics sb7000a is a completely astonishing sounding speaker set. It was developed in the 70's but didn't do too well in high end market when released in the US due to reputation technics already had cause of their abundance of craptastic rack systems. That's why high-end technics stuff stays in Japan now.

The polk monitor and sda(I believe the sda series was developed in the 70's) are good as well.
 
Last edited:
Allison: One

Two tweets two mids two 10" woofers, no matter where you sit in the room it's always pointed at you
 

Attachments

  • allison 1-3.jpg
    allison 1-3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom