• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Vintage Preamp

Hey Harvestor, I'm not bashing the PAS preamp but it doesn't belong in the "Best Vintage Preamp" listings as well as a few other's listed here.
They sure do have a following though and lots of mods that you can do to them. What amp are you using it with? Most were sold as kits and intended to be used with the matching Dynaco amps.

BillWojo
 
I have gone through a lot of vintage gear, but this one has stayed with me and I dont see myself parting with it anytime soon.
2akilhw.jpg
 
My favorite preamp is my McIntosh C28. It's circa 1972 and though solid state it has a touch of tube-like warmth to it that I love. It also has a great number of useful knobs that allow for making fine adjustments, accounting for room acoustics or issues with components upstream or downstream. I particularly enjoy the dial that lets me send both channels to one speaker or the other or one channel to both speakers. It's great for testing and auditioning other components. It has two great phono stages and it sure is pretty. Unfortunately it's getting hard to find these guys in good shape for under $1500 and they are a bear to ship.


My second favorite is my Hafler DH101. This is a no frills preamp that can be had for a steal. It's probably a better fit visually and sonically with the other 80s components being mentioned here. The Hafler DH101 is what I'd call a clean colorless preamp. It has a phono stage but I haven't used it enough to comment on its quality.

I'd like to hear a few of the Marantz preamps being mentioned by others as I've enjoyed just about every Marantz receiver I've ever heard.
 
I have gone through a lot of vintage gear, but this one has stayed with me and I dont see myself parting with it anytime soon.
2akilhw.jpg
I must admit that is a pretty piece of gear. It has the "Mode" dial every preamp needs and that centered volume dial is just calling out to me.
 
The Sony TA-2000F. These are selling for crazy money these days. I have the matching 3200F power amp, but just can't justify the price of the preamp. The build quality is nice and for the time it was built you don't find that many preamps using so many film caps instead of lytics.
 
Does this Lafayette excell McIntosh C11 and C20? Perhaps ARC SP-3? CJ PV-1 and PV-8? I have these and others but not the Lafayette yet.

Terence

Terence, I haven't heard your preamps and only have a few in my audio pile (Hafler, McIntosh, Kenwood, DIY, ...) I can tell you it is a nice pre and doesn't need a lot of updates to use. I did replace the selenium diode and a few caps but pretty low maintenance. I'm pretty sure I have the original tubes. Seems to get a lot of hype on the 'Net. Your SP3 gets a lot of hype too.

The RCA spacing is narrow but is typical with this vintage.

I've slowly migrated from tubes to sand in the listening room so it doesn't get much use but do bring it out on special occasions.
 
Aloha
today picked up a Sony TA-2000F from Customs Office
unfortunately there is no Signal ,power on lamps ok but no Sound out the Speakers to bad it's a case for Heinz the trusted Technician
Big surprise when take off the hood
found a jumper for the required Voltage that's gorgeous
Cheers
:beerchug:
Outside
15669326950737304851795013690558.jpg
and inside very good
15669328618018246881653523695235.jpg
 
Last edited:
My preamp history is exclusively vintage !

A VanAlstine rebuilt Dynaco PAS3x was my start. The Pas is denigrated by many, probably based upon listening to a vintage example with leaking caps and worn tubes. Slow and veiled right? But how many have listened to a fully rebuilt VA PAS ? The final version with the PT relocated to the back panel. It sounds like a different preamp. Clean articulate bass, liquid midrange, and very clean and extended HF. Great soundstage and transparency. One can easily hear changes from tube rolling. Still a bit of a sleeper and found for abt $500 give or take. If I had to go back to a low cost minimalist vintage system, I would use this preamp and a pr of restored Heathkit W4 amps.

Next step was to a Conrad Johnson PV5. Better phono stage and sounded more tubey lush in comparison. Great transparency and easy to listen to. Mine went through tubes and was sensitive to microphonic/noisy tubes. This pre allows for independent selection of left or right channels. I found this to be useful when listening to mono LPs.

I upgraded to an Audible Illusions M3 which was a revelation in comparison. Really good pre with an excellent phono stage. Dual volume controls were sometimes difficult to use however. Still cheap. I sold it when I found a great deal on a M3A.

I currently use an ARC SP10mk2. All of the good parts of the above preamps and then some. It excels at microdynamics and delivers 3D spacial information. I can hear small changes in height when a musician moves around for example. Ability to change phono loading is very useful along with ability to run 2 TT without changing leads.

I recently acquired a Mac MX110Z. It will be restored before any serious listening is done.

One of these days I will look for a Fisher 400cx.

I have experience with

Hafler DH101 Nice cheap pre that is easily improved. Musical Concepts used to sell an upgrade package that substantially improves the sound of this pre by removing tendency to sound shrill, while improving detail resolution and soundstage.

NAD 3020 (integrated amp) run as a preamp. Good clean relaxing sound at the expense of frequency extremes and transparency. Rather than sounding ragged and fatiguing, this design does not resolve every detail and sounds better for it. Sins of omission as it were.

McIntosh C26 C28. Both were in good operating condition. Just ok sounding and better suited to background or non critical listening. But I can understand how and why so many people love them.

Marantz 7c. Mine was completely rebuilt with all new caps, resistors and upgraded PS. Maybe the rebuild went overboard, but my example sounded underwhelming. Narrow soundstage, not much depth or inner detail. Frequency extremes were well defined and midrange was attractive.

Harman Kardon Citation 1. Mine was restored, not rebuilt...new PS and one or two caps. Sound was good, and I could hear the potential for better sound through a more comprehensive rebuild. Flexibility was welcome. I know many love this one, and I have an open mind.

Just my opinions, others may differ.
 
If preamp equals phono stage ..and in my head it does ..then my vote for reasonably priced but seriously good goes to ..

Superphon
Audible Illusions ..
and VanAlstine modified Dynacos ..

We need a new word for the volume control, switching boxes that are called passive preamps ...
(passive and amplification are mutually exclusive words)
 
Hmmm, interesting read although no new posts for about 14 months.... wonder what preamps the original poster has gone thru since 2015?
My 2 cents...from all the preamps that have run thru my systems, the standouts were...
The Modulus by Audible Illusions, I had a 2, heard the 3 was even better...would highly recommend.
Anything made by BAT ( Balanced Audio Technology)
 
80's and 90's Bryston are decent, I owned the 11B. Good phono sections.

I also owned a Luxman CL32 tube unit and now have a Luxman CL35 mk3. Good sounding with nice phono sections. I actually prefer the phono section of my CL35 over my Audio Research SP6c-1 section, but I prefer the line section of the ARC over the Luxman.
 
Parasound P/LD 1100. Bought it new in 1996...still going strong. Topping E30 is running through the direct input, feeding the Audiolab 6000CDT CD transport. It doesn’t have a phono section, but I don’t need one. Dual mono and class A, designed by John Curl.

72D0A318-5B49-4618-B101-900BDEB2A83C.jpeg
 
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A...I bought mine new in Sept. 1998 and the only time it has been turned off is if I'm going out of town.
It's used not only for music but for TV, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom