• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Big expensive quality amplifier market dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a "big old expensive Japanese battleship amp" nerd, and there's still plenty of new options. Yamaha have you covered, as do Technics, Rotel, Marantz, even Onkyo have just released a power amp with honking great VU meters. Lovely.

Plenty of (admittedly somewhat more boutique) options available from British/European manufacturers too.
 
There is a huge range of quality gear that falls in between the tiny plastic boxes and the very expensive gear. The quality of sound is always important but also important to many, maybe most of us, is the visual aesthetic of our music pieces. That satisfying wow factor. Having the inexpensive Chinese amps as an option is great for the frugal, whether by choice or necessity, but for not very much more those who love to enjoy the look and style of their audio gear and other consumer items have plenty of options without having to leap up into the monetary stratosphere.
 
I'm put in mind of the cheap little Sonic Impacts chip amp of 20-25 years ago which did a fine job powering Lowthers, Altec Duplexes and other high E speakers in our Chicago horn club.

IMG_0747.jpeg
 
My amplification is all home-brewed vacuum tube gear. Two mono-block 140 watt power amps that weigh about 90 pounds each (you need one for each ear!) and a 2-box tube preamp comprise the setup. That setup has no right to sound that good. And, if any of it breaks, I mercifully do not have to ship it anywhere for repair. I haul it upstairs on a dolly, put it on my electronics bench, and go to work on it. So far, I have not needed to repair anything on any of it yet outside of replacing worn-out tubes. I made it a point to get the fit and finish to look good, so they are pleasing to look at, for those who like that sort of thing. That's this chicken! Bedawk!
 
I think I know the answer but what speakers do you have paired with your Fossi V3s? Probably JBLs….lol
Do you think a pair of large Advents would work well? I have those connected to a 10w Marantz 2010 and it’s just not working well. It’s OK but not great. I’m thinking a pair of V3s and the Fossi preamp. And possibly some better bookshelves on stands and sell the Marantz and Advents

Thoughts anyone?
I currently use a pair of L5s for the front left and right channels in a 5.1 system and another pair of L5s in a 2.0 system that is used more for music. Also, I use a pair of Fosi ZD3s in the 2.0 system where a Windows 11 computer is used as a source for 99% of the time. It is connected to a Fosi ZD3 DAC via a USB connection. I am VERY pleased with the sound quality of this system. The Fosi V3 Mono and ZA3 amps have very similar sound quality with some thinking that the ZA3 is a little warmer than the V3 Mono. If I were choosing between them today then I would go for the V3 Mono since it has PFFB circuitry and are dedicated mono amps where the ZA3 can work as a mono or stereo amp. I think the newer small class D amps will work well with about any speaker that isn't highly inefficient. I haven't personally listened to any of the Fosi pre-amps so I can't say if they are as good as the reviews have been for them. From what I have seen, the general consensus is they are completely transparent and do their job well.
 
I have one of those big heavy silver amps in my listening space but….i am thinking Fossil V3 monos and the 3 input Fossi preamp for a family room system. Add in a SMSL CD player plus a small tuner and that’s a complete little system for under $600 with mono blocks. Then add in some quality bookshelve speakers
The wife likes the small form factor as well
Let us know how it comes out. I have to admit, that the main thing that keeps me from trying the Fosi stuff, is that I don't care for the style of marketing they do. But it may be really good. I was really impressed with the Wiim amp. It could not match the medium bog dollar stuff I have, but it easily performed as well as my best vintage Pioneer or Sansui gear. It has it's own wound. Very similar to my Bel Canto Ice powered integrated. It's warm and the mids are very musical. I also love the small form factor.
 
Let us know how it comes out. I have to admit, that the main thing that keeps me from trying the Fosi stuff, is that I don't care for the style of marketing they do. But it may be really good. I was really impressed with the Wiim amp. It could not match the medium bog dollar stuff I have, but it easily performed as well as my best vintage Pioneer or Sansui gear. It has it's own wound. Very similar to my Bel Canto Ice powered integrated. It's warm and the mids are very musical. I also love the small form factor.
The newer class D dedicated amps using the TPA3255 chips have only one job to do and that is to amplify a signal. There is nothing inside them to get in the way of their mission. The ZA3s I use are dead silent, very transparent along with good imaging, soundstage, etc. IMO, I think there are compromises to sound quality when numerous functions are jammed into a small area. Speaking in regard to Fosi, I think one reason they sound so good together is because of the amps, DAC, pre-amp etc. being dedicated units. Then add in things like XLR connections between units, individual power supplies, easily swapped op-amps, etc. makes for a very clean, dynamic, transparent and configurable sound.
 
Last edited:
The newer class D dedicated amps using the TPA3255 chips have only one job to do and that is to amplify a signal. There is nothing inside them to get in the way of their mission. The ZA3s I use are dead silent, very transparent along with good imaging, soundstage, etc. IMO, I think there are compromises to sound quality when numerous functions are jammed into a small area. Speaking in regard to Fosi, I think one reason they sound so good together is because of the amps, DAC, pre-amp etc. being dedicated units. Then add in things like XLR connections between units, individual power supplies etc. makes for a very clean, dynamic, transparent sound.

I'm glad you mentioned the silence aspect, because in ALL of my many iterations of a 'main system' that have included amps big and small, tube, SS, integrateds, separates, old, new, the ONLY system that is absolutely silent with volume cranked and my ear a couple of inches from the tweeters has been my current Fosi arrangement of P3 into V3 Monos. Every other system I've ever put together had at least a tiny but of hiss, or hum, or some related noise at the tweeter. ONLY the uber high end Fosi pieces came together to create absolute silence.

Sounds crazy but it's true.
 
I'm glad you mentioned the silence aspect, because in ALL of my many iterations of a 'main system' that have included amps big and small, tube, SS, integrateds, separates, old, new, the ONLY system that is absolutely silent with volume cranked and my ear a couple of inches from the tweeters has been my current Fosi arrangement of P3 into V3 Monos. Every other system I've ever put together had at least a tiny but of hiss, or hum, or some related noise at the tweeter. ONLY the uber high end Fosi pieces came together to create absolute silence.

Sounds crazy but it's true.
Being dead silent at full volume seems to give a boost to the overall sound quality for amps like this. I think the reason is the dead silence in the music adds a dimension to the sound that is hard to describe. When I first took the ZA3s apart to swap op-amps I was sort of shocked at how simple the circuitry was in it. I'm not an electronics guru by any stretch but to get this much sound quality out of such a simple device left me scratching my head. I would say that they should be very simple to repair but in the event one goes bad it is far cheaper to buy a replacement than to pay for a repair. Plus, this would be a reason to upgrade to the latest and greatest model. :banana:
 
I'm holding onto an Marantz 2270, which I don't see any reason to swap out for anything else at this point. If I was starting from scratch though, I doubt that I would ever spend as much as these things are going for to get one and might end up going with something class D. I have a cheap little SMSL class D amp I use with a set of NHT SuperOne speakers for my computer amp and I'm always surprised just how good this little, very cheap system sounds. I don't actually use this system much, but had occasion to use it recently, listening to a friend's recordings online and I was once again amazed by the sound of this thing... though it didn't hurt that the music was really well engineered and produced...

I have to wonder if I would be able to tell much of a difference, or really hear much of an improvement when comparing old school type maps with better, ore recently high quality class D ones.
 
I run three QSC 1400's to drive my Vega D9s, KLH 20's and BIC Venturi's to spellbinding proportions. No they don't have the prestige of a McIntosh or the sleek lines of a SE-A5 but they have the goods for the headroom and all were made in America. I've heard a few of these modern class-D amps and personally I'm not impressed with their lack of headroom and while they're quite efficient I thought the sound was rather thin but this seems to be the trend with most of the "middle of the road" gear of today. I suppose this fits well with the modern throw-away mp3 downloads and computer generated garbage that litters the mainstream but I wouldn't say the market for quality is dead, some people do eventually come around to appreciate what a little extra money has to offer.
though it didn't hurt that the music was really well engineered and produced...
Personally I believe this is the key to a good sounding system regardless of how much one spends on their big amplifier, garbage in gets garbage out.
 
I run three QSC 1400's to drive my Vega D9s, KLH 20's and BIC Venturi's to spellbinding proportions. No they don't have the prestige of a McIntosh or the sleek lines of a SE-A5 but they have the goods for the headroom and all were made in America. I've heard a few of these modern class-D amps and personally I'm not impressed with their lack of headroom and while they're quite efficient I thought the sound was rather thin but this seems to be the trend with most of the "middle of the road" gear of today. I suppose this fits well with the modern throw-away mp3 downloads and computer generated garbage that litters the mainstream but I wouldn't say the market for quality is dead, some people do eventually come around to appreciate what a little extra money has to offer.

Personally I believe this is the key to a good sounding system regardless of how much one spends on their big amplifier, garbage in gets garbage out.
The QSC 1400 is an older, early 90s amp, maybe late 60s. It was very well regarded in it's time and a value leader. It's still a great amp with lots of headroom and drive. It was not made for home use, but at least one recording studio owner I knew used it for their main monitors. They are also pretty bullet proof.

I have not heard a Class D amp that could beat it. But there are lots of great sounding class D amps out there. They have a different sound.
 
I always wanted to try one of those.
You're really not missing much. I had one set up with small speakers (mini 7's if I remember correctly) and a cd walkman. I had all that mounted on a paddleboat with a trolling motor. There's no comparison to the great sounding chip amps of today but it was the best contraption I could come up with at the time for a little music out on the water.
 
There are several sweet spots for price vs performance. Spending $$$ doesn't always
sound better. But quality is quality. There's plenty of stuff in the middle, especially used.
I wouldn't drop the money for a Boulder amp. I don't like most of the class d amps.
So I pretty much ignore the extremes of the hobby. And the quality you find when you
Open up most of that Chinese stuff would turn your stomach.
 
There are several sweet spots for price vs performance. Spending $$$ doesn't always
sound better. But quality is quality. There's plenty of stuff in the middle, especially used.
I wouldn't drop the money for a Boulder amp. I don't like most of the class d amps.
So I pretty much ignore the extremes of the hobby. And the quality you find when you
Open up most of that Chinese stuff would turn your stomach.
Granted, there are a lot of Chinese made amps, DACs, pre-amps etc. that are terrible. However, over the past two years some very, very good high value audio separates have come to market. These components are competing with gear costing 2-4 times their price point. Also, the companies producing these components are being very aggressive with developing newer and better products at a fast pace. If they keep advancing their products at the current rate, in 4-5 years they will be competing with what are now solid mid teer audio components at lower teer price points. I have been into audio since the mid 1980s and I have never seen a time where so much value, quality and performance can be bought for so little money. To think that this is only the beginning of this era of high value components makes me anxious to see it play out.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom