• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Big expensive quality amplifier market dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have new gear that sounds great. I have heavy metal amps from the 60s snd 70s that sound great. I do not expect my 2025 amp to be around in 2075. I do expect my big amps to hit 100 years.

Different beasts.
 
I have new gear that sounds great. I have heavy metal amps from the 60s snd 70s that sound great. I do not expect my 2025 amp to be around in 2075. I do expect my big amps to hit 100 years.

Different beasts.
Audio gear has become the same as vehicles have recently regarding longevity. By the time they are old enough to need repairing, the cost of the diagnosing and repairing is to expensive to justify. Even then, a day will come where there just isn't enough old school mechanics or electronics techs around to repair the old stuff and keep most of it from going in the dust bin of history.
 
Personally I believe this is the key to a good sounding system regardless of how much one spends on their big amplifier, garbage in gets garbage out.
I agree with this sentiment. However I have many recordings that are simply "did they actually have a recording engineer?" Not all records are created equal.
 
Personally I believe this is the key to a good sounding system regardless of how much one spends on their big amplifier, garbage in gets garbage out.
While this is undoubtedly true, I decline to allow the quality of the recording to dictate my choice of music to play on my rig. With apologies to Alan Parsons, I built my system to listen to music. I don’t use music to listen to my system.
 
Judging by the trends, class AB linear amps are going to become boutique items, just as tube amps did when solid state became truly viable.

That's an interesting idea and I had not thought of it that way.

Size and weight of my gear has never been a consideration for me but I do understand the attraction of Class D amps.
 
Audio gear has become the same as vehicles have recently regarding longevity. By the time they are old enough to need repairing, the cost of the diagnosing and repairing is to expensive to justify. Even then, a day will come where there just isn't enough old school mechanics or electronics techs around to repair the old stuff and keep most of it from going in the dust bin of history.

Did you ever see the movie Passengers?
The main character is leaving Earth to be part of a new colony.
He is leaving because he fixes things and there was nothing to fix anymore on Earth.
 
Did you ever see the movie Passengers?
The main character is leaving Earth to be part of a new colony.
He is leaving because he fixes things and there was nothing to fix anymore on Earth.
I have. It is a good movie.
 
Fosi Audio, Topping, Ayiama are all getting great reviews objective and subjective. Does it make any sense today to invest in a huge heavy mono blocks from Macintosh, Bryston and others at stratospheric prices?
If anyone is buying Macs or Bryston as investments I would not want to be their money guy. My guess is the ROI would be dismal. The guys buying these heavy weight systems do it because they want to own and appreciate these incredible systems. Some then match them with some outrageous and frequently spectacular speaker systems. They set them up in rooms where every surface is treated and even the shape of the room is optimized for listening. It's their money. I'm glad they have that option. My lowest end system, the one that I actually listen to the most, and from which I derive immense joy cost less than CAD$400. If you do your homework there are amazing systems to be had and available at all price points.

/ Enjoy the music
 
If anyone is buying Macs or Bryston as investments I would not want to be their money guy. My guess is the ROI would be dismal. The guys buying these heavy weight systems do it because they want to own and appreciate these incredible systems. Some then match them with some outrageous and frequently spectacular speaker systems. They set them up in rooms where every surface is treated and even the shape of the room is optimized for listening. It's their money. I'm glad they have that option. My lowest end system, the one that I actually listen to the most, and from which I derive immense joy cost less than CAD$400. If you do your homework there are amazing systems to be had and available at all price points.
The system I enjoy the most is also my least expensive one. All on it cost me less than $600 (speakers, mono amps and a DAC) excluding a Windows computer I use as a content source (video and music). I take a lot of pleasure putting something together that punches way above its price point whether it be music, hot rodding cars, etc.
 
The idea that longevity of gear is particularly important no longer rings true to me. I'm old enough to have seen numerous styles and generations of furniture, clothing, gadgets, electronics, housewares, etc come and go. Take furniture for an example. The beautiful, solidly constructed and hand finished piece that your grandmother was most proud of, and most wanted to pass down to future generations, is almost always also a piece that nobody in their right mind has any interest in 40 years later. That piece that cost her so much and to which she is so attached is going to a landfill or goodwill when she dies.

The same can be said of most any piece of stereo equipment. The piece that any of us may drool over, or bust out the moving dolly to acquire, is going to be seen as junk by most everyone else who looks at it or hears it. I myself, when visiting with a local guy who collects audio gear, have seen him look lovingly at expensive, esoteric pieces like gigantic Pass amps that also can heat a house, pieces that I would no longer have any interest in owning simply because they are so large and heavy. His kids will curse him when they have to hire someone to take his gear away. He just doesn't see it in those terms though.

The idea that any of this is an investment, or in-demand pieces will remain in demand when we're gone, is the height of hubris.

That's a significant part of the appeal of the small Class D stuff. It performs at a high level and poses no burden to acquire, to operate, to ship, to dispose of, to repair. It's the new, better paradigm IMO.
 
Buying most anything new is a money losing proposition. That also includes vintage equipment that had "soared" in value- but after inflation was taken into account, chances are you would still be far behind the ROI of the S&P 500.

For the most part, the only way to break even or earn a real economic profit is buying used gear.
 
Agree 100% caddy.

Esoteric gear will always be esoteric gear, by definition it is not for the masses and only a small fraction of people on this earth even have interest in it.

If the past predicts the future, high-quality items will always be desirable to some extent, to again a small fraction of people which is all that the supply will feed.

Audio gear has always been an extravagance, not an investment, and some does tend to “hold its value” better than other brands / levels of luxury but almost never up (inflation adjusted) from new.

I buy some things that I do because I can and they make me happy, not for anyone to be impressed (note my list of expensive gear in my signature line), jealous, nor burdened with when I pass. If my next-of-kin wants to sell stuff or keep stuff it will likely be worth their effort but that’s not ultimately the point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom