• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bob Carver has built new Amazing Line Source Speakers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of respect shown by some here for Bob Carver.

"All Audio, No Attitude"
 
I don't understand why it's so offensive to Carver fans that Bob might be using a tweeter from Parts Express. PE carries some pretty good stuff.
 
Those are folded ribbon drivers that are six inches long but have the surface area of one of the sixty inch ribbons that were in his previous Amazing Loudspeakers.
 
Those are folded ribbon drivers that are six inches long but have the surface area of one of the sixty inch ribbons that were in his previous Amazing Loudspeakers.

If these are a line source variant of that sunfire ribbon, these are going to be spendy. I'd like to hear them. It's interesting- I had thought those were an attempt to make a smaller speaker that sounded like the Amazings. Now they're making a line source because the small ones didn't sound big enough. At least he looks to be having fun!
 
Those are folded ribbon drivers that are six inches long but have the surface area of one of the sixty inch ribbons that were in his previous Amazing Loudspeakers.

According to the Sunfire site:
All XT-Series Cinema Ribbons share a specialized ribbon tweeter. At only 6 inches tall it boasts nearly 10 feet of ribbon material. Notice the faint lines in this picture? Each of those is a pass of the ribbon through the neodymium magnet's field. The numerous windings allow Cinema Ribbons to project an enormous soundstage while fitting in the palm of your hand. The golden sheen you see on the ribbon is from its coating of Kapton - a lightweight material that allows it to play at very high volume without overheating.

It says it has 10' of ribbon material due to multiple passes. Look closely at the Dayton driver and you'll see the exact same "faint lines" mentioned. If you can't see them I'll take a closeup pic of the ones I have here. If you have a link talking about the "folded" nature of the driver I'd love to see it. Marketing hype notwithstanding, it sure looks like a standard planar magnetic showing multiple windings.

I was thinking the same thing...

Are you equating disrespect with questioning an impossible claim (no distortion) or implying he is using an off-the-shelf driver that is accessible to the rest of us?

edit: note, I have plenty of respect for Bob Carver. While Pioneer and Marantz pieces have come and gone, I still have my TFM-22, CT-7, and MXR receiver. That he is a technical genius does not diminish the fact that he is a very good salesman.
 
- That has got to be the Dayton ribbon, right? The appearance is exactly the same, and from what I see above, so is the description. It's not like it's a cheap tweeter.

- Where are these white papers I'm supposed to be reading?

- I have no doubt that these play very loud without much increase in distortion, I have no doubt that's what the claim in the OP meant, and I think it's a bit silly we are still talking about that. Of course a 96dB line array can have some respectable dynamic range with low distortion.

- My skepticism of these speakers has nothing to do with a Dayton tweeter, or a lack of respect for Bob Carver. I think Carver is great.
 
I don't know Bob Carver or anything about him, but I like him already just for the fact that he has designed the feet for that thing patterned after a Klingon Battle Cruiser. Yay, go Trekies.
 
I sure hope they sound better than they look. Whenever I buy a speaker the aesthetics are part of the purchase equation. Irrespective of what they cost and how they sound to my eye they look like crap
 
Publicity born of controversy has never made Bob sweat in the past, in fact it's served him well.

At 4 pages in length already, i'd wager this thread will serve him well in the same capacity.

I have a feeling that his sentiments from reading this thread thus far would be something like "oh goodie! they're buzzing about them already".
 
Publicity born of controversy has never made Bob sweat in the past, in fact it's served him well.

At 4 pages in length already, i'd wager this thread will serve him well in the same capacity.

I have a feeling that his sentiments from reading this thread thus far would be something like "oh goodie! they're buzzing about them already".

Bingo and probably why he said it. Genius.
 
Amazing that the thing is not even out yet and no one here has even heard it. It's a speaker and the only way to know if it's any good is to listen to it. But there is no shortage of opinions already. It's a bit amusing actually.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom