• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bob Carver has built new Amazing Line Source Speakers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing that the thing is not even out yet and no one here has even heard it. It's a speaker and the only way to know if it's any good is to listen to it. But there is no shortage of opinions already. It's a bit amusing actually.

Well, I've seen the pictures. From the pictures I've been able to simulate what I think they'll sound like and I don't like them.
 
The speaker debut will be at CarverFest, 10-20 September 2011, in Almond, NC (Watershed Cabins).

The base concept, design & fabrication is by James Sauter, builder & co-designer of the speakers.

The mid-woofers were custom-made in China to Bob's design specification. They have a custom copper-clad aluminum voice coil winding for increased speed & better thermal capacity.

To my knowledge, the ribbons were done the same way (custom in China). Perhaps the manufacturer sells them to Dayton Audio, I don't know. It was my understanding that the Sunfire ribbons were a higher wattage rating than the Dayton ribbons, but I can't confirm at this time.

What I DO know is that many a "golden-eared" naysayer has crapped on Bob's designs & turned out looking foolish~

I look forward to auditioning these in person at CarverFest. I'll let you know what I think of them...

You guys sure do argue a lot here.....
 
To my knowledge, the ribbons were done the same way (custom in China). Perhaps the manufacturer sells them to Dayton Audio, I don't know. It was my understanding that the Sunfire ribbons were a higher wattage rating than the Dayton ribbons, but I can't confirm at this time.

Probably the same manufacturer. It wouldn't be the first that nearly identical ribbons had different characteristics and power handling. My guess is that the folded ribbons in the Carver tweets are longer than the PE models. Zaph Audio measured the PE units and gave them poor marks. I've never heard a Carver ribbon that was (to my bargain basement ears) less than spectacular, so I'd be surprised of they were the same.

I look forward to auditioning these in person at CarverFest. I'll let you know what I think of them...

So totally wish I could be there. Bob is a genius, and I'd love to meet him as well as other members of the Carver community.

You guys sure do argue a lot here.....

Seems I recall a few arguments on and between the Carver forums :) . People tend take this hobby a bit too seriously. Folks, it's just music & entertainment.
 
Are you equating disrespect with questioning an impossible claim (no distortion) or implying he is using an off-the-shelf driver that is accessible to the rest of us?

edit: note, I have plenty of respect for Bob Carver. While Pioneer and Marantz pieces have come and gone, I still have my TFM-22, CT-7, and MXR receiver. That he is a technical genius does not diminish the fact that he is a very good salesman.

He's right we should just shut up and sit and listen like well behaved fan-boys. No sense in thinking for ourselves or sharing informed opinions.

It personally doesn't matter to me whether these drivers he uses are some "superior oem product" or off the shelf. I would think as a good salesman he wouldn't admit if there were off the shelf anyways. And a lot of manufacturers will claim "secret sauce" even if it doesn't exist.

By the way, I don't see any reference as to the distance he measured "121 db SPL". Maybe it was at one-centimeter. :rolleyes: Nevermind, I should just do more of this: :ntwrthy:
 
If these are a line source variant of that sunfire ribbon, these are going to be spendy. I'd like to hear them. It's interesting- I had thought those were an attempt to make a smaller speaker that sounded like the Amazings. Now they're making a line source because the small ones didn't sound big enough. At least he looks to be having fun!

Have you heard the Cinema Ribbon speakers? They sound HUGE for their size. Nobody said they didn't sound like the Amazings; I think Bob just wanted to make something MORE amazing~ :yes:

Seems I recall a few arguments on and between the Carver forums :) . People tend take this hobby a bit too seriously. Folks, it's just music & entertainment.

You're right; point taken~ :thmbsp:

He's right we should just shut up and sit and listen like well behaved fan-boys. No sense in thinking for ourselves or sharing informed opinions

...Nevermind, I should just do more of this: :ntwrthy:

You can disagree without crapping on someones ideas.
 
He's right we should just shut up and sit and listen
It personally doesn't matter to me whether these drivers he uses are some "superior oem product" or off the shelf. I would think as a good salesman he wouldn't admit if there were off the shelf anyways. And a lot of manufacturers will claim "secret sauce" even if it doesn't exist.
+1
Many high end speaker manufactures use Seas and Scan speak drivers etc etc
FWIHR Klipschorns came with various EV ,Stephens,Eminance ,CTC and other components .
 
You can disagree without crapping on someones ideas.

I don't remember reading anyone here "crapping" on his ideas or how the speaker was executed. There was some talk about what the polar response would look like and that's about it.

What people did take exception to was the obvious hyperbole in claiming a specific output level "without distortion" which many uninformed would accept as fact. Now that is something that even somebody of Mr. Carver's expertise would have tons of trouble explaining. Questioning something like this is not "disrespectful" or "crapping".
 
I don't remember reading anyone here "crapping" on his ideas or how the speaker was executed. There was some talk about what the polar response would look like and that's about it.

What people did take exception to was the obvious hyperbole in claiming a specific output level "without distortion" which many uninformed would accept as fact. Now that is something that even somebody of Mr. Carver's expertise would have tons of trouble explaining. Questioning something like this is not "disrespectful" or "crapping".

I think you hit the preverbal nail on the head. Most audiophiles that have any experience have learned to look past the hyperbole. IME anyone looking for a hook to garner attention on this board is just looking for an argument. Whether that hook is valid or not your just gonna stir up controversy. In this case it came across as an obvious exaggeration which begged closer examination.

Shawn
 
The M.O. of the knock-off king is to grab the look of something quality and respected and replicate it cheaply. I don't know who made the tweeters involved in this debate but I doubt the Dayton unit is the original or "the one" to have.
 
Well, I've seen the pictures. From the pictures I've been able to simulate what I think they'll sound like and I don't like them.

Now that’s scary. There’s a lot more going on here than some objection over hyperbole or the use of Chinese made ribbon tweeters. I am not a Carver fanboy. Never owned a piece of equipment with his name on it. However, I do acknowledge his enormous contributions to audio and at best he deserves a little respect, at worst some tolerance. I don’t know what’s going on here; I really wish I did. I do know its ugly and embarrassing.
 
Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jon_Logan View Post
Well, I've seen the pictures. From the pictures I've been able to simulate what I think they'll sound like and I don't like them.

Now that’s scary. There’s a lot more going on here than some objection over hyperbole or the use of Chinese made ribbon tweeters. I am not a Carver fanboy. Never owned a piece of equipment with his name on it. However, I do acknowledge his enormous contributions to audio and at best he deserves a little respect, at worst some tolerance. I don’t know what’s going on here; I really wish I did. I do know its ugly and embarrassing.


I think you've missed the point of Jon's humor.
 
This thread got weird. I was kinda hoping we could talk about the speakers.

I'm not sure that's possible. Someone comments on an impossible claim and gets pimp slapped for "disrespecting" Bob Carver. Someone points out that the tweeter is an identical twin to a Dayton unit and gets pimp slapped because Bob would never use an off-the-shelf driver.

It seems nobody is allowed to ask questions about the speakers.

What happens if I ask about possible crossover issues related to center-to-center distance between tweeters and woofers? Is that curiosity or will it be taken as another afront to Mr. Carver?

All y'all know that Bob Carver is a member here, right?

I sure wish he'd chime in here. I'd love to hear about the speakers without the marketing hype.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom