• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bolivar Model 64 Speakers

Even laying flat, when you push with your finger there is a light rubbing (scratchy) sound, so
I assume it is the voice coil. I truly don't know what a rubbing voice coil is suppose to sound like,
but I guess that is it? Hate to tear apart, but I guess that is the only way to see what's up.

Yes that is a classic symptom. Especially if pushing in one area of the cone makes it worse, and/or pushing elsewhere makes it better or disappear. The voice coil is wrapped on a short cylindrical piece like toilet paper roll, and it sits in a narrow gap between the outer magnet and inner pole piece. If it's off center it will rub, sound bad and eventually wear through the voice coil wire. This driver may have a narrow VC gap, or it may just be a bad refoam job. I have never shimmed when doing a refoam but it sounds like maybe you should on this one. Actually I had one this spring that started rubbing at high volume, so I may have to get into shimming myself. It's a PITA but it's also a guarantee.
 
So are they wood veneer or vinyl? Would it be convenient to give a picture of the x-over? I'm wondering if it's underdesigned like the L-100 or if it's decent. I saw a pair of these once and passed for that reason, so I'd be curious.
 
So are they wood veneer or vinyl? Would it be convenient to give a picture of the x-over? I'm wondering if it's underdesigned like the L-100 or if it's decent. I saw a pair of these once and passed for that reason, so I'd be curious.

It is vinyl veneer but nicer than most vinyl veneers I've seen. The cabinets are very heavy, I think about 43 lbs each.

If I get time I'll pull the woofer again and take a picture of the crossover as it would be nice to document them.
 
I should have done that years ago when I had a pair go through (pics of the crossover that is). Not even sure I recapped them, fairly recent films probably. Look for electrolytics though.
 
1B41CF3C-9D7F-4236-AACF-905F12ABDCE1.jpeg EE7A6A5E-3674-44B1-BE3D-7C7C90166424.jpeg F4546222-4B4A-4DEE-B239-4D885F8ECF83.jpeg BE46A8B7-E520-4B83-A896-E63319DEE9F2.jpeg 8861438A-3B58-4B5E-9644-59B3CC0BC032.jpeg Here are a few pictures of the crossovers. I don’t enjoy having a screwdriver in my clumsy hands around speakers but thought it a worth to document the crossovers.
 
That tall cardboard thing, is that an electrolytic? Blue one definitely is. I'd change em both and replace the blue one with a film.

Funny they used such cheap speaker connectors on so many speakers back then. Nowadays even White Vans have 5-way binding posts, sometimes two pair. :cool: Not hard to switch them out though.
 
I had a pair of 64's I picked up on the cheap a number of years ago. Replaced the surrounds and did a cleaning. Took a test drive and loved them but I owned far to many speakers. I ended up listing them but it took me quite a while to sell them.
 
Well, Finally got my Bolivar 64s up and running. Had trouble with a voice coil rub on one of them, so got lucky and peeled up edge around basket, cut off dustcover and shimmed.
These voice coils have a tight tolerance, so now all is good. Sound pretty dang good, very impressed.
At the time I Picked these up at a yard sale, had no clue as to what they were. Just knew the associated equipment wasn't bad that was with them (Toshiba SA-750, Toshiba SRF-750, Dynaco 120A and Pat-4A)
Here they are rocking out in the Shed!
 

Attachments

  • 20191122_152312.jpg
    20191122_152312.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20191122_152326.jpg
    20191122_152326.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191122_152421.jpg
    20191122_152421.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Like
Reactions: S S
Well, Finally got my Bolivar 64s up and running. Had trouble with a voice coil rub on one of them, so got lucky and peeled up edge around basket, cut off dustcover and shimmed.
These voice coils have a tight tolerance, so now all is good. Sound pretty dang good, very impressed.
At the time I Picked these up at a yard sale, had no clue as to what they were. Just knew the associated equipment wasn't bad that was with them (Toshiba SA-750, Toshiba SRF-750, Dynaco 120A and Pat-4A)
Here they are rocking out in the Shed!


I have a set of these I owned since new and finally the tweeters blew and the foam went bad. I located some replacement tweeters and refoamed the 10" woofers. They are great speakers. I have JBL L-36 and they hold their own against them. Very tight punchy bass for the 10" woofers. I'm now a big JBL bookshelf fan, but these will stay with me. May get garage duty and will do a great job!
 
I bought a pair of these speakers back in 1983 when i was in high school. Tweeters blew out hooked up to my Marantz 2285B. put them aside, sold the Marantz (dumb move). Got another system that I still own - Rotel. Forgot all about the Bolivar's, but found them in my mom's attic a few months ago! Bought new tweeters and refoamed the woofers a couple days ago, now need to get them back in the cabinets and give them a test drive...can't wait!
 
Yea, the bass from those 10" woofers is hard to comprehend. Blindfolded, no one would
believe it or assume that you are running a sub.
 
Ok got mine up and running but right woofer sounds bad. Fuzzy. Voice coil rubbing? Not sure that repair is in my wheelhouse.
 

Attachments

  • F3070F42-EBC9-46D4-9B07-143DEFA8F127.jpeg
    F3070F42-EBC9-46D4-9B07-143DEFA8F127.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 17
Ok got mine up and running but right woofer sounds bad. Fuzzy. Voice coil rubbing? Not sure that repair is in my wheelhouse.

Does that happen at low volumes too or only at higher volumes?

If you gently press on the cone in various places around the circumference, is there anywhere where you can make it go away?
 
Does that happen at low volumes too or only at higher volumes?

If you gently press on the cone in various places around the circumference, is there anywhere where you can make it go away?
So far, it happens at any volume. Pressing around doesn’t seem to clear it up. I also rotated the woofer 180 degrees to see if that would clear it up, but no luck.
 
Ok got mine up and running but right woofer sounds bad. Fuzzy. Voice coil rubbing? Not sure that repair is in my wheelhouse.

Did you shim the voice coils? Like I stated earlier, they are tight, doubt you could get lucky enough with test tone, etc. I did try the ol' rotate 180 and it did not help me either.
Good luck!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom