arpod
Member
Update: went to a dealer to hear the Magnepans. They didn't have LRS so I listened the .7's - their room couldn't have been more different than the one where my speakers will go and I can't afford .7's but after reading so many comments about huge sound stage and zero dynamics I needed to have some sort of tactile experience for those words to be more than just words. I can say that my experience definitely lined up with everything I've read. Extremely clear and detailed, HUGE soundstage and zero impact. I didn't have a lot of time to listen so it's hard to really know how I feel about them. On the one hand I loved the big sound, the high end is extremely clear but not at all bright or fatiguing. I kept thinking "my mom would love these" - she doesn't like when it's too loud and she doesn't like the feeling of sound pressure hitting her. You really hear the music at the expense of feeling the music. Might be the only speakers I've listened to where I didn't really want to keep turning them up.
So it might sound like I didn't love them and for sure they're less fun to listen to than a big bookshelf or floorstanding speaker BUT I could totally imagine how they would FILL the whole room with sound and imagine that would be a really cool experience. In that regard they actually seem like the perfect speakers for social gatherings (remember those??) where the music fills the room but doesn't need to be very loud and doesn't trample all over your conversation. Obviously they'd be great for critical listening as well. I really want to hear these with a sub to see if that could supply some of the impact I was missing.
Long story short I'm going to get in line and order a pair of LRS. It's probably going to take a while to receive them. In the meantime I can listen to my plebeian box speakers. I plan on living with the Maggies for a while to see how they grow on me. If I end up not vibing with them they shouldn't be hard to sell.
So it might sound like I didn't love them and for sure they're less fun to listen to than a big bookshelf or floorstanding speaker BUT I could totally imagine how they would FILL the whole room with sound and imagine that would be a really cool experience. In that regard they actually seem like the perfect speakers for social gatherings (remember those??) where the music fills the room but doesn't need to be very loud and doesn't trample all over your conversation. Obviously they'd be great for critical listening as well. I really want to hear these with a sub to see if that could supply some of the impact I was missing.
Long story short I'm going to get in line and order a pair of LRS. It's probably going to take a while to receive them. In the meantime I can listen to my plebeian box speakers. I plan on living with the Maggies for a while to see how they grow on me. If I end up not vibing with them they shouldn't be hard to sell.
