• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose speakers..

Bose etched a pretty significant mark in the pro sound world in the early 70's when they provided FOH sound for the Montreux Jazz Festival. https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=Bose_in_Live_Music_Before_the_L1®_System

Galaxy Audio would create a business using the same drivers used in the Bose 800, in their Hot Spot mini stage monitors. Similar to Bose, Galaxy is still in business today making a very similar, and refined product.
 
When I was in the army serving in Germany (early 80s)...just about every other soldier living on base in the shacks had a hi-end system. Speakers tended to be Bose 901s, Cerwin Vega (the big ones), Pioneer HPM 1100, Klipsch La Scalas, Infinity, JBL...you get the picture. It was not unusual on a Friday and/or Saturday night to go to 3 or 4 rooms to listen to music (and smoke hash and drink booze)...once the sh*t talkin' started...Bose was always the "loser"...I know...means nuttin'...just was...

I remember back in the 70's when I had some buddies who were serving in West Germany, every time they came home on leave they would bring some killer hash with them..:naughty:

And there was a lot of hash around overall back then. Ah, good times ,those..:rolleyes:
 
And yet, the OP will never know whether he likes Bose speakers until he listens to them without bias going in…

No problem..I can overlook the bashing and judge for myself.

It's just like some of the guitar-oriented forums I go to, one in particular I walked away from some years back seemed to have a big problem with Marshall amps and 4X12 cabs..These people seemed to be into stuff like Fender Blues Jr.'s or even modeling amps (yuck!)..The smaller the better.

Fine with me, play your sterile-sounding modelers, bash Marshall all you want, and you can send me your 100 watt heads and 4X12's..I'l take good care of them! :D
 
Not sure about audiophiles but if you want to have fun, just get a pair and listen. I have a pair of original 901's. I set them up in my basement and was really impressed with the amount of bass coming out of those little boxes. I would love to set them up properly as Bose specified. The only place to do so is in the living room but my wife's piano takes up too much space.

Yeah, I checked out the 901's, very cool! But I'm looking for something a bit more compact and that I can just plug into my amp without fiddling with the extra EQ and so forth..
 
I imagine sharing your opinion based on actual experience is exactly what the OP was looking for, I have no issue with someone saying I had a pair of "X" and this is what I experienced.

What I have an issue with is the group of individuals that have negative opinions without any actual experience. The debate over the size, placement or number of drivers, lack of a "real" tweeter etc fuels their negative view without them ever owning or perhaps even listening to a pair for more than a few minutes, if at all; or maybe they heard a pair of poorly placed 901's in a bar playing music they didn't like so they walk away thinking all Bose speakers suck.

Opinions are welcome and encouraged, bashing should not be.

AudioKarma = All Audio, NO Attitude !!!

It's all good,man..:cool:
 
I heard Bose 901's on Okinawa in the same way. Go over to a guy's room and listen to what he had. I was going to get either AR3a's or JBL Century 100's until I heard the 901's. Never regretted the decision. Being a young guy overseas was quite an experience.

My San Sui 5000X was bought by one of my veteran buddies on his way to Vietnam..It was the base camp stereo over there, and then he brought it back home and it served him well for many years. When a channel went out, he bought a new system and gave it to me. I got it fixed, and it served me well for many years too..Then the channel went out again.

I'm going to have it totally restored later this year, it's a great-sounding unit that needs to be preserved, especially given it's history!
 
I was over there in the mid '70s and brought home some great equipment that has moved on over the years. It was like being a kid in a candy store.
Good luck with your renovation.
 
Last edited:
My main listening room speakers are Von Schweikerts, so maybe technically I’m not their target market either, but I find it difficult (for myself) to dismiss their products as being crap across the board. The Bose speakers I have, remain in my inventory because they have something pleasing to offer. I personally find it short-sighted to dismiss their entire line going back decades as being worthless. But that’s just me. And as I stated previously, I feel the weight of one’s opinion is directly proportional to their experience, and all too often, those who bash loudest have formed their opinions online and not in front of the speakers being discussed.
If you enjoy them, have at it. I have stated that a couple of times in this thread. You have obviously listened to other speakers and made an informed decision. Good on you. But you are not their target audience.
 
there's a bi-monthly auction near me... so i run across stereo equipment fairly often and on the cheap from estate sales... i was using a pair of 301's that i got for $30... was using them with a sony receiver... and i thought that they sounded amazing... until i ran across the 802's in the picture... i was lucky enough to buy a conrad johnson power amp for cheap... (fraction of the cost)... and i was on the lookout for a good preamp... and an 802 eq... i never found the preamp that i wanted... but i found an 802 eq... i got to thinking... i've got a mackie micro series 1402 mixing board in my storage building that i bought on the cheap... just because it was cheap... never had much use for it... but on a hunch i hooked up the mixing board... the 802 eq... and the conrad johnson power amp... this is my dream system... don't see how i can get better than this... sound is unbelievable... patched into the mixing board i've got my echo dot... a phillips cd player... and a technics sl-bd22 turntable... the echo dot gives me access to my music library on my computer though plex...

this pic isn't the exact setup i'm using as i took it before i got the 802 eq and had the brainstorm to use the mackie... just wish there was an on off switch on the bose 802 eq... who builds a piece of stereo equipment without a power switch??
 

Attachments

  • boseconrad.jpeg
    boseconrad.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
Cool! Welcome to Boseville! It's a relaxed comfortable community with no fatigue and plenty of lush music.

As to the power switch, you can get an inexpensive bluetooth remote on/off that will work easily. Use the Fob to turn on and off.
 
Back
Top Bottom