• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston Acoustics A40/HD5 Differences?

cary

Well-Known Member
What is the difference between the Boston Acoustics HD5 and A40? Opinions which sounds better?
 
Register to hide this ad
Not much of a difference. In fact the A40 Series II tweeters are a perfect fit in the HD-5s.

The A40s are a classic, the HD-5s are very similar in sound, minimal difference.

I've run them all- the original A40s with paper woofers, the series II with poly woofers, and the HD-5s. Minimal difference.
 
They were both great speakers for the price. The HD5's came after the A40s. Back in those days I worked at a shop and we carried the entire Boston Acoustics line. Personally, I really like the sound of the A series speakers. I think it sounded better than the HD series. I don't remember the specs though.

Back then, every speaker by Boston Acoustics, both car and home, were a fantastic speaker for the price.
 
Cant say wich sounds better but the BA A40s have 6.5 woofers VS the 5" for the HD5s.
I have a set of HD5s doing surround duty in my HT system, I havent heard them in their original config because I bought a set of aftermarket drop in woofers to replace the originals that need new Foam. The replacements I got have rubber surrounds and were cheaper than the Foam kits for the original drivers. I got the HD5s free as part of another deal. They sound OK for what I use them for.
 
Back
Top Bottom