• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bottlehead Stereomour on the way...

Would love to hear comments on the quality of the output transformers.

Nice work. Mine should be here in the near future.

:lurk:
 
While everyone is waiting for the review, here is a photo to hold you over.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 310
Last edited by a moderator:
I finished assembly of my Stereomour 3rd of December, approximately around 80 hours on it. I was driving a pair of Omega Super 3T speakers but decided to ship them back after break in. I am now using my Paradigm Titan speakers (89 db) and I can listen for HOURS. I cant with the Omega's.

As for the Stereomour, all I can say is...
um...ooooh...:music::music::music::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::banana::banana::banana:
Here is mine.

IMG_0582_zpsca8a8d54.jpg
 
Nicely done! I like the top plate finish. It reminds me a little of jeweling, only broader strokes. :thmbsp:

That is actually how it comes in the kit. Originally I was thinking about powdercoating or painting the top plate but when I saw the brushed finish I decided to leave it that way. :yes:
 
That is actually how it comes in the kit. Originally I was thinking about powdercoating or painting the top plate but when I saw the brushed finish I decided to leave it that way. :yes:

I'm a little disappointed that BH is shipping plates like this now. I created a similar jeweled look on my Foreplay and clear coated it with nitro lacquer. I thought it looked unique, but I guess it's just stock now. It is a nice look. I love the old race cars with the brushed aluminum bodies.

Be careful, even fingernails can cause scratches and oils from your hand can discolor the metal. The texture should hide small scratches pretty well though.

A picuture under the hood?
 
Well a bit of an update and here and quite a bit of confusion...

I've listened to this amplifier quite a bit and have tried it with both my Model 19's as well as the 605b/620 cabinets and both sound outstanding. So, as would naturally happen, what do we do when things sound soooo good. Upgrade!

Well, I ordered in some Sophia Electric 2a3's for about $250 and installed them into the Stereomour. Right out of the gate the dynamics were limited, less high end sparkle, less low end and very closed in imaging compared to the stock Sovteks that came with the stereomour.

Ok, so I figured they needed to break in, so I gave them some time....and some more time...and some more time.... All in all I probably have about 100 hours on these tubes and they don't sound any different from the day I took them out of the box.

Tonight I popped back the old Sovteks and right away the sound I remembered was back. 3d imaging, hair trigger dynamics, beautiful sounding top to bottom. My speakers just disappeared.

Now, I've read a lot of people praise the Sophia's on this board and others so I keep thinking that maybe it's me but I thought these were a very audible step DOWN from the Sovteks. Any Ideas? I know it's possible that I just prefer the Sovteks but given the Sophia's reputation I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on here....
 
I've tried Sovtek's, RCA's, and Valve Arts in my Paramours but prefer the 2a3c Shuguang.

I always thought the Sophia mesh plates were the top of the heap?
 
I think you have to trust your ears on this one. Expensive is not always better. It may be just that the Stereomour doesn't work with the tubes. It would be interesting to hear from someone else who has tried these.

The Sovtechs sound pretty good in my Stereomour. Not looking to change.......................yet.
 
I've heard personal comments that the Sovteks are really good. Others disparage them. System matching and personal preference ALWAYS plays a part in this. When I've been at audio shows, i.e., RMAF, I've heard many conversations in the rooms and hallways that completely diverge from my opinions about the very same systems. You just have to believe in yourself and your tastes. Refer to my byline.

Best,
John
 
I suppose that it might be possible to tune the circuit a bit to better suit the Sophias but suspect that your preference will still be for the Sovteks. I know that my own preference is for bright dynamic sound. I liked the Sovteks in my Paramours but agree with Poultry that the Shuguang 2A3Cs are a significant improvement.

Edit: Oops, just realized that my original 2A3s were Valve Arts, not Sovteks. Sorry for the confusion.
 
Last edited:
I wonder how the JJ's would sound in those amps as I read on some other form they are single plate, rugged and sound nice?
 
Back
Top Bottom