KeninDC
Hazy Cosmic Jive
Ruark
Ruark Audio has some really cool looking "small" audio designs. Sometimes we just want music and not a rock and roll show.
The new 685 and the other series 2 68x speakers have the tweeter floating in a magical gel.
Ruark
685 model was designed to be used primarily as surround speaker along with 683 fronts. They work very well in that role having good timbre match with these towers. But each multichannel setup assumes having a subwoofer to handle low frequencies. 685 can go as low as 60 Hz, but would benefit from sub help under 80. How someone talks about realistic sound of rock music, and ignores low bass is beyond my understandng. Even small room like 150 sqf will be best served with sub with any bookshelf and many floor standing spaekers.There is no mention of this assumption or the need for a subwoofer in B&W's literature on the 600 series. Your source?
Art: The 601, series 2 speakers were my first decent speakers oh so many years ago. I'm intrigued by the de-coupled tweeter in the new 600 series and am enjoying this thread.
685 model was designed to be used primarily as surround speaker along with 683 fronts.
Is the magical gel made out of fairy dust or unicorns :lmao: sorry couldn't resist.
Art, do you have any stand recommendations? I know from reading past threads of yours that you've been through a few. So far I have looked at Pangea and various ones sold from Parts Express.
Art: The 601, series 2 speakers were my first decent speakers oh so many years ago. I'm intrigued by the de-coupled tweeter in the new 600 series and am enjoying this thread.
685 model was designed to be used primarily as surround speaker along with 683 fronts. They work very well in that role having good timbre match with these towers. But each multichannel setup assumes having a subwoofer to handle low frequencies. 685 can go as low as 60 Hz, but would benefit from sub help under 80. How someone talks about realistic sound of rock music, and ignores low bass is beyond my understandng. Even small room like 150 sqf will be best served with sub with any bookshelf and many floor standing spaekers.
Looking forward to your further ruminations on this speaker Art.
I'm not really sure of any dealer close to me. Northeast MS is a desert when it comes to nice audio. I will probably just have to take a flying leap on the stands and hope for the best, much like I did with the 685's and Arcam.It is so hard to find good stands here in the states. I am using mine with Atacama Nexus 6 stands but I really think that they would benefit from a heavier stand. Pangea is OK I think that their bases are a bit undersized. If you can find a dealer with Atacama that would be a good place to start.
I'm not really sure of any dealer close to me. Northeast MS is a desert when it comes to nice audio. I will probably just have to take a flying leap on the stands and hope for the best, much like I did with the 685's and Arcam.
I have read that they do respond to a nice heavy stand.
Which Paradigms do you own. I was a long time Paradigm owner and fan. I've probably owned 25 sets of Paradigm speakers in my day.
I'm considering a DAC....

So far I am amazed at how much better the B&W's sound with the Brio-R in a smaller room. Front porting is working a charm in the room. They actually sound damn good in here! Quite surprising.