• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2

Do you ever play them loud?

I seem to recall that you like your volume quite low mostly.

I rarely do and what I call loud most folks around here do not. Though most folks I know do . Not sure what the point is. Are you curious how they sound turned up a bit?
 
They have an uncanny ability to pressurize a room, especially for their size. They were like that even in the bigger room. In my home office I exchanged them back and forth with the LS50's and the 685's were more engaging and in part because they filled the room from top to bottom and front to back. Engaging doesn't mean they sounded better or as refined but there is just something about them in this room.
 
OK guys now I'm just flat gettin' it on. Major comparison and shootout going on between the 685, LS50 and Dentons. A hell of a lot of fun and bit of a headache!
 
BTW, at present the LS50's are in dead last. I'm using the same amp, source, cables and music. There was an album last night from Vijay Iyer (just bought tickets for his show here next mo) where there was a snare drum that I compared on all three speakers and the KEF's were the least revealing and most confused sounding relative unraveling the rhythm and timing of the music. The snare sounded like a wooden spoon hitting an empty oatmeal box. Also the LS50's had the most difficult time filling the room with music and this is not a large room.
 
Last edited:
Yes it's 10x9x8. A very difficult room to make sound good. In that tiny room I have most of my 3700 CD titles, records, computer desk (in a former closet) and TV.
 
Yes it's 10x9x8. A very difficult room to make sound good. In that tiny room I have most of my 3700 CD titles, records, computer desk (in a former closet) and TV.

My intended room is spatially challenged as well. It measures 10 x 8 x 8, but I won't have a computer desk in it. I plan on running a power outlet in my closet and keeping the rack in there. Hopefully I can get going on it this weekend, as my mother has finally moved into her new house :)
 
Man - I think I would be Closter phobic in that room..

You use what you have...it is a bit closetrophobic. My home is only 1040 sq ft. My wife has the bigger room (by just a bit) for her hobby room. She needs more space. She has offered to trade me.
 
Today I started where I left off last night with the Dentons. Listed to a nice Beethoven solo piano album with Alfred Brendel and then moved on to some Delius and finally back to the Vijay Iyer Historicity album. I have now put the LS50's back in and more carefully fussed with placement and am getting better results...

...and yeah, this room is a bitch!
 
685 model was designed to be used primarily as surround speaker along with 683 fronts.

Huh... I thought the DS3 was the surround speaker for the 6XX line up. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/DS3.html

I mean, the Bowers and Wilkins site even says, "The DS3 is a wall-mounted surround speaker". The index of their product brochure lists the 685 as a main. See B&W's own assignment of speaker types on the last two pages of this PDF: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/Brochure/600-Series-Brochure-US.pdf
 
Huh... I thought the DS3 was the surround speaker for the 6XX line up. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/DS3.html

I mean, the Bowers and Wilkins site even says, "The DS3 is a wall-mounted surround speaker". The index of their product brochure lists the 685 as a main. See B&W's own assignment of speaker types on the last two pages of this PDF: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/Brochure/600-Series-Brochure-US.pdf
Idealy all speakers in surrou d system should be the same. So 5 or 7 683s is what preferred. Due to space limitationone can use smaller speakers as surround. In that case you need to find speakers that most closly match sound of front mains. 685 is that kind of speakers.
 
Idealy all speakers in surrou d system should be the same. So 5 or 7 683s is what preferred. Due to space limitationone can use smaller speakers as surround. In that case you need to find speakers that most closly match sound of front mains. 685 is that kind of speakers.

You know better than B&W how to use their speakers. Please troll elsewhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom