• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Bozak B 300 Speakers - $350

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/3199380030.html

Is this a good, fair, or top-dollar price for this condition?

5I95Ld5E13Ea3L93J1c8bd88d46675f141235.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd say that is about the top price for those, locally we had a pair for sale with Tobin mods for 300 cash. Those were near perfect and just wonderful, so it really depends on if you want them for profit or to enjoy. They really are wonderful speakers.
 
$250 is roughly the going rate for 302A w/ aluminum mids/tweets. The very early 1960s versions had paper mids/tweets.

But, if you ask me, for pure listening pleasure, you'd have been better served with those 501's you passed on for the same money. The 501 has the same drivers as the 302A, but in a bigger/better sized cabinet, with the tweets mounted up high, where they belong. As opposed to the 302A which mounts the tweeter pairs coaxially in the center of the woofer.
 
I knew the 302's were talked about a lot. After offering $200 a few hours back and getting a reply of $250, I just got this email from the guy:

"Hold on to your $200 for a few more hours. If I don't have another offer by this evening, I will take that price......"

But, I don't want to drop $200 on a pair that I'm not going to be able to flip if I'm not happy with them. How long do you think they would sit if I tried to resell them at $250 or $200, assuming I'm not happy with them?
 
Depends. I've seen them sit for weeks at that price, and I've seen em go in a day at the same price. It depends who wants em at the same time you're selling. If it were me I'd pass, if just flipping em quickly was my utmost criteria.
 
Depends. I've seen them sit for weeks at that price, and I've seen em go in a day at the same price. It depends who wants em at the same time you're selling. If it were me I'd pass, if just flipping em quickly was my utmost criteria.

I was looking to try them out as keepers, but would flip them if I didn't like them.
 
Well here is the thing, you'll have a decent idea when you demo them if you choose to look them over. There is no harm in atleast inspecting them and potentially snagging them if you end up liking them. I have to say I was impressed with what I heard when I was at a buddy's house, so it could work out for the best.
 
Well here is the thing, you'll have a decent idea when you demo them if you choose to look them over. There is no harm in atleast inspecting them and potentially snagging them if you end up liking them. I have to say I was impressed with what I heard when I was at a buddy's house, so it could work out for the best.

He's had them in a storage place for a while, and he's ending his lease on it, so no demo time... I guess I'll just pass on them.
 
FTA: "I used them until last year, however I no longer have the space to do them justice."

LOL. I'd almost be ashamed to show the room I have my 305's in at the moment. Still, a pair of Bozaks of any size are something to treasure. I think $200 is great, $250 very fair, and $300-$350 quite reasonable.

If you're simply worried about flipping them if you don't like them, don't be silly. You'll always be able to find someone else who would like to have them.
 
regardless of value, they are very nice on the eyes!

If you get them for $200, cool. No likey, give them a Howard's treatment and sell for $200, probably w/o too much trouble. Lost nothing and hopefully had some fun. Those are gorgeous. I'm up to my knees in speaks but would make an exception for those. :smoke:
 
The 300s are upgradable to the 302s. As he is not the original owner, a prior owner may have done the upgrade.
 
The 300s are upgradable to the 302s. As he is not the original owner, a prior owner may have done the upgrade.

Interesting thought. He said they came from an estate sale about ten years ago? They might've been one-owner and upgraded at the time. I guess I'd need to crack them open to find out.
 
Interesting thought. He said they came from an estate sale about ten years ago? They might've been one-owner and upgraded at the time. I guess I'd need to crack them open to find out.

Not necessarily.
If you gently, very gently, press on the grill where the mid cut out is located, at the very top.
You will feel either, the mid driver itself, careful, it's aluminum, or you'll feel a board over where the mid should be.
 
Bozaks are underpriced.Depending on your musical tastes you probably won't find anything close for $200.

I listen to a ton of different music on several formats, so a versatile speaker is best, but I do have multiple systems, so these don't need to play EVERYTHING that I have. This is what the guy told me tonight, so help me figure out what I need to know when I go to meet him tomorrow:

I have had a few offers......but you seemed like a good home........oneguy wants to trade his Bose #@$*&% speakers. I felt ill and didn't want to explain to him the difference between these and the plastic cube things he owns. I prefer my speakers to resemble furniture, not Legos.

Now, I am not a Bozak expert, however I've had a few, and to my knowledge when you are referring to the tweeters, I assume you want the aluminum coned 200Y rather than the older 200x. The b300 Urbans were sold as a 2 way base model in this line and the b302a or b302b and so on, were a 3 way speaker that added a mid and a 3 way crossover. All originally came with the 200x paper coned tweeters which were rather flat. The 200y aluminum cone upgrade came in mid '61, so since these were made in '63, these should have the 200y AL tweeters............usually you can shine alight thru the grill fabric and if it reflects back you've got the AL cones.......blah blah blah......I'll tell you all I know later

Bozak originally sold upgrade kits to add the mid range speaker and larger crossover to these, and it may have been done. I don't know as I have never had these open.

Also there are some fairly simple upgrades (changing caps) you can do yourself to the crossovers if you are handy with a soldering gun.
I would recommend that you focus on the cabinets you like and build from there....I love this Mid Century / Danish look.......which I have found are hard to come by.......


Then he goes on to tell me the whens, wheres, and hows of meeting up to see them. I'll bring a cheap receiver I have laying around, a screwdriver, a flashlight, and some test music.
 
Back
Top Bottom