• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak mod question

Vashane

New Member
Newb here.
Common sense will get you a ways.



So want to put the 8 ohm L-pad.

What watt should I order?
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks man! So excited!
Have been doing this in stages.
Crossovers built except L-pad.
Listening........love seeing/listening to the progress.
Encapsulation while I wait for the mail.



Never take my music away!
:beerchug:
 
Last edited:
Hey,

You're welcome! Stages are excellent, that's how I work on projects. I do it when I feel like it. How are you going to hook up the l-pad?

Biggles
 
I'm not very good at soldering. I found out during this project. So I was thinking of a contact point connector. Which I'm sure is not the proper name for anything. But was thinking that I could change things if I wanted to in the future. But I'm also worried about resistance...
But my extent of electronics comes from a 300 in One from Radio Shack.
 
Hey,

Don't sweat it, nobody is very good at soldering in the beginning. Grab some wires and start practicing. If you search the net on how to do it, there are GREAT pointers to be adhered to. Practice.

What I meant about hooking up the l-pad, is how are you going to integrate it into the crossover? Other than that, just making sure you have a solid connection is all that matters, for the most part.

Are you building Pat Tobin's 104T crossover for Bozak? Or are you simply replacing the original capacitors and planning on adding the l-pad in a traditional manner?

Biggles
 
Yes am doing the 104T mod.....left out the 7.5 jumper for now... ordered L-pads today. I ordered the 50watt (does that matter?) as the 1" long shift is not available for 15watt...as to mount through rear panel.......
 
Hey,

All sounds GREAT. I bought my 1" shaft 15 watt l-pads from parts express. The 50 is fine, just overkill and there's nothing wrong with that. Make doubly sure that your midrange and woofer jumpers for the inductors are on the lugs closest to the inductors. And, that the polarity of the midrange (and all your drivers) aren't reversed. #1 is - and #2 is +. When mounting the crossovers, keep them as far away from the woofer's magnet as you can. Pretty exciting, huh?

Biggles
 
Yeah for some reason the 15watt longer shaft didn't come up and price isn't much more. Yes I moved the wire for the inductors...the one really, as one was in proper place. Shopping for flower pots today.
Any advice on budget wrap and fill materials for mid encapsulation? Could definitely hear occasional interference pressure on mid range at higher volumes. Those drivers create some pressure for sure. Sounds so sweet powered by my CR-620 Yamaha. Might upgrade in the near future to the CR-1020. They match so well. Listening after a few hours with different styles of music....I now understand why that jumper is so important.
 
Oh another question........


Looking at the backside of drivers....

Tab on the left is #1.....correct?
 
Oh man, little changes in audio can make remarkable differences. It sounds like you're really cooking along, awesome.

Each amplifier will give you a different flavor. Bozak 3-ways are very revealing speakers, they will hand you imperfections on a buffet platter. I say, try everything you can get your hands on. If at all possible, borrow equipment and see where that takes you.

Yup, #1 terminal is on the left. On the earlier B199 woofers there is a tiny, square sticker on the frame. Sometimes they fall off. On the later B199's (ceramic magnets), they were labelled on a silver sticker up on the magnet itself.

Biggles
 
Hmmm. Ultimately, what you're looking for is 1" thick cotton upholstery batting. However, I've used 4 layers of 1/4" thick cotton batting I got from a local fabric store. It's what goes inside of quilts. You want it kinda loose fitting. So, the backwaves of the woofer and mid are able to dissipate into the fabric. Both inside and outside the flower pot are covered. Do not use fiberglass, do not use ultra-touch cotton insulation. Talk to someone and see if you can find someone who sews, does such things. I'm sure they have something appropriate for what little you actually need.

Biggles
 
Waiting on the mailman figured I would open these up.:eek::needpics:
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0443.jpg
    IMAG0443.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 44
Okay, let me see if I have thi straight. You're working on a pair of Bozaks, that's what the l-pad question was about. And while you're waiting for parts, you're working on a pair Rectilinears?

Which model Bozaks are the new crossovers for?

I haven't had my hands on a pair of the IIIb's. But those are creaky, old electrolytic caps and must be replaced. But you already know that, why else would you post pictures! I want to know which Bozaks you're working on.

Biggles
 
Got it! That's what I figured, I knew that was no Bozak crossover. Not even a later one. Thankfully, those Rectilinear crossover are easy to get to and the caps are an easy replacement situation.

Do you have the aluminum cone midrange drivers and tweeters?

Is there a cover over the back of your midrange?

Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom