• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozaks?

Brandon Mull

Active Member
Anyone ever seen a pair of Bozaks like this? Guy had them listed as old speakers. No other info. I went to look at them and tipped the box a bit, felt considerable weight in the cabs, so o figured they were either Bozak or Altec somethings. Bought them, opened them up and yep all Bozak internals. But I can not find an image of a pair that looks like these.
 

Attachments

  • C72B5FF9-DB92-46CE-B82B-B9F576C0961B.jpeg
    C72B5FF9-DB92-46CE-B82B-B9F576C0961B.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 169
  • B4F26463-0327-4A21-9D09-64B55B76EE9E.jpeg
    B4F26463-0327-4A21-9D09-64B55B76EE9E.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 169
Register to hide this ad
It was fairly common back in the day to stick component parts like these into cabinets that were made by other companies-- outfits like Acousti-Craft, HillCraft, Barzilay, etc. Can't say I recognize this specific cabinet, though.

Congrats on the find.
 
It was fairly common back in the day to stick component parts like these into cabinets that were made by other companies-- outfits like Acousti-Craft, HillCraft, Barzilay, etc. Can't say I recognize this specific cabinet, though.

Congrats on the find.
The wife chose those cabinets .... and color ...
 
The cabinets look smaller than ideal, but that is potentially a very nice sounding speaker.
My wife and daughters (all of whom are musical, which I am not) complained only when I sold Bozak 302s and JSE Infinite Slope 1s. All the other multiple dozens of speakers were fine by them, but they didn't care if they went away. But did they tell me before they were sold? No...
 
Hard to believe that was a trendy color back then...

Indeed it was. I had a '78 International Scout - burnt orange exterior, avocado vinyl upholstery very similar to this color. What IH lacked in interior color coordination and rust control they more than made up for with mechanical stoutness.

Yes, the 70s were strange.
 
I remember a fair amount of furniture in that color. I never cared for it. Not big on painted speaker cabinets anyway.
 
A google search turned up this. A few similar details. Not identical, of course.
h7k4fpccym2y2mt5ybtk.jpg
 
I think that rusomon's answer may be as close as you'll get. Not only were there a bunch of companies offering furniture grade speaker cabinets to put your components in, there were plenty of pieces of furniture that got repurposed into speaker cabinets, so tracking the exact make may be a big challenge unless you are lucky and someone recognizes them.
When AR came out with acoustic suspension speakers in the late 50s, they were unusual in being offered only as a complete system. Normally drivers and cabinets were separate purchases, though obviously you could buy combinations premade. Bozak was famous for producing enclosures that could have more and more drivers put in as the budget permitted, so the driver combo, not the enclosure determined which model you had.
Were I you, I'm move the components to a different and larger set of cabinets.
 
I think that rusomon's answer may be as close as you'll get. Not only were there a bunch of companies offering furniture grade speaker cabinets to put your components in, there were plenty of pieces of furniture that got repurposed into speaker cabinets, so tracking the exact make may be a big challenge unless you are lucky and someone recognizes them.
When AR came out with acoustic suspension speakers in the late 50s, they were unusual in being offered only as a complete system. Normally drivers and cabinets were separate purchases, though obviously you could buy combinations premade. Bozak was famous for producing enclosures that could have more and more drivers put in as the budget permitted, so the driver combo, not the enclosure determined which model you had.
Were I you, I'm move the components to a different and larger set of cabinets.
May have to build bigger..
 
You haven’t commented on how they sound. Have you hooked them up yet? I’d give them a listen and if needed refresh the crossover components and cabinet batting before I thought about building new cabinets. Personally, I kind of like how they look, and the color is easy to change if you don’t like it. The Bozak 302’s had ~5 cu feet of interior volume, but Bozak made other speakers that used the same compliment of drivers, in smaller volume cabinets as well.
 
You haven’t commented on how they sound. Have you hooked them up yet? I’d give them a listen and if needed refresh the crossover components and cabinet batting before I thought about building new cabinets. Personally, I kind of like how they look, and the color is easy to change if you don’t like it. The Bozak 302’s had ~5 cu feet of interior volume, but Bozak made other speakers that used the same compliment of drivers, in smaller volume cabinets as well.
They sound ok, I think caps need to be replaced in the crossovers. They do work and all. Just mediocre sound compared to my 302 Urbans.
 
If you already have Urbans, you might consider combining the drivers (actually the woofers) into a larger cabinet and producing one of the larger Bozaks. I'd move the concentric tweeters, but if you are far enough away from them, having them down low might not be a problem.
 
If you already have Urbans, you might consider combining the drivers (actually the woofers) into a larger cabinet and producing one of the larger Bozaks. I'd move the concentric tweeters, but if you are far enough away from them, having them down low might not be a problem.
I collect, listen to and resell audio stuff.
 

Attachments

  • 30F10296-C622-472B-9ECB-131A01A3BF80.jpeg
    30F10296-C622-472B-9ECB-131A01A3BF80.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 35
  • 9570B5A3-E762-408B-A5DD-E400E79E3BBD.jpeg
    9570B5A3-E762-408B-A5DD-E400E79E3BBD.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 39BF3D3C-068F-4A6C-98DC-379066B1C4D9.jpeg
    39BF3D3C-068F-4A6C-98DC-379066B1C4D9.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom