• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Break-In Necessary on New CD Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are all manner of audio components in terms of simplistic metrics performed using sine waves or static tests.

Do you find those metrics - in any of the examples - fully quantify the audible results?
Capacitors parameters on their own do not fully quantify audible results. A capacitor is part of a system; the system produces audible results, not an individual component on its own. Thus, claiming that the parameters of a capacitor "fully quantify the audible results" would be like claiming that the size of a clutch bolt defines the overall handling and drivability of a car.

However, the action of a capacitor in its role in a circuit is fully quantifiable in terms of its parameters -- nominal capacity, inductance, ESR -- plus a whole host of operational limits, and how the basic parameters vary in relation to voltage, frequency and temperature. These contribute to the audible results of the circuit in a manner dependent entirely on the capacitor's role in a circuit.
I'm hoping your response will be from an experiential level as opposed to parroting what you find in catalogs. :)
I'm hoping you can learn to engage in a debate without resorting to immaturity (what's with the dial tone thing?) and ad hominems. ;)

What is an "experiential level" of electronics experience? Shall I relate meter readings? Post oscilloscope traces?

I hope you're not hoping for some tale of my hearing "burn in". Such an anecdote would tell nothing, because we don't know whether experience of "burn in" is due to a change in sound, or due to a constant sound and a change in perception.
 
Most definitely....

It's funny what some people can talk themselves into. I bought an Onkyo C-7030 and it sounded like crap, two weeks later it started opening up and it's not me just getting use to crappy sound. You have to realize that there are people that have always had crappy hearing from birth....it's not there fault !! Now a month later the sound is indescribable and I feel sorry for anyone that does not own one of these.
 
It seems my hope that you could engage in a debate without resorting to immaturity was unfounded. :(
Yet another...


response. I should learn to simply laugh at your shallow responses and shake my head instead of trying to engage you in an intelligent discussion.
 
Last edited:
I bought an Onkyo C-7030 and it sounded like crap, two weeks later it started opening up and it's not me just getting use to crappy sound.
Could it have been you were getting used to different, even better sound?

I've told a story here before about the time I replaced a downstairs amplifier with one that had been in regular use upstairs. When I fired up the changed-amp downstairs stereo, it sounded awful. Assuming something was wrong and I'd have to fix it, I was about to start investigating when I was distracted by something. Maybe the phone rang or Nikki asked me to do something; I don't recall. I left the downstairs stereo running -- I could hear it in the background the whole time, but didn't pay attention -- and when I returned an hour or so later it sounded fine.

It's possible that some intermittent problem appeared and corrected itself -- though it would have to have appeared in both channels simultaneously, which would suggest either a power supply problem or something wrong with the computer providing the audio source, but power supply problems usually aren't intermittent and the computer has never had such a problem before or since. Neither has the amp.

More likely, I think the changed amp resulted in a slightly different sound from the amp I'd used there previously, which my brain initially interpreted as something very wrong. Perhaps identifying a slightly changed sound as something very wrong is an evolutionary feature that in the dim, distant past helped us avoid that tiger lurking in the bushes by recognising slightly changed night sounds as something very wrong. Once my brain got used to the slightly-different new sound -- and it hadn't been jumped on by a lurking tiger -- it subconsciously declared all to be well and the amp sounded fine.
 
Most definitely....

It's funny what some people can talk themselves into. I bought an Onkyo C-7030 and it sounded like crap, two weeks later it started opening up and it's not me just getting use to crappy sound. You have to realize that there are people that have always had crappy hearing from birth....it's not there fault !! Now a month later the sound is indescribable and I feel sorry for anyone that does not own one of these.

Oh, you mean after two weeks you started to get used to it?
 
Indeed. The internet introduces amateur Bozos who think they know better than audio engineering firms who have been in business for decades. :)

Wow, ANOTHER ad hominem?

ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective
adverb: ad hominem; adjective: ad hominem
  1. 1.
    (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
    "vicious ad hominem attacks"

So, again, if somebody does not agree with you or the company you have some sort of devotion to, you resort to attacking them?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom