• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Built a Plinth - Garrard 401

C'est magnifique bien Sur!

You are a better man than I Nines! I used t have that kind of skill and patients but alas, it has left me.



Amazing documentation sir. Thanks for posting.

Sent Via WindowsPhone Tapatalk
 
Great work, excellent explanation. Thank you very much.
Congratulations for owning one of the best TT around.
 
After trying out a couple of carts I have lying around, I settled for the Ortofon X5-MC (HOMC). Seems to be a great match for the arm, sounds absolutely delightful, not over-bearing. Reminds me very much of my Dynavector 10x5 but is a bit more detailed in the mids and highs and a little tighter on the lower scale.


40887877653_b00ce48fc6_b.jpg




So far, so good.
 
Last edited:
Stunning. Thanks for taking the time to document and share the process.

I used to have enough patience to consider a project this big. Not any more.
 
Stunning. Thanks for taking the time to document and share the process.

I used to have enough patience to consider a project this big. Not any more.

Thanks.

It was a labor of love, I guess. I enjoyed doing it very much and learned quite a bit in the process.

As for patience, I'm pretty patient in general and yes, for something like this, patience is an asset.
 
Very nice looking turntable indeed!

I'm starting on my own plinth shortly, and have a question. I'll also be using an SME, but my understanding was that thearm mounting shoild point to the tonearm spindle, and not be parallel to the side, presumbly to give a wide range of adjustment. Mine is mounted on the original plinth as yours is. Is there a reason why it should be otherwise?
 
Hi The Nines
Maginficent work
Lovely tt n arm. Am sure it all sounds really good.

What is that arm ?
It looks like a modern version of my old SME3012 mkII .
 
Hey from the 'Peg!!!

I have ZERO skills for this kind of work/project....but your creative and thorough process and approach payed off is spades!!!!

Not quite sure stunning is a strong enough word.
Glad you are overjoyed with the musical results!!!

Enjoy!!!
 
Very nice looking turntable indeed!

I'm starting on my own plinth shortly, and have a question. I'll also be using an SME, but my understanding was that thearm mounting shoild point to the tonearm spindle, and not be parallel to the side, presumbly to give a wide range of adjustment. Mine is mounted on the original plinth as yours is. Is there a reason why it should be otherwise?

As far as I know, there is no difference whether at an angle, or straight. If the arm has been properly mounted (correct distance spindle to pivot), any minor adjustment needed to bring the stylus to a specific point on the alignment protractor shouldn't matter whether the arm (and stylus) is adjusted in a north/south or east/west direction.

Good luck with your plinth.
 
Hi The Nines
Maginficent work
Lovely tt n arm. Am sure it all sounds really good.

What is that arm ?
It looks like a modern version of my old SME3012 mkII .

Thank you, much appreciated.

The arm is an "SME M2-12R".

Hey from the 'Peg!!!

I have ZERO skills for this kind of work/project....but your creative and thorough process and approach payed off is spades!!!!

Not quite sure stunning is a strong enough word.
Glad you are overjoyed with the musical results!!!

Enjoy!!!

Thanks a bunch.
 
the Nines: Wow! Perhaps the best example of a step-by step plinth construction "how to" that I've seen on the old Interweb.
Although you use a garrard 401, the example is so well documented it could be applied to any turntable. The basic method could also be used for direct drives, belt drives, etc. A very well constructed plinth with a high level of finish. I'm sure you are loving the sound coming from the 401/custom plinth/SME (3009?)/Ortofon combination. I especially like the use of masking tape to help with creating a template for the following layer... so simple, but so well thought out. Perhaps I'll have to give my Lab 80 another shot at resurrection (or the Lab 60 I have as well that I stripped down to the absolute minimum).
 
Thanks.

I'm now working on another plinth for a table I recently picked up. This one, however, is giving me a bit of a fight with the finishing but I think I'll be ok. Stay tuned.

Cheers.
 
Amazing work AND documentation, thank you for sharing! I recently picked up a 301 and am going to build a plinth for it, and so glad I found this thread - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
 
Amazing work AND documentation, thank you for sharing! I recently picked up a 301 and am going to build a plinth for it, and so glad I found this thread - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Glad I could help. Good luck with your project.
 
It's been a while. Been busy with work, home, and life in general.

Finally...

I replaced the 401's stock rubber mat with a gun-metal piece called the Tenuto from Puresound. I had done some reading on this product and was intrigued by the positive reviews it had received. So, I did a comparison. Everything in my setup stayed the same, all I did was remove one mat for the other. VTA stayed the same, no adjustment was necessary.

With the Tenuto, I noticed tighter and fuller bass, a more refined sound from the mid and high frequencies and a more pronounced soundstage. Voices and instruments that were somewhat centred previously now took a more specific place on stage.

Plus, it looks really sharp! :biggrin:

33977238888_448fec5e85_b.jpg



47802427492_329eb6b622_b.jpg



33977238688_4cb04f7e07_b.jpg



The other pending item was the cartridge. After trying a couple of different ones, I settled on the Denon DL-S1:

47854544131_4294b5a74a_b.jpg



Along with its companion SUT, Denon's AU-S1:

47802427392_163e205c20_b.jpg


A sweet sounding combination!

So, I picked a bunch of quality pressings from my record stash and devoted a couple of weekends just to sit and listen. Critical listening, as they say. :smoke:

From the bass lines of The Ray Brown Trio "Soular Energy" (Concord) half-speed mastering by Stan Ricker, to Dead Can Dance "Into The Labyrinth" on Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, to Ella Fitzgerald "Let No Man Write My Epitaph", to Willie Nelson "Stardust" on Classic Records 45rpm single-sided clear vinyl (Quiex SV-P), to Frank Sinatra and Count Basie Orchestra "Sinatra At The Sands" on Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, to Rickie Lee Jones "It's Like This" on Analogue Productions 45rpm, to a variety of Japanese jazz pressings. I threw as much material at the table as I could, always challenging the upgrades (mat, cart and SUT). The transformation in sound was quite remarkable.

Project complete. :thumbsup:

Thanks for following.

No affiliation to any product mentioned.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom