• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burt Bacharach

Theophilus Punoval

The Queen says it's OK...
I haven't seen Burt Bacharach's name much, but anyone who's worked with both Perry Como and Elvis Costello, and everyone between, has to be considered one of the greats.

Back in the 60s, this guy was tossin' 'em off with both hands. Of course he was closest to Dionne Warwick(e) but I really think Dusty Springfield did the best work on his tunes. That off-key thing on "The Look Of Love" made the song perfect.

I'll bet even Axl Rose is a Burt Bacharach fan.
 
Register to hide this ad
Love Bacharach...for excellent contemporary work with Bacaharach tunes try Trijntje Osterhuis, known here as Traincha.
 
Back to Bacharach

by Steve Tyrell is a collection of Bacharach songs he covers and it is well done. I burned a copy of it for a freind at work and she digs it,in fact now that i think about I burned 2 copies for friends at work and they both say the same thing"I didn't know he had written that song."
 
I have the album "Reach Out" on Lp and 8-track. One of my favorite albums.:yes:

He has a unique style that is very appealing IMHO. I would recommend that anyone who has never heard his music to give it a chance.
 
Last edited:
I enjoy me some Bacharach. I went on a Dionne Warwick spree recently and have about six or eight of her records. Great music, unfortunately the recordings all suck pretty badly.
 
"Painted from Memory"

"Painted from Memory" by Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello is one of the most painfully-sad and beautiful albums of all time.
 

Attachments

  • Paintedfrommemory.jpg
    Paintedfrommemory.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 16
Oh yeah, big fan. Sometime in the 90s, I bought the 3-CD Bacharach collected songs, with pretty much every great song by him & Hal David. Great, great stuff, though his own versions are usually the weak spots.

"Close to You" by the Carpenters may be my favorite, but ironically, the orchestration on that is mostly Richard (Carpenter) I believe. Otherwise, in addition to being a great tune writer, Burt is one of the greatest orchestrators/conductors ever. But mostly, he could write a melody, which is why I love his stuff -- I don't care the genre, if it's got a great melody, and he had a seemingly endless supply.
 
Bacharach is a criminally overlooked musician, who has had a tremendous influence on popular music whether people realize it or not. Great song-writer, incredible pianist. His music has stood the test of time and still works beautifully today. That's more than most musicians will be able to say 20+ years past their heyday.
 
Back
Top Bottom