• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burt Bacharach

Well, this thread got me listening to several interpretations of Alfie via YouTube. I like the Cilla Black version. It's got an anger to it that I believe is apropos. And her voice can be so sweet in the song too. Nice contrast.

"Does life belong, only to the strong?"
 
I heard Burt Bacharach on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz and it was a wonderful, magical hour. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the NPR archive of the show...
But, I did discover Traincha when browsing for his work at Amoeba Records in Berkeley!
 
Burt's melodies are unique and distinctively Bacharach. He really is a major talent. His songs have been sung by Cilia Black, Jerry Butler, Brook Benton, Perry Como, Jackie DeShannon, The Drifters, Jack Jones, Patti Labelle, Trini Lopez, Rick Nelson, Gene Pitney, Elvis Costello, Dionne Warwick, The Shirelles, Marty Robbins, Dusty Springfield, Herb Alpert, Christopher Cross, Bobby Goldsboro, Gene McDaniels, B.J. Thomas, among others. That's quite a roster.

And the great Aretha Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM

Cissy Houston is the backup singer on the left.
 
Back
Top Bottom