• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C2300 vs C220 preamp?

Register to hide this ad
Most would argue that the C2300 is a better amp (more tubes, supports MC, ...) and it's definitely more expensive. However, I really like the warmer tone of the C220. I've upgraded the amps from the MC252 to 501s, added an MDA1000, but the C220 is staying.

Alberto
 
the 2300 is the new unit. has more features. I would try them both and go with what ever you like more. but if you want to save some money go with the 220. it is about 90% of the 2300, with out the updated features. I tried both but in the end I found the 2300 to be more open, more life like. Plus I like the phono better on the 2300.
 
The c2300 is like a high performance c220. They sound similar. The C2300 is quieter, has an excellent mc phono state and looks nice
 
Thank you guys, I have the C2300 now and I couldn't be happier :) Now I have to get into vinyl to take advantage of the phono inputs.

Through the setup, I turned off both phono inputs, are the tubes supposed to shut off as well? I can still see some red/orange light glows from the tubes.
 
I don't think there is any way to shut off the phono tubes in the C2300.

The C2200 had the ability to shut off the phono tubes, this was a nice feature I'm surprised they did not put this feature in the C2300.
 
victor,

I thought you could shut off the phone tubes? I have never tried, because I just dont feel their is a need to do so, but I could be wrong, but I would of sworn chuck said you could shut off one of them. Chuck if you are around can you shed some light on the subject?

Also why do you want to shut the tube slots off anyway?
 
first off congrats on your new preamp. and I forgot to ask, how did pick the 2300? did you do a side by side, or was it the one they had and you liked it? I am sure you will have many of nights enjoying it. As I think the 2300 is my favorit mcintosh piece out of all mine. There is just something about it, I dont know if its the looks, ( I love the slight difference that they made over the 220 with the size of the meets and location) or if its the backlighted tubes, or just the great ease of use functions.
 
No particular reason other than less wear on the tubes if I'm not using the inputs. Has anyone tried tube rolling yet?

As for why C2300, store didn't have a C220 I could compare to. I previously listened to a C2200 and MC252 combo in the store and they were very nice. Got the MC252 first and now the preamp. I was wondering about the C220 as it's a very popular preamp as well.

The top of the C2300 is very nice in the dark when the tubes are lit up with the green backlight. Too bad mine sits in the cabinet so they can be barely seen! I seem to like it in every aspect of it :) Looks great (wasn't a great fan of Mac first though but now I'm totally into it), very logical to do the setup, and really once it's all set, just turn the system on and enjoy the music!

Finally I think I can sit back and listen to some good tunes!
 
Oh Itleo, you got the Totem Winds, have you compared to Mani-2 Sigature? That's what I have now for the Mac to drive. I have always wanted to try the Winds but I thought they might just be too big for my room.
 
I got my C2300 today also. I love it. I was choosing between the solid state and the tubes, and went with the tubes. I did consider the C220 also, but since I have the MC275 I wanted the blue meters. So far so good, the sound is refined and open, detailed and warm. Still deciding whether I should put the MC275 on top and the C2300 in the rack, or vice versa.... I put the C2300 on the top of the rack because I wanted to see the tubes glow in green through the window, but I miss having the MC275 on top :scratch2:

c2300_1.jpg


c2300_2.jpg


c2300_3.jpg


c2300_4.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom