• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

I only own two Yamaha pieces - right now. I've managed to recreate my youth somewhat over the past couple of years by finding a CR-450 and a CR-620 in excellent shape, and those were what I had in the 70's. I always wanted a CR-820 or CR-1020, and I guess that 1020 is next on my list.....especially since I don't own any more powerful units than the 620, and have some "new" speakers to drive that I am afraid to hook it up to because they may be too stout for it - JSE Model 4's.
 
I only own two Yamaha pieces - right now. I've managed to recreate my youth somewhat over the past couple of years by finding a CR-450 and a CR-620 in excellent shape, and those were what I had in the 70's. I always wanted a CR-820 or CR-1020, and I guess that 1020 is next on my list.....especially since I don't own any more powerful units than the 620, and have some "new" speakers to drive that I am afraid to hook it up to because they may be too stout for it - JSE Model 4's.
The CR-620 is a sweet receiver. As long as you keep the volume to a reasonable level it will be fine driving the JSE Model 4's. How about posting some pics?
 
I recently acquired a CX-1000U and while I love it (beats the snot out of my previous pre), I've noticed that the bottom of the case under the two power transformers gets rather warm after awhile. In fact, -very- warm, much warmer than my M-4. Is this normal for this unit? I can't help but notice the case is not ventilated.
 
2003 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - This thing ROCKS! what... What.... WHAT!!??

2605295118_49276a0a0c.jpg
 
I recently acquired a CX-1000U and while I love it (beats the snot out of my previous pre), I've noticed that the bottom of the case under the two power transformers gets rather warm after awhile. In fact, -very- warm, much warmer than my M-4. Is this normal for this unit? I can't help but notice the case is not ventilated.

I've never noticed on mine but I'll check the next time I have it going.
 
I recently acquired a CX-1000U and while I love it (beats the snot out of my previous pre), I've noticed that the bottom of the case under the two power transformers gets rather warm after awhile. In fact, -very- warm, much warmer than my M-4. Is this normal for this unit? I can't help but notice the case is not ventilated.

Yes it does get warm, but not more than you can still touch it. I think the design uses the bottom plate for cooling, since the top and side do not get as hot.

As you also can see in the pic, there are 2 massive (for a pre amp) transformers in the left side.

And congrets to one of Yamaha's best pre amps (top 5).
 

Attachments

  • CX-1000 naked.jpg
    CX-1000 naked.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the response, I feel better now. You're right, it doesn't ever get too warm to touch, and the sides and top are room temperature.

I am loving this pre-amp. The sound is great and the tone controls are actually usable. The onboard 18 bit DAC sounds better than all the 24 bit players I've run through it so far :thmbsp:
 
I got an email from YB2 a few weeks ago offering to sell me his CT-7000. If it had been the silver version I might have declined, but it was the rare black version. It arrived today and man is this baby gorgeous!

YamahaCT-7000view2.jpg


CT-7000view1-1.jpg

WOW,

what a stunning pair. I envy you for that C-1.

A while ago there was one in excellent shape on b-bay, going under everybodys radar. I tracked it, and than on the day the auction ended I was nowhere near a computer and could not bid. IT DIDN'T SELL AT ALL, and when I contacted the guy later, he said he HAD TO sell it locally.

The moral of the story: bid early.
 
Please take a look at a unit I had to wait for quite a long time: The mighty Yamaha MX-10000 !
The photos are taken from the unit without top protection grille, which I removed for internal cleaning.

Even without currently having access to my own references (My TA-N7B has a small defect and my homebuilt Class A amp is not compatible to the current setup) I can say, that this is the very best amplifier I ever had in my system. The combination of sound quality, huge headroom and superior craftsmanship is absolutely unique.
In the current setup it runs as the mid/high amplifier in a two way active mode and it really sounds amazing. :music:

If you take a closer look to the VU meters, you can see, that the scale is printed onto an internal glass plate, which let it look like as if it floats in free space. :drool:

Please also consider the size in comparison to the other amplifiers (including the B-1) and the size of the two stacked transformers. This is really a monster !

I can honestly say that's the best looking amp I've ever seen - never noticed the "free floating" glass thing (and cudos for the upside down glasses :thmbsp:).

What is that Esprit piece on top of it? I've never seen one like that with a window.:scratch2:
 
What is that Esprit piece on top of it? I've never seen one like that with a window.:scratch2:

That's the TA-N901 Stereo power amplifier. Extremely rare bird nowadays, because they were rare from the very beginning and they die like the flies (like the infamous TA-N88B). The display behind the window shows the unit's temperature (blue, green, red), overload and protection conditions. Some infos can be found here:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.niji.or.jp%2Fhome%2Fk-nisi%2Fta-n901.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

The TA-N901 was extremely expensive (easily SONYs most expensive Stereo amp on an inflation corrected scale).

The TA-N902 was the more successful and cheaper successor and eliminated the switching supply in favour of reliability and thus added also height.

Back to topic:

What really puzzles me about the CT-7000: Why Yamaha didn't make it in the same width as the C-1 and B-1 ... :scratch2:
 
WOW,

what a stunning pair. I envy you for that C-1.

A while ago there was one in excellent shape on b-bay, going under everybodys radar. I tracked it, and than on the day the auction ended I was nowhere near a computer and could not bid. IT DIDN'T SELL AT ALL, and when I contacted the guy later, he said he HAD TO sell it locally.

The moral of the story: bid early.
Thanks. The C-1 is a wonderful sounding preamp. I'd use it in my main system if I didn't have a CX-10000. Sorry you missed out on getting one.
 
I've been running the MX-D1 in my main system for a couple of months. Sounds great, and easily drives the Infinity Quantum 2's.

IMG_2074.jpg~original
 
Last edited:
My latest Yamaha...

Here's a quick peek at my latest Yamaha piece; a C-2A preamp. I have it paired with my M-4. I got a great deal on this C-2A, and it sounds fantastic. I miss the headphone amp in my C-4, but this is definitely a step-up in sound.:music: Gotta love the tilting front feet too...
 

Attachments

  • C-2A_1.jpg
    C-2A_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 71
Beautiful receiver BroonsBane!


My mostly Yamaha set-up, newly stacked. Terrible photo though.

From the top down:
CDP-730
C-65
PC2002M
and a BGW 500D for the bass notes

attachment.php
 
Back
Top Bottom