• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Can NOT get platter off spindle!!!!

Catherine82

New Member
So, I have a new found obsession with vintage record players, radios, etc. i’m usually able to accomplish my goal and finish the project, but I am stuck literally here. This is a Montgomery Ward Turntable, 8 Track, cassette deck, am/fm combo. Model number: GEN 6318A. It’s driving me crazy, I cannot get the spindle top off. If I’m even supposed to get it off, I have no idea? But it is stuck in there good, the entire platter is stuck completely on the spindle. So I try the lubrication with the WD-40 and a three in one lubricant and also applied heat with a soldering iron,
 

Attachments

  • 19FECF14-AE7B-4FB1-972F-950378954D86.jpeg
    19FECF14-AE7B-4FB1-972F-950378954D86.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 41719A08-8C5F-459E-81D8-0E0DE8E544AB.jpeg
    41719A08-8C5F-459E-81D8-0E0DE8E544AB.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 153
Register to hide this ad
You will need another person...gently lift up on the platter so you are lifting the entire unit JUST BARELY off the table. Then give the spindle a "tap" with a small hammer, a brass one if possible. The shock will let the unit drop and the platter will be in your hand.
That is if it doesn't have a clip holding it on, which you should see if there is one.

Make sure when lifting it you have a good, even grip, side to side, on the platter.
 
I have tried that, I’m afraid I am going to really damage the “guts.” It seems like it is totally stuck onto the spindle. Which I am unsure if I’m supposed to take the top off or what of the spindle? It seems like it should be able to twist off to get to the point where I see and all the rest of these videos to where it’s like a hollow area in the middle but I can’t get the spindle off.
 
I don't have any experience with that model but have run across some stubborn platters. I was lucky enough to have holes in it so I could stick my fingers in it to lift. I can't imagine the spindle having to be detached from underneath but it is a budget system so serviceability wasn't a design concern.
 
I took the c clamp off. It seems like it is completely attached and The turntable platter and the spindle are one.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 126
Will the mat come off ,usually there are holes in platter you could place a piece of wood across the spindle from hole to hole to use as leverage. Could also tap on the wood ... only other thing would be a penetrating oil for rusty corroded applications,liquid wrench,etc.Soak over night .
 
If the clip is out of the center, what I've had luck doing in the past with really stubborn ones is to take a spoon and use that under the edge of the platter as a pry bar, then whack the center to make it pop loose. Its usually on a taper and it can get pretty stuck after a few decades.
 
So, another question that I have is, am I supposed to take that spindle top off is there even a top to come off? Or is it one long stick that shouldn’t even be messed with?
 
I had a bsr that was a bear to get off...it took a lot of heat from a small butane torch. The rest of the grease in that table was not any better. It was on this table. I never thought it would come off.
 

Attachments

  • 20201125_233357.jpg
    20201125_233357.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 55
I don’t know, but I’m about ready to rip the whole thing apart. The only thing stopping me is that there’s a working eight track radio and tape deck underneath. So…
 
Back
Top Bottom