• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can NOT get platter off spindle!!!!

@Catherine82 watch the youtube video I posted in post 45 and see where the platter separates. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's the same mechanical connection as the one you have. The center spindle does not appear to be the actual separating point, rather the bushing just outside it.
Where is video?
 
@Catherine82 watch the youtube video I posted in post 45 and see where the platter separates. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's the same mechanical connection as the one you have. The center spindle does not appear to be the actual separating point, rather the bushing just outside it.
I tried that
 
@Catherine82 can you remove the table from its base and take a pic of the underside where the spindle may be.
On some older turntables the spindle and platter are one piece and there may be a set screw that hold the spindle down
by going into a recessed slot around the spindle. I have had few that were like that.

Athanasios
 
@Catherine82 can you remove the table from its base and take a pic of the underside where the spindle may be.
On some older turntables the spindle and platter are one piece and there may be a set screw that hold the spindle down
by going into a recessed slot around the spindle. I have had few that were like that.

Athanasios
Here is the underside where spindle is.EE52D734-0735-4F54-8801-7EAA8470EE30.jpegEE52D734-0735-4F54-8801-7EAA8470EE30.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 38B807C3-11C3-4409-A562-D393C06CD74F.jpeg
    38B807C3-11C3-4409-A562-D393C06CD74F.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 75
  • FFF93A38-CDDE-4691-B05F-DF419143F62D.jpeg
    FFF93A38-CDDE-4691-B05F-DF419143F62D.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 72
Try soldering iron on tip?
Tried. I am not sure if I was somehow supposed to take the tip of spindle off. It is a short standard tip, it doesn’t seem like it should cone off. But every video I have watched has shown them removing that tip and placing iron inside hole in center.
 
No, I leave tip on. Maybe, try touching the tip to the bottom of the shaft? Then, use a punch to punch out the shaft and platter from the bottom? Sharp, quick taps with a hammer.

There maybe a round clip on the shaft which is sitting in a groove, in the bronze bearing. This, along with old frozen grease, is fighting the platter from being removed. :idea:
 
I will try. Is there anyway that I have melted it together with the soldering iron? I mean the inside.I just don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have tried everything. ☹️
 
I will try. Is there anyway that I have melted it together with the soldering iron? I mean the inside.I just don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have tried everything. ☹️
Solvent, heat, and time with patience should get you results, go easy with heat, not so much to damage things.
 
i had an on Onkyo TT that i had never taken the platter off
i, too, thought it was stuck. just a few days of waiting and retrying every day and it finally came free.
 
Last edited:
And don't bother anymore with considering taking the mat off or anything. That wouldn't help at all. Does the platter turn easily? If there was a lock around the spindle bearing it's meant to pull off with that removed. It's just stuck.

Doug
 
@Catherine82 , you must be missing your music with all the work you are going through with this all in one unit. I'm sure there's an AK hoarder...ahem, collector living nearby who'd be willing to loan or even give you a working unit.
 
Back
Top Bottom