• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you ID these pieces?

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/4474132982.html

01515_hgx2ZZbJa6A_600x450.jpg


This thing is pretty cool looking, but I was wondering what might those electronics be?
 
Register to hide this ad
Heathkit. Very nice! But unless you like the unit as furniture - not $950 nice - that's for sure.
 
The bottom component looks like a Heathkit AA-11 stereo preamp, pretty rare and nicely designed. This leads me to believe there may be two Heathkit power amps hiding inside the cabinet. While you're at it, it may be worth taking a peek at the speakers in there.
 
Was going to say: the console is pretty high end... So it might be something special... However, I see the TT is missing... and we don't see the amps or the speakers - so at that price... meh.

Still - this was built as a high-end unit. It may be worth a close investigation. Who knows - if the speaker drivers are high end and the amps are there - it might be worth quite a bit... but $950... would be tough ...
 
So, the top piece appears to be the AJ-41 tuner, and the bottom is hard to pin down. Doesn't it look like three big knobs and some small switches?!? I looked up the aa-11, and t didn't seem to match up. I'd love some meaty Heathkit tube amps, though!
 
OK, you're right. My search didn't pull up that pic. So, some Heathkit amps are pretty big and pretty valuable. If there's some monsters in there, I could sell off my current Dynaco ST-70, sell off the console furniture this thing is in, sell off the speakers, pre and tuner, and then keep the amps. I put in a query to see about getting some inside pics. I'd love a nice pair of monster heathkit amps!
 
The seller may need it gone, note they dropped the price once already. Go there with a truck and cash and see what happens.
 
I finally looked at the unit in person. The console itself is pretty damn sweet! But, I'm not bringing a 7 ft console into the house anytime soon. The amp was a SS unit with four RCA branded transistors... nothing I'll be needing! The rest of the gear? Here it is:

10455236_10152198151062817_5116838979675410206_n.jpg


10303776_10152198150817817_6519781052429183515_n.jpg


10473175_10152198151002817_3511859632164732255_n.jpg


10360845_10152198150892817_3729838758334760895_n.jpg
 
I have that same tuner sitting on my project shelf along with an AA-21.
I love that style of Heathkit, it looks like a 57 Chevy with knobs.
 
I tried to get them to sell the electronics out that thing a month ago :-) I guess they're still not willing to do that. I tried to tell them they'd likely make more money selling the furniture as furniture and the gear by itself but they weren't interested. It's a really nice piece on it's own.
 
Interesting opinions in this thread, so i'll add mine.

I couldn't junk the electronics fast enough. I know, i know, most of you couldn't restore the electronics to their original mediocrity fast enough. But, you're not me, and i thank my lucky stars for that.

BTW, are you people completely lost on the value of Jensen tweeters?

The console/cabinet is a very unique piece, and it's direct similarity in case style to the HH-1-C Legato will put it in demand among a very small, but well financed field of interest.

Presented to the right group of potential buyers, i can see the empty console easily fetching the value of all the internals.

legato-prod.-for-heath-0-altec-lansing.jpg


http://www.ebay.com/itm/JENSEN-WOOF...36?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item19ed3f36fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-HF-U...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pick-Up-Onl...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item338fe7533e

Nice pairs usually bring a bit more than the sum of two singles.
 
Last edited:
Interesting opinions in this thread, so i'll add mine.

I couldn't junk the electronics fast enough. I know, i know, most of you couldn't restore the electronics to their original mediocrity fast enough. But, you're not me, and i thank my lucky stars for that.

BTW, are you people completely lost on the value of Jensen tweeters?

The console/cabinet is a very unique piece, and it's direct similarity in case style to the HH-1-C Legato will put it in demand among a very small, but well financed field of interest.

Presented to the right group of potential buyers, i can see the empty console easily fetching the value of all the internals.

legato-prod.-for-heath-0-altec-lansing.jpg

To quote John McEnroe, you cannot be serious. The odds of someone that actually owns a pair of Legatos wanting that strange looking piece of furniture, are about as close to nil as it gets. The value is in the minty looking classic Heathkit components and maybe a couple of the drivers.
 
I don't know anything about the Legato affiliation, but big old consoles, especially those that have unique woodwork and are in nice condition, are selling well in the mid-Atlantic area. While not mid-century modern, that unit sure beats some of the horrible cabinetry that happened in the 50's and later 60's. Throwing in some upgraded components isn't hard to do, and if you have the room you end up with a great conversation piece.
 
I'm an MCM fan, but that one just doesn't do it for me. To clunky. I used think those Heathkits were ugly when they were dirt cheap, now that I like them the prices are too high.
 
Back
Top Bottom