• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge for Luxman PD-272

Manticore

Active Member
Hi everyone,

I just bought a mint Luxman PD-272. I was wondering if someone could help me and share their thoughts on the best cartridge for this turntable.

Thanx in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd look up the manual on Vinyl Engine and check the tonearm specs and that should give you an idea as to mass/weight and then you can use that info to choose a cartridge. Also when checking the manual confirm that it is the correct PD-272 tonearm. I'm sure someone that has a PD-272 will pop in to tell you what cartridge they are running now or in the past.
 
@Balifly: My budget is $200. Maybe that helps a little. I just can't seem to find enough info on the net, so I hope someone can help.
 
We decided (more or less) in another thread that the effective mass of your tonearm is ~9 grams, without the cartridge and mounting screws. So it should be considered a medium-low mass arm. I have the same arm on my PD-277 and absolutely love it in combination with the Dynavector Karat 17DS cartridge.
The DV has a dynamic compliance of 15x10-6cm/Dyne.

karat4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Congratulations, that is an excellent table. I have one and have used an Ortofon OM-30 on it with great results. Any of the OM series should work well with it. Assuming you have the same tonearm shown below, the Ortofon 2M series will NOT physically fit, as the cartridge is too wide at the back.

luxman_pd272_08.png

Not my table, just grabbed this off of the net to show tonearm head.
 
Last edited:
Also, be very careful with the cartridge wires. If you need to replace them, you will find that many of the headshell wire-sets commonly available are too short. When mine needed replacement I bought clips and wire and made my own.
 
You might want to consider a preowned cartridge which can be found on AKs Barter Town or places like Audiogon, Audio Asylum etc. $200 could possibly purchase a much better cartridge than what you would get going new.
 
Back
Top Bottom