• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

cartridges best suited for SME 3009 Series 2 improved

luke85

Super Member
at some point down the line like to get a new cartridge, i heard shure v-15 type 3 is a good match but what other cartridges are there that would suit well for the SME ?
 
Register to hide this ad
In addition to the V15-III (with Jico SAS), I have also used a Denon DL 301 mk II low output moving coil with great success.

I would consider a nice Grado Signature series vintage cartridge with an MCZ stylus.

Ortofon OM 20/30/40 should play nice too.

It's a low mass arm so high compliance stylus are best.
 
The 3009 Series 2 Imp is a 6.5 effective mass arm, the removable headshell 3009 S2 Imp is 9.5 grams. You said you have the former the 6.5 gram effective mass arm. Many high compliance cartridges would like that arm. I might look for something with a good supply of replacement styli from the manufacturer. Some of the Audio Technica cartridges would work, too as well as what has been mentioned.
 
Using an Empire 2000Z on my SME 3009 Improved arm, amazing! Used a Shure M97xE, Denon 301 MKII, Audio Technica AT-440MLa, all of these worked fine with the Improved arm.

Ortofon 2M series would work fine too.
 
The 3009 Series 2 Imp is a 6.5 effective mass arm, the removable headshell 3009 S2 Imp is 9.5 grams. You said you have the former the 6.5 gram effective mass arm. Many high compliance cartridges would like that arm. I might look for something with a good supply of replacement styli from the manufacturer. Some of the Audio Technica cartridges would work, too as well as what has been mentioned.

problem is i currently have a pickering xsv-3000 which finding a replacement stylus for is near impossible, i know LPgear do replacements for that model but ive heard horror storys of buyers receiving stylus's with bent cantilevers
 
The 3009 Series 2 Imp is a 6.5 effective mass arm, the removable headshell 3009 S2 Imp is 9.5 grams. You said you have the former the 6.5 gram effective mass arm. Many high compliance cartridges would like that arm. I might look for something with a good supply of replacement styli from the manufacturer. Some of the Audio Technica cartridges would work, too as well as what has been mentioned.
Is it definitely the fixed headshell model? I don't see that mentioned in the post. I am running a Grado Reference Sonata 1 on my removable headshell arm and it works a treat. Best combination I've found yet for the arm. Whether it would work on the lighter version I would have to calculate.
 
Is it definitely the fixed headshell model?

They have different names.

3009 Series 2 Improved is the fixed headshell
3009 S2 Improved is the removable headshell.

He mentioned the first one and I leave it to him to change the model he has if it is not the one claimed.
 
im watching a pickering xsv 4000 on ebay, is it a high compliance cartridge ? would it be a good match with the SME 3009 series ll improved ?
 
Pickering doesn't list the compliance but it is a light tracking cartridge, 1±¼ gram so it should work well in that arm.
 
Back
Top Bottom