Jack Lord said:Hey,
I bought mine off of eBay from this guy:
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/
Works quite well.
As for clearner, you can use 91% or better Isoproypyl Alcohol with Qtips. Radio Shack also sells some tape head cleaner really cheap. Probably no different from using IA, but I saw pictures of a respected tech using it so I figured why not.

Isopropyl works fine for the heads (minimum 91%, but 99% is better), and guides, but not for the rollers. Yes it will certanly clean rollers, but it will gradually dry them out, and cause them to harden, which is bad.dorokusai said:I would really like to find a hand applied fluid....anyone have a recommendation? I prefer to get into the guts and clean everything up myself....and I'm almost out of my, out of business, head juice.
I contacted CAIG about 3 weeks ago, but have yet to hear a response.
Would LP cleaner be an alternative? or should I simply use clean Isopropyl?
What do the tape heads use in here?
I'm sure that it cleans well. But is it genuinely safe? Many cleaners that work, are far from safe on various surfaces....blooeyz said:hi all. i use a Dollar store generic brand of Simple Orange cleaning /degreaser....it REALLy cleans the crud and residue off the pinch roller....it is totally water soluble....just soak a q-tip with it and scrub across the width of the pinch roller...slowly turning it with your other hand...when the qtip fills up with crud, soak a clean tip and continue... then turn the pinch roller and scrub it with a q tip slightly moistened with the cleaner....then finally use a DRY q-tip to ensure all cleaner is off the roller and the roller is dry, DRY!. When the roller is NO longer shiny and a solid black, you know its clean.... works for me.. Dollar Tree...."awesome orange"...works great!!!! BLOOeyz
It was not the ISA that gooed up your rollers. They were already gooey, and were waiting for you to discover it when you tried to clean them. The rollers for that model are notorious for gooing. ISA will dry out your rubber over a long period of use. It will not kill them if you need to use it in a pinch.dorokusai said:I found out the hard way about rollers when I Iso'd the ones on my RT-909....turned them into a gooey mess. Oh well...it was an excuse for new ones.
dorokusai said:Thanks for the tip....vodka, I'm sure my wife will roll her eyes on that one
/QUOTE]
besure to get a gallon so you dont run out
Gradual loss of high frequencies on each tape played (damage to recording), as well as increasing hiss and noise on the tapes played on the machine.fropiler said:What are the symptoms of a magnetized head?