• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin-Vega! sound

stuartk said:
I had the S1. It had a 12", a 4 or 5" mid cone driver, and a horn-loaded phenolic dome tweeter.

I don't honestly remember the S2 though. Was it larger or smaller than the S1?

They has 15" woofers. I think they were just over 20" wide. Looked imposing.
 
6thumbs said:
super dutys came in two compression ratios and 3 carb configurations depending on year produced ,,single 4 barrel 61,62.63 ,,,3x2 61 0nly... 2x4 ,61,62 .63 all three years had different heads i could go on for hours used to know interchangability of pontiac engine parts from 58 to 63

Besides being a audioholic, I'm an old Pontiac fanatic. Can't own enough old Pontiacs.
 
listened to my d-3s all day today there starting to grow on me ,,, and just to clarify the photos the engine in the picture is not mine as iis the new pic of the 61 pontiac ventura ,,i owned both but never bothered to take any pics, who knew but i campaigned a 61 with a 421sd for 3-4 years when i was a kid 61 body 62 engine ,,if you want to talk old pontiacs i,m your man ,,by the way pontiac dudes did you know pontiac actuall had a 421 HEMI ready to intro no ****
 
I've used C-V speakers parts to good advantage, in DIY speaker systems.
NOS 6" speaker with enclosed back, rated freq. range 100-8000hz.
This is a GREAT midrange driver IMO......$25 a pair.
NOS E310 and E312 crossovers.
I love that they have variable L-pads for the midrange AND tweeter!!
Again the built-in variable L-pads, allows you LOTS of flexibility when mixing & matching drivers.....at $20 a pair, a real bargain IMO!!

Steve
 
Tube amp with Cerwin Vegas?

Currently trying:
Pair A = 380SE
Pair B = DX9
Wired in parallel
Powered by Crown K2
Amp
rated @1250 wpc @2ohms

Glorious power
Interested in trying
with tube preamp or
tube headphone amp
like Little Dot MKIII
or Woo WA3+

Anyone have experience
or heard CV's with
tube pre or amp?
 
I'm running a pair of 380ses' in my main rig in addition to several other pairs in various states around the house. I quite like them, for my purposes there may not be a better speaker for me. Are they the last word in accuracy, imaging, etc.? Not at all, but I'm having fun so I can save being critical for my headphones. Oh and believe it or not I have the treble and bass turned up on mine. :D
 
I don't understand how Bose survives with that "canned" sound. I know there are better speakers out there, but say C-V's are terrible is just petty.
sorry, just had to -
you do not have any idea how some people could apparently say that the CV's are terrible, yet you trash another speaker in the process ?
I would go out on a limb here and say that there are a whole lot of Bose 901 owners that share your sentiment and have been flamed more then one could imagine.

"man, Chevy's rock, it is the best car I have ever driven. I do not understand how Ford can make such a crappy car and how anyone could say Chevy is crappy"

"man, ford's rock, it is the best car I have ever driven. I do not understand how chevy can make such a crappy car and how anyone could say Ford is crappy"

see the irony here :D
 
I had a MINT pair of CV D-3s. I sold them after I got my Polk Monitor 10. When I had my D-3s they were powered by an early 90's Sony STR-715 receiver. Lps on my Technics Sl-D202 (Shure M97xE) sounded better than any combination of gear I have ever used including my Spec system with the same cart and better TT. These speakers have a "built in" stand, but I still raised them 14 inches.


Superdog...
CV 313
3 way
Freq Resp 30-17,000 +- 4 dB
crossovers at 700 and 3500
sensitivity 100 dB watt//meter
max input 100 watt continuous
8 ohm
 
I had a pair of D-9's as my main speakers for a very long time. Everyone says they're only good for rock but I listen to classical on occasion and always thought they sounded huge for that. Here's a pic before I sold them you can tell the surround is rotted.

I sold them to a kid who re-foamed them and replaced the crossovers
so they live on rattling windows and annoying neighbors...
harspk%20008.jpg
 
I bought a pair of cv 311p's at the flea market last year for 30 dollars. The guy also gave me pair of 39p's because he was tired of hauling them around.

I have been using the 311's they had been refoamed, I like them. The 39p's had one incorrect woofer, the other was cv L121-4. I fought one but I thought the 45 plus 20 dollars for shipping was to high.

I bought a set of Utah HSC-1' with no cabinet. I put in the 12 inch woofer in the 39p's. I had to play with the sound pots, I should clean them with deoxit.

With a KA8004 listening to Billy Idol, I was content. It's fun to see what speakers sound like. I just bought a pair of Fukuyo Speakers 16ohm 12 woofer, mid and horn tweeter. It will be interesting to see how they sound, I just bought them for 12.50,

The have tow coils, a big and smaller one.
picture.php
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1590&pictureid=10197[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Still listening to these CV stacks. Most people I know don't have anything more than a boom box. Seems a lot of family people listen to music through their computer satellites & 6" or 8" sub. Sad Day.
 
I have a lot of respect for them and we have only had one pair in the store CLS-215 was the model, the twin 15" monsters.
They were LOUD but the high end out of the 6.5" and horn tweeter lacked all detail and it was surprisingly lacking in bass. A cheaper pair of kefs (Q900) beat it in all respects except for volume and that "loud" sound
 
I have a lot of respect for them and we have only had one pair in the store CLS-215 was the model, the twin 15" monsters.
They were LOUD but the high end out of the 6.5" and horn tweeter lacked all detail and it was surprisingly lacking in bass. A cheaper pair of kefs (Q900) beat it in all respects except for volume and that "loud" sound

What were you powering them with? Take a step into my cave and you'll find teeth rattling bass and very good detail. You need a really good powerful source with these.. I found that to make the biggest difference.
 
CV is like Klipsch, both need tube amps or early style SS to sound best. And are very demanding of what's paired with them and source material.
 
I was using a Carver M-400 on one channel and a M-400t on the other. The t model sounds better. Now I run both pairs on the 400t amp and the other is used as a subwoofer amp. The M-400t puts out plenty of power to drive all four. Playing TelArc's 1812 Overture scares the cats & dog out of the room every time!
 
Back
Top Bottom