• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Changing it Up! Part Deux

Art,
I'm very interested in your narrowed-down list. In particular, I'm interested in how these short-listers compare to the Spendor A1s.

I'm entertaining the thought of replacing my office system mini-monitor speakers this year.

I am presently using a 20 year old pair of Spendor SP1/5s. These are a limited edition version of the Spendor German broadcast monitor SP15/2 and were supposedly the last speakers voiced by Spencer Hughes himself.
Speaker technology does move on though, so new input is needed.
Thoughtful input like yours would be highly valued.
 
Last edited:
In my research here is another speaker that I keep reading about. This is one that I have never heard but can listen to right next to the X12's...the Linn Majik 109. Think I'll make a couple of calls tomorrow. Could be a dark horse in the race. Though I am closing in on another winner.

The Spendor SA1 is one of my least favorite Spendor speakers. I was talking to a dealer last week who agreed and said that he thinks it is one of their least musical efforts, ever. Spendor makes some fabulous speakers and the SA1 is no slouch but I'd take the S3/5R2 over it any day. Warmer, richer and more organic and more involving.
 
...and then there were three.

The used speakers fell through. The folks were asking more than I thoiught they were worth so I am down to the top three.

1) Spendor S3/5R2
2) KEF LS50
3) Harbeth P3ESR

I will also give the ProAc Tablette Anniversary another listen as they can all be heard at the same place.

The Harbeth P3ESR's are back in favor? Maybe you had what you wanted from the get go. I can't recall if it was the Spendor SA-1 or the S3/5R that I listened to a few years back, but it sounded nice. I think it was the latter. In your opinion, would either of those work well with low power such as from a low powered SE tube amp or chip amp?
 
The Harbeth P3ESR's are back in favor? Maybe you had what you wanted from the get go. I can't recall if it was the Spendor SA-1 or the S3/5R that I listened to a few years back, but it sounded nice. I think it was the latter. In your opinion, would either of those work well with low power such as from a low powered SE tube amp or chip amp?

I don't think they would work well with a low power SET amp. I do think that any of them will partner well with a tube amp, however. It really depends on what you want from them.

After spending more time in conversation with ears that I trust today the KEF LS50 is way up on my list and the Nola Boxer has crept in to the dark horse position. The one time possible Penaudio Rebel 3 is out. If today were decision day it would be the KEF's, yesterday the Harbeth's and last week the Spendor's. That's how tight it is.
 
I don't think they would work well with a low power SET amp. I do think that any of them will partner well with a tube amp, however. It really depends on what you want from them.

After spending more time in conversation with ears that I trust today the KEF LS50 is way up on my list and the Nola Boxer has crept in to the dark horse position. The one time possible Penaudio Rebel 3 is out. If today were decision day it would be the KEF's, yesterday the Harbeth's and last week the Spendor's. That's how tight it is.

Those KEF's sounded nice when I heard them, but the demo was with a 200 + watt per channel Parasound amp. They were very impressive and I was surprised by the bass performance. Right now, I don't have any amp over 35 watts a side. My Boxers like more power, so they just sit there looking pretty because the Hornshoppe's get all the play. My Boxers will probably be going up on Bartertown soon.
 
I've heard those Boxer's sound quite nice with relatively low powered amps. Again, I think it depends on what you listen to or what your expectations are. The folks I have been talking to use and sell the Boxer's and LS50's for low powered amps...that is 30-50 watts per side. Talking about good quality, robust amps. If you listen primarily to prog rock and whatnot, or listen loud, you might need more power.
 
Hi Art K.

This thread from Australian forum stereo net au will likely interest you..

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/44568-standmount-speakers-an-addicts-guide/

Keeping an eye on what you choose as I'm in a similar situation - 3.5x3m room, need speakers.

I've been considering Legend Acoustic Kurre's, which are native to Tasmania, but these may be too big for my room.

Cheers!
Greig

Great thread and thank you for the link. Shoot I've had even more standmounts through here than he has, including ProAc, Paradigm, Totem Wharfedale Evo, Epos and many many more.

So far among ones that he owns and reviewed that are common to ones that I have owned or done long term listening with, we rate them very close to the same. Makes that an even more interesting thread.
 
I just hope with all those so very good choices you will not regreat your move. Those Kef looks absolutly georgous and seem to have terrific reviewa. I just can't wait to see the end of this journey Art. How exciting it might be :-P

It will be also interesting too see the comparaison with your Dynaudio which I guess are your reference at this time. But I must tell ya, there is some serious contenders in this avanture !
 
Last edited:
I've heard those Boxer's sound quite nice with relatively low powered amps. Again, I think it depends on what you listen to or what your expectations are. The folks I have been talking to use and sell the Boxer's and LS50's for low powered amps...that is 30-50 watts per side. Talking about good quality, robust amps. If you listen primarily to prog rock and whatnot, or listen loud, you might need more power.

You are right, my Boxers are fine with either my Pass F5 or Cayin A50T amp. Both those amps are at the lower spectrum of what you described, 25 and 35 watts per side respectively. I would consider them both robust, good quality, but that is just an opinion. The problem is when I try a T-amp or a SE tube amp. Just not enough gusto for me and I do like it a little loud when the mood strikes me. I am still trying to get just the right fit for a low watt/high efficiency set up for the home office and keep the higher power stuff for the den. From a standpoint of what I've heard those KEF LS50's are very hard to beat for their price point. Small and look good too!
 
Back
Top Bottom