• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Charles Eames designed Stephens Trusonic

, I have not had a chance to play it yet but it is a two way: 15” woofer and a separate Stephens 214 horn ‘ultra high frequency tweeter’

Mmmmm .....Looks like a12" woofer to me.

Treat that 214 tweeter gently. They're fragile and $$$ to replace.
 
Last edited:
Line cabinet with 100% 2” cotton upholstery batting. Fiberglass is an acoustic brake, nasty stuff. Feel free to try both and see what you think. I have, the difference between the two materials is remarkable. Fiberglass belongs in your walls.

Biggles
 
The good news is the 214 tweeter is good :) just a bad crossover as I was hoping.
Thanks Biggles I will use the cotton batting.

yes, the crossover is a 5000x with just one capacitor. Is there a possible upgrade to a better crossover that I could try?
 
These speakers are being collected by museums
This product is a perfect candidate for museums that feature collections of modern design, particularly Americana home wares. Tsk, tsk, for the phila curators, however - - it appears they have mis-identified the correct speaker model.
 
So I very carefully chipped the tar a bit to see if I could ID the cap value, then I put the crossover in my toaster oven for a while on low heat and it softened up enough to just pop out. You were right it’s a 2 mfd cap. And voila, there is a coil in there also.
 

Attachments

  • 3E1A355E-73F8-425F-A76A-D5355B9AD6EB.jpeg
    3E1A355E-73F8-425F-A76A-D5355B9AD6EB.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 28BDA65D-FD35-49CC-8F2E-31B4BBA78767.jpeg
    28BDA65D-FD35-49CC-8F2E-31B4BBA78767.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 104
So I very carefully chipped the tar a bit to see if I could ID the cap value, then I put the crossover in my toaster oven for a while on low heat and it softened up enough to just pop out. You were right it’s a 2 mfd cap. And voila, there is a coil in there also.
Another Stephens crossover mystery solved! There is very little information available regarding Stephens crossover components, thank you for sharing your findings. Looking forward to your listening impressions when you get everything in order.
 
wow that’s amazing. It’s funny that they labels it wrong. I know I need to keep everything original. Maybe I’ll just try to replace the single capacitor and see how it sounds

also found another flyer
Replace the cap. Keep it simple and original. You can’t modify or upgrade museum pieces. Which is why I won’t accept them anymore, too much responsibility for me.

Biggles
 
Great job digging those dinosaur bones from the La Brea tar pits. :thumbsup:
Thanks, it was a lot messier than it looks in the picture that tar is very brittle and the lil’ chunks were flying everywhere an I chipped away, but not impossible:). I like that it will looks original when I get it out back together.
I have not idea why they though this was a good idea to pour tar over everything. Maybe tar was sort of an exciting new material at the time?
 
....why...this was a good idea to pour tar over everything...
Yeah, that is a real mess, and I'm happy I've never run into this type of installation. I think I may have read that the tar immersion was an attempt to keep moisture from affecting the electronic components.
 
so, wife works for Herman Miller, and I happen to have the 671 stand for it.
I'm sorry, the four-pronged star stand with domes of silence isolated feet.

Stand and pole and attachment point to the bottom of the speaker.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Dnt6SfPX4AIDJuY


Robert
 
so, wife works for Herman Miller, and I happen to have the 671 stand for it.
I'm sorry, the four-pronged star stand with domes of silence isolated feet.

Stand and pole and attachment point to the bottom of the speaker.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Dnt6SfPX4AIDJuY


Robert


Sorry, .... what?
 
In Eames speak, the 670 is the model number for the famous lounge chair, originally rosewood, leather and metal base. The chair base is 5 pronged with a great story to go along with why. The 671 is the optional foot rest that has a four pronged base.

Like automotive companies that grab something from a parts bin (Lamborghini famously shared a taillight with a lowly Fiat once) Eames grabbed his four prong base for his speaker.

So, there was an option of the legs, or the four-prong base.

Here is that link from above of the speaker in the Philadelphia Museum of Art
https://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/254004.html
 
Last edited:
I see, I didn’t understand what you were saying before Robvolz. Not caught up on the Eames lingo yet. Yes this one just has the straight legs. I’m gonna keep it as is, but I think it was a great idea to use the chair legs so the speaker could swivel.

also, I’ve never heard that tail light story, will look that up. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom