• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Charles Eames designed Stephens Trusonic

I think I may have read that the tar immersion was an attempt to keep moisture from affecting the electronic components.

That is one benefit, but less of a problem in an indoor item.

The biggest benefit is ensuring low-frequency vibration from the woofer cannot fracture any of the connections or create low-frequency resonance points. Stress fractures from vibration is why crossover components must be carefully secured. Solid wires will break. A lesser benefit is removing any of the vibration in the windings, the same reason that the windings are potted in a power transformer, output transformer, or motor. Modern potting now uses rubbery silicones. I've elsewhere discussed how one may pay a electrical-motor rebuilding shop to pot transformers.
 
Thanks
This should be up and running tomorrow. The woofer had several small cracks and one big one. I did the most meticulous woofer cone repair with very thin rice paper and a slightly diluted all weather acrylic caulk. I applied two thin layers over the course of a few days on the weakened edges of the cone. I also have some universal tints and I used that to color match the acrylic sealer to the color of the woofer paper.

I suppose I should look for one of the chairs now ? :)
 

Attachments

  • A2E8609E-307E-4333-93DC-41A7FAA7CA3D.jpeg
    A2E8609E-307E-4333-93DC-41A7FAA7CA3D.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 8DDB8F5F-9CB9-4243-B8B4-3AA3FA569076.jpeg
    8DDB8F5F-9CB9-4243-B8B4-3AA3FA569076.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 78
  • 7BE35521-BA9E-450C-985F-C68A12B71349.jpeg
    7BE35521-BA9E-450C-985F-C68A12B71349.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I ended up using an open cell foam inside the cabinet just because I didn’t want to use felt and have to use a bunch of staples. I just used a light 3M spray adhesive to get the foam in place. Just tested the speaker by connecting it into my phone headphone jack and it plays almost normal listening level just powered by the phone. You all know how efficient these old speakers can be. Can’t wait to power it up with my tube amp later
 

Attachments

  • 2D214C4F-9405-482F-B395-49937C499A05.jpeg
    2D214C4F-9405-482F-B395-49937C499A05.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 59
Oh man, this is cool. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds. Maybe buy a used Eames replica footstool and refinish it to be the speaker stand?
 
This is my piece of heaven right here. I enjoy this speaker so much. As far as the sound. I think almost nothing sounds quite as good as music from the 50’s and early sixties, and in mono of course. There was a way of engineering sound for mono that gives a different kind of space. I think it had to do with how instruments were arranged around the microphone. The sound reminds me of the University 315 coaxial that I have.
 

Attachments

  • A0DF126E-7ACC-45FC-BE16-369EE031E0CE.jpeg
    A0DF126E-7ACC-45FC-BE16-369EE031E0CE.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 53
Again, this is a remarkable speaker and remarkable find. Congrats to you!
What is the preamp? I recently acquired a single JBL C40 that I am going to use as a mono system in my kitchen. I am slowly getting mono amps to try with it. The only mono preamp I have is a Dynaco PAM1 that was found unused about 8 or so years ago.
 
Again, this is a remarkable speaker and remarkable find. Congrats to you!
What is the preamp? I recently acquired a single JBL C40 that I am going to use as a mono system in my kitchen. I am slowly getting mono amps to try with it. The only mono preamp I have is a Dynaco PAM1 that was found unused about 8 or so years ago.
I’m using this Altec 339A integrated mono amp that I have, but have also used a mono block and just plugged my phone into that.
 
I had a pair of 120 fr woofers in Davis enclosures used with Oxford horns and a Hemholtz resonator. . They were a little mid range and 1000 to 3500 hz strong, but they were efficient and matched up well with my early Scott 222C and 299D amps. They were an economical choice back in the early 60's. $159.00 each as I remember. I wanted more extended bass so I ended up with a pair of Altec Carmels a few years later.
 
There is on of those Eames Trusonics in an old 50's B movie, "Blood of Dracula". It is in a girls boarding school and the girls
are playing 45's on a Miracord.
This is the kind of info I love to find here, haha! Thanks, now I have to see that movie
 
That's a nice looking speaker even for today!
It doesn't look difficult to copy and could make an Altec Model 19 and many others look nice!
Is the white a Formica sort of material or painted?
 
Last edited:
That's a nice looking speaker even for today!
It doesn't look difficult to copy and could make an Altec Model 19 and many others look nice!
Is the white a Formica sort of material or painted?
yes I agree, the front is white Formica with aluminum trim, the black grill cloth is some kind of woven synthetic black fiber.
 
JBL had a Lancer model - the 88 - that I think is even cooler. It was a standard rectangular bookshelf enclosure, butwith a wood and black cloth grill with a cloth circle over the woofer and a black rectangle over the upper part where the cone tweeter was. It had a forty-five degree bevel so it covered almost the entire front - there was only a thin lip surrounding the grill, so it looked integral to the enclosure.
Not the greatest sounding speaker - perfectly fine, but there is a reason that midranges exist, and more sophisticated tweeters and crossovers do too - but I think it is the most handsome speaker ever made.
 
Back
Top Bottom