• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cheap Chinese 6P3P kit

Here it is with the Lights On...
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • PreAmp a Glow.JPG
    PreAmp a Glow.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Thanks Ray....I also dropped the 24K FB down to 7K...It helped a bit, but it still has a Lot of Gain...There's No Way that you would want to Twist this to 11:00...You might want to check the Specs. With 270V x2 on the PT, it cannot have a B+ of 245V...I Have 280V.
 
You guys kill me. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who, after, reading 'Ray's' posts, looking at his website, giving some thought as to where this kit is coming from, , and STILL thought it worth a flutter - "oh, but it is soooo cheap!" - on this amp? Well, as they say, you gits what you pay fer. Me? I'll stay on this side of the pond, thank you.
 
Yeah, I got just what I paid for...And Built It...And it Really Sounds Good, even before the Mods begin. Any other $165 Pre-Amplifier Kits, Shipped, like This out there? Let me know...
Hey Ray...How about a Tube Phono Stage Kit??
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I got just what I paid for...And Built It...And it Really Sounds Good, even before the Mods begin. Any other $165 Pre-Amplifier Kits, Shipped, like This out there? Let me know...
Hey Ray...How about a Tube Phono Stage Kit??

Tube phona stage would be reay COOL:thmbsp: Glad you got it up and running:banana:
 
phono kit is under developing. You'll find at least 15 new products from us, all developed by ourselves, at the killing price :smoke:

I'm so happy to see more and more of you get the kits work. Hope Tanner can finish his preamp project. I must thank sled for his great work, it encourage Tanner to believe this is a working kit.

Yeah, I got just what I paid for...And Built It...And it Really Sounds Good, even before the Mods begin. Any other $165 Pre-Amplifier Kits, Shipped, like This out there? Let me know...
Hey Ray...How about a Tube Phono Stage Kit??
 
Anyone notice how the power supply, and the rest of the preamp, are almost completely separated from each other. Sure cuts down on the possible interference I would think.

I wonder if a metal partition would further keep any hum from bleeding over into the preamp circuit? Just a thought.
 
Well I tore into my preamp, and moved a bunch of things around. It looks like the pictures. And guess what It still hums???? This project may be over my head. I'm thinking about giving up. I spend 4 hours redoing the preamp. It looks great, good solder joints. The wires are routed nicely. I dont understand what I'm missing???
 
I guess I should just stop getting upset about this project. But its really hard not to. I dont know every thing, But I have followed this tread and looked the pictures over, Plus the emails to members on this board and siliconray as well. And I still can't make this thing work correctly. So whats the secret? This kit is really not worth the headaches, I feel like a failure, and that I have wasted my time and money. Again thanks to all the members that have helped me thus far. So do I throw it in the trash? put it on barter town ? or just give up on the whole thing and let is go to someone that wants to mess with it finish it. Clearly I can't do it.
 
I guess I should just stop getting upset about this project. But its really hard not to. I dont know every thing, But I have followed this tread and looked the pictures over, Plus the emails to members on this board and siliconray as well. And I still can't make this thing work correctly. So whats the secret? This kit is really not worth the headaches, I feel like a failure, and that I have wasted my time and money. Again thanks to all the members that have helped me thus far. So do I throw it in the trash? put it on barter town ? or just give up on the whole thing and let is go to someone that wants to mess with it finish it. Clearly I can't do it.

Describe the hum.. Both channels? Constant? or does it change with volume?

I feel your frustration cuz i went a week trying to quell a hum in a console amp that I rebuilt. I had no replacement pre amp tubes on hand to try in it. I finally found one locally. It fixed it. The first three nights I was convinced the hum was in both channels until I disconnected the one speaker.

You'll get it .. don't give up !

I had received a lot of help from the AK members on this site. I learned how to trace the source of the hum in the signal path. By shunting the signal to ground at any point in the path told me whether the hum was coming upstream or down stream from that point. If the hum stops, it is coming from upstream. I was careful to stay away from the high voltages. The fact that only one channel was humming told me the power supply was not to blame.
 
Last edited:
60 HZ hum on both channels?? I ran a signal test through the preamp @ 1000 HZ with just a speaker attached to the out puts to check for low level hum. It does amplifie the signal. I started tracing the signal all the way through it seems ok. The power supply is putting out over the stated 245 v? closer to 280 v I think the transfomer is got a little issue I'm not sure, I'll put it on the variac and adjust it to the correct voltage. I just cant see any issues, The wiring is correct (I think) the build is just about like the pictures. I placed the caps over as far away from the preamp as I could. all the wires are twisted in pairs? I'll post pictures tonight. I think I would feel better If I just removed the problem for my life, This is a real PITA and I wish I would have never got involved. I don't need a preamp I have a Mcintosh, and a Phase Linear.Both are worlds better than this thing. But I just want to know why it does not work? If its the build quality OK thats on me I can handle that, but if its the quality of the parts then I have a problem. As advertised (Easy for the beginner) LOL so not true
 
I also have a 278V B+... But no Hum...Is it Very Loud? If so, check your Inputs and make sure you didn't lose the Ground.
 
Here are some pictures

Let me know if you see anything that is messed up. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. The members here on this board are wonderful!!!!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0375.jpg
    DSCN0375.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0374.jpg
    DSCN0374.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom