• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cleaning and Maintenance Tips for JBL L65

It’s a large foam sheet, longer and wider than the original, so it will need to be cut. I’m thinking of inserting it on its own, just adding the aluminum JBL logo.
I don’t think I’ll attach it to the original cardboard sheet.
The weight of the glass could crush it, so I might buy a thicker foam.
Unfortunately, I’ve been very busy and haven’t had time to start the work; I’ve only bought all the tools and products for the restoration. I think I should be able to find time to do all the necessary work in April.

I would assume it could be attached to the original Card Stock with a Contact Cement Spray.

But as you're mentioning-thinking, that it will compress-flatten in time, and perhaps not the ideal Foam Sheeting? I myself could not say if it would be suitable unless I examined the product.

Hard to tell from your pics if this is an open cell foam, or closed cell foam material.

Keep in mind I bought 4 of them new back in the day, and they are speakers I still own till this day.

With that said, I am very aware of how they were from new. The thin Velvet I used closely mimicked the original look and thickness. That when Glass Tops are placed on top, they look perfect.
 
Yes it is probably not the best product, but it is easy to cut and inexpensive, so it is worth a try.
When I do the work I will update this thread with the results.
 
Hi there!
Here we go :)

Finally I managed to find some time for the restoration.
Everything is going very well thanks to your valuable support, and your advice has been very helpful.
Thank you all.

Here the new foam pad for top, it fits perfect (0.0787 inches).



This is the walnut veneer after the first layer of a mix made of 3 parts boiled linseed oil and 1 part turpentine. The result is truly excellent—the wood immediately gained shine and depth of color. I will definitely apply one or two more layers of this mix.





For now, I’m really happy with the result. Unfortunately, I have to stop here, work commitments don’t allow me to dedicate more time to this project. I’ll probably be able to finish the restoration in June or July.
:)
:)
 
Last edited:
Hi there!
Here we go :)

For now, I’m really happy with the result. Unfortunately, I have to stop here, work commitments don’t allow me to dedicate more time to this project. I’ll probably be able to finish the restoration in June or July.
I'm having trouble seeing your photos.

I'm sure the results are good! :thumbsup:
 
I can’t upload all the photos straight to the forum, so I have to use an external host, but when I do that, they get blocked.
No idea why.
 
I can’t upload all the photos straight to the forum, so I have to use an external host, but when I do that, they get blocked.
No idea why.
You should be able to upload photos if you are a member. :idea:

Use the ATTACH FILES option in the lower left corner of each new post. UPLOAD the file from your computer. Then, INSERT FULL IMAGE.

380c43a0-b157-4073-a9c4-51dffe54ce5e.jpg
 
Last edited:
I can only upload one photo, not all three, it’s happened to me several times.
At first, I was able to upload as many photos as I wanted, but now I can’t.
 
I can only upload one photo, not all three, it’s happened to me several times.
At first, I was able to upload as many photos as I wanted, but now I can’t.
Hmm... Let me try this.

Pioneer PL-70 (0).jpg

Tesla-MC-600-Q-Angelicaaudio.jpg

Thorens TD124 transcrption (1).jpg

Try clearing your browser's cache and restarting it. :idea:
 
Hi there,
I have a small issue with the attenuator knob on the crossover of one of my L65s.
When I touch the presence knob, the whole attenuator moves.
I'm about 90% sure the retaining washer has come loose.
Is there a way to lift off the plastic presence knob and tighten the washer underneath, without having to remove the sticker that covers the whole panel and unscrew the entire attenuator assembly?
How can I remove the black presence knob? With pliers? With a puller?
P.s.
I hope the photos don't get removed again.


l65.png

nut.png

attenuator.png
 
Last edited:
Even if you could remove the control knob, I believe that the hole in the Foilcal plate is too small for a socket to fit. At least, that's the problem with my 1970s-era L300s.

Sorry.
 
Thank you Mr Boochie,

Even if you could remove the control knob, I believe that the hole in the Foilcal plate is too small for a socket to fit.

Yes! you are right! That's it.

I found a solution, even though it's not definitive.

The washer is larger than the attenuator knob, and there's enough space to insert a thin pair of pliers.
By anchoring the washer at two corners, I managed to push it in and increase the tightness.
Now the attenuator is steady and doesn’t move, but the tightening is definitely weak.
For the moment, it’s fine like this. I don’t want to remove the sticker or disassemble everything.
If the washer comes loose again, I’ll repeat the tightening procedure.




plier.png
 
Thank you Mr Boochie,



Yes! you are right! That's it.

I found a solution, even though it's not definitive.

The washer is larger than the attenuator knob, and there's enough space to insert a thin pair of pliers.
By anchoring the washer at two corners, I managed to push it in and increase the tightness.
Now the attenuator is steady and doesn’t move, but the tightening is definitely weak.
For the moment, it’s fine like this. I don’t want to remove the sticker or disassemble everything.
If the washer comes loose again, I’ll repeat the tightening procedure.




View attachment 3573573
I never turn those knobs. Mine are set at zero.

Good luck with the fix! :thumbsup:
 
Mine are also set to zero, and I’ve never changed them.
I had noticed that the knob was off-axis, and then I saw that it was loose.
Vibrations over the years probably loosened the tightening. I’m glad I’ve fixed the issue, even if it might come back again.
 
Mine are also set to zero, and I’ve never changed them.
I had noticed that the knob was off-axis, and then I saw that it was loose.
Vibrations over the years probably loosened the tightening. I’m glad I’ve fixed the issue, even if it might come back again.
Maybe apply a little Locktite Blue to the threads next time. :idea: A Q-tip might work.
 
Back
Top Bottom