• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coffee. Anything coffee related.

I went from a modified popcorn popper to the Behmor 1600 and then upgraded it to the 1600 Plus which provides for manual control and roasting chamber and chimney temperature readouts - which I like much more. I run it programmed until 3/4 of the starting time has elapsed and then take over from there. I'm spoiled by it's 1 lb capacity. Other home roaster choices that will do a pound are very limited.
 
And what comes after the 1600+ if one were to upgrade from there? I'm still at the Whirley Pop level. Results are getting better. So far doing 4oz at a time. I've destroyed a few attempts trying to please my wife with a dark roast. Might be easier to convince her Dark Roasts mask the real flavor of the bean.
 
Hottop, maybe. Or, just step up to a sample roaster. :naughty:

Technically, the Hottop has only 1/2 the capacity of the Behmor, but I've read people say they get more uniform roast from the Behmor at 1/2 load. :dunno:
 
I've been toying with the idea of upping my roasting game. Currently I use a hot air popper that I modified to have PWM control of the heating element.

Have you used exclusively the Behmor, or others too?

I strongly recommend building a Turbo Crazy and using that for a year before getting a Behmor.

My HotTop has ruined more coffee than anything I've ever owned and I DO NOT recommend them.
 
I went from a modified popcorn popper to the Behmor 1600 and then upgraded it to the 1600 Plus which provides for manual control and roasting chamber and chimney temperature readouts - which I like much more. I run it programmed until 3/4 of the starting time has elapsed and then take over from there. I'm spoiled by it's 1 lb capacity. Other home roaster choices that will do a pound are very limited.

I've NEVER gotten a decent 1 lb roast with my Behmor 1600+. It just bakes on full loads. Do you have one of the 220V models? I've heard that they actually come up to the manufacturer's specs.
 
I've NEVER gotten a decent 1 lb roast with my Behmor 1600+. It just bakes on full loads. Do you have one of the 220V models? I've heard that they actually come up to the manufacturer's specs.
Mine is 120V. They are voltage sensitive so no extension cords and I use an outlet fed from my garage sub panel for the best voltage possible. I press [1][P2](B) in that order for 20 min roast. [1](B)[P2] only gives 18 min. At 5:00 I press [Start] and repeatedly press [+] until the extra time is maxed out. At 5:00 remaining the second time I press [P5] and watch for smoke and listen for 1st crack which usually starts at 250-260* and 2:30 to 2:00 remaining. At 1st crack I press [P4] and watch the temp level off 250-255*. Sometimes it takes [P3]. I shoot for full city or full city plus just short of 2nd crack with no time left. If it’s cold I use 15oz instead of a full pound.
 
I strongly recommend building a Turbo Crazy and using that for a year before getting a Behmor.

My HotTop has ruined more coffee than anything I've ever owned and I DO NOT recommend them.

I appreciate the advice but I'd probably go right to the Behmor (et al). I roasted on the straight up air popper for some months before adding the PWM control to vary the heat and have been using that for a year or so.

But, we have a local coffee shop where they have a small 1kg gas fired drum roaster. Me and another fellow may have struck a deal to get some custom roasting done there. I have about a pound-n-half left of some Guatemala Acatenango Gesha..I'll probably give that over for our first trial run. :yikes:

That is not to say it's the roaster's trial run, they've been open for a while now. Just that it's small market so they stick to basic Colombian and flavored stuff. I like to try different varieties.
 
I'm a fan of German coffee, and drink Jacob's on the weekends...

81e2Nv1-5RL._SY679SX392_SY679_CR,0,0,392,679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX392_SY679_CR,0,0,392,679_SH20_.jpg
 

"Do you see me wearing a green apron? Are there a bunch of premade sandwiches and hard boiled eggs in that case?" Classic.
 
1955 Universal Cofeematic percolator (chrome over solid copper !), Kitchen Aid burr grinder, Guatemalan beans....

upload_2017-11-1_11-49-58.png
 
Stumbles into kitchen, finds refrigerator. Opens door, manages to find coffee bin.
Blankly loads coffee grinder with beans, throws switch; hears awful loading noise, then nothing.
Ahh crap,... technical difficulties before coffee. How the heck am I to figure this out??

OK,... tried bouncing grinder around a bit to see if it is just jammed; nope.
Unplugs grinder to see if its an outlet issue,.. but first removes little glass catch jar, to avoid breaking it (this is a major achievement before coffee).
I move coffee grinder over to the other counter area, and plug it back in. I throw the switch, and, bingo, we have coffee grinding,......
except for that glass catchment jar that is over on the other counter,.. the one removed to avoid breaking it.
Ahh crap, fresh ground coffee is all over the base of the machine, and spilling out on the counter top.

I break out a paper towel, and put the entire grinder thing on it, and start brushing coffee grinds onto the paper towel, and, then, brushing the pile off of the countertop.
Fortunately, a granite countertop, so, I sweep it all into the glass jar.

Coffee grinding catastrophe aside....
I fill the tea pot to boil some water, and, hit the power switch,... and walk away for the five minutes that it takes to boil up some water.
I come back those minutes alter, and realize that the tea pot is plugged into the same god dang outlet that failed with the coffee grinder, and it never heated the water.

So, I move the tea pot over the the other side of the counter, and try again.
This time success.

OK,... it looks like I need to replace the outlet (as the easiest hoped for fix), right?
I moved everything back into place, and it all works well now. WTF?? Is this just a bad waking nightmare morning?
My theory.,... just a rough day before having coffee.
 
Awesome and I quit using the pre-programmed modes. This works great using 4 oz of beans. Preheat with drum out, chaff tray in for 1:30 sec. Insert drum and press 1lb, start then P5. This put's machine in manual mode. Set a timer for 8 minutes and wait for 1C. Watch 'B' temp and make sure it stays under 320°. Open door if necessary to keep the temp under control otherwise the machine will throw a code. When you hear 1C press P3 & D to speed up the drum. When the desired roast is reached hit stop, remove chaff tray and drum, close the door and hit cool. Cool beans in a colander, tossing, use a fan, whatever. All this after a few weeks getting to know your Behmor. I'm enjoying the unit.
 
Pour over here 90% of the time. An Aeropress once in a while. Weekends, who knows. I let my wife dictate Sat. & Sun.
 
Back
Top Bottom