• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coffee. Anything coffee related.

The warming element on my Braun Aromat 10 went rogue about 25 years back and burned a hole all the way through the formica and set the kitchen on fire. No Braun device of any sort has been allowed in my house since.


I hear you on the Braun. There was a day...when some of the German products were made in the country of orgin( as was Shefield/Swedish steel that would hold an edge forever) and you'd prob lose it rather than wear it out, Not today! Blades of today just don't cut it.(pun not intended)

Sorry to hear bout your sad and almost catastrophic encounter with that "rogue Aromat10". Must be a relative to some Samsung batts of today, eh?


We've a ceramic-type bean grinder that my wife's been trying to get me to get rid of it for some time(sigh). Been with us for the better part of 15 or so years...and I have casually looked the market over at the malls, but there's nothing for this $30 item to replace it. There are ones that one can obtain for some astro sum, but this one gets the job done. It's a pain to unload the ground beans and it is on the messy side...but she wants the world for one within the aforemention price range. If any one can share that there is one under say, $50, then please share. Am I over expecting?

Enough rant for the day. Two coffees in the gut, great homemade cinna buns...sun outside. Life is good!

Q
 
The warming element on my Braun Aromat 10 went rogue about 25 years back and burned a hole all the way through the formica and set the kitchen on fire. No Braun device of any sort has been allowed in my house since.
That's scary!
Was at work yesterday and the last shift forgot to turn off their coffee pot. All the coffee was burnt cripsy and what was left was starting to crackle, snap & pop. Nasty smell. Chewed them out for that.
 
I hear you on the Braun. There was a day...when some of the German products were made in the country of orgin( as was Shefield/Swedish steel that would hold an edge forever) and you'd prob lose it rather than wear it out, Not today! Blades of today just don't cut it.(pun not intended)

Sorry to hear bout your sad and almost catastrophic encounter with that "rogue Aromat10". Must be a relative to some Samsung batts of today, eh?


We've a ceramic-type bean grinder that my wife's been trying to get me to get rid of it for some time(sigh). Been with us for the better part of 15 or so years...and I have casually looked the market over at the malls, but there's nothing for this $30 item to replace it. There are ones that one can obtain for some astro sum, but this one gets the job done. It's a pain to unload the ground beans and it is on the messy side...but she wants the world for one within the aforemention price range. If any one can share that there is one under say, $50, then please share. Am I over expecting?

Enough rant for the day. Two coffees in the gut, great homemade cinna buns...sun outside. Life is good!

Q
Yeah, that's going to be super tough to find in that price range. If you can do $75 I'd recommend the Capresso that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Yes it makes a mess if you immediately remove the bin after grind but let it sit for two minutes it's not a problem (just found this out today after all these years!).
Grinds are uniform and cleaning is easy. Let me see if I can find it...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001QTVXCS/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Well worth it.
 
I hear you on the Braun. There was a day...when some of the German products were made in the country of orgin( as was Shefield/Swedish steel that would hold an edge forever) and you'd prob lose it rather than wear it out, Not today! Blades of today just don't cut it.(pun not intended)

...

Ummmm.... Sheffield steel was made in Sheffield, England. For the most part, it still is.
 
I like my iced coffee so I bought this David Douglas flameware glass decanter.
My wife likes it a lot & I must say it looks really good. Fits perfectly inside the fridge door AND my hands can fit into the opening to clean.
Cheers.IMG_20170204_214731.jpg
 
This thread has got me thinking I've got to expand my horizons and try out our local coffee shop. I was completely happy with my Keurig with DD coffee but now I'm beginning to see that good coffee is almost an artform
 
This thread has got me thinking I've got to expand my horizons and try out our local coffee shop. I was completely happy with my Keurig with DD coffee but now I'm beginning to see that good coffee is almost an artform

Great coffee is part art, part science, and part voodoo witchcraft :)

Find a coffee shop that has a roastery.

coffeeRoastery-02.jpg
 
^^^^^^^We have one similar to that with roasteries and grinders. Any recommendations for a coffee neophyte like myself? I do not like Starbucks (too bitter) but I do like DD flavored coffees.
 
^^^^^^^We have one similar to that with roasteries and grinders. Any recommendations for a coffee neophyte like myself? I do not like Starbucks (too bitter) but I do like DD flavored coffees.

For the bigger retail chains, around here, it's Starbucks, Caribou, or Dunn Brothers. My order of preference is Caribou, Dunn Bros, Starbucks. It's a close tie between Dunn Bros and Caribou though. I could easily go either way. Dunn Bros roasts in house so that's in their favor, but some roasts are a little darker than I like. Seems to depend a bit on the location.

If you can find a true local establishment though maybe you'll find one that stands out for you.
 
Great coffee is part art, part science, and part voodoo witchcraft :)

Find a coffee shop that has a roastery.

coffeeRoastery-02.jpg
This! I I'm very fortunate to have many excellent coffee houses that roast their own coffee here from Temple, Insight, Pachama, Old Soul etc.
As for a comparative bean to DD it depends what your taste buds lean too.
African coffee's lean towards berry fruits first with floral & spice flavor complimenting the berry. While South American coffee's Chocolate, nuttie with a tiny miniscule hint of fruit and spic. I'd steer newbies towards South American flavors for it's balance and chocolate flavor.
Now the above is describing with a broad brush but given a roast from single origin/farm you'll get a consistent flavor throughout the entire bag.
So go pick up a bag, make sure you grind it right and enjoy.
 
Yeah, that's going to be super tough to find in that price range. If you can do $75 I'd recommend the Capresso that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Yes it makes a mess if you immediately remove the bin after grind but let it sit for two minutes it's not a problem (just found this out today after all these years!).
Grinds are uniform and cleaning is easy. Let me see if I can find it...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001QTVXCS/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Well worth it.





Hey, thanks for the heads up on the grinder.:thumbsup:

With conversion of $ and shipping it'd be around $125/135 to have it sent for me. Big task for sell this one with wifey...but have been surprized before. May have to show her some of the prices that have been quoted for other coffee gear on this thread, eh?:)

Will also try that "two min" less/mess fix on the grinder we have as the Amazon example looks much like the one we have.

Q
 
The smell in my local coffee shop comes out of a can, man ...
A really really big can ...

original_Freshly-Roasted-Coffee.jpg

The smell of roasting coffee is an acquired one.

From wet lawn grass to some really stinky suff to an acrid smokey affair.

I LOVE IT....

4-3-2015_sf1_zpsfmkauuxv.jpg
 
Anyone or know of anyone who has had an allergy for coffee?

Q
No I haven't. I know I'm allergic to a specific Vodka. Ciroc or something and within three minutes of taking a SIP I had broken out in a rash making my back/neck look like skin of a strawberry! Also my ears,, nose and face turned red and I felt like I was on fire. My wife was laughing and said "your burning up"! Lucky for me this was in dead of winter so I was able to walk outside shirtless to get some very much needed cooling.
NEVER again will I have that brand of Vodka.
That happens to me to a lesser degree with any alcohol. But not coffee!!! Woohoo.
 
Back
Top Bottom