• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Conceal and Carry Recommendations?

Inspiribomb

Enjoy the journey
A while back I got my conceal/carry permit, and have been debating which gun I want to carry. I've been looking at the Springfield XD subcompact, and some offerings from Kimber like the Eclipse. Looking for something easily concealed, around .40 caliber, and ideally one that will take a tactical light.

Thoughts or recommendations?
 
Register to hide this ad
SMALL 5 shot .44spl cal revolver you don't need a tactical light if you shoot someone you will be within 12 feet farther then that and your going to have some explaining to do.

Autos can jam revolvers can't if you don't have time to drop a speed loader in after 5 shots you are either in the wrong war zone or need pratice.

I have both the wife has an Astra A-90 a 15+1 9mm DA auto with nite glow sites it's quite the firearm.

And due to it's size and weight she almost never carries it.

I carry a Bauer .25auto with a spare clip it fits in a small flat holster in my back pocket behind my wallet. I can have it with me if all I'm wearing are cut offs at the beach.

If I'm going somewhere serious I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 2.5" barrel 5 rds in .44spl BIG HUGE 230GR hollow points that move slow will loose all their energy in a chest cavity and end up the size of a silver dollar with pinwheel edges. And 2 speed loaders. In a arm pit holster I can hide under a ski sweater or light jacket. In a pinch the pistol will fit in my front pocket. Empty pistol weighs just 19 ounces.
 
I carry a Ruger LCP 380 very lightweight and very concealable.
Yes ---I have CCW or CPL -- call what you want.
BUT -I do not carry 24/7 but only when I feel the need to (bad neighborhoods or on trips).
James
 
Why do you need to carry a concealed weapon?

Sort of funny......I knew a guy who owned a gun store, and he was always packing a gun at his side! I'd always say, hey Jim, who ya gonna shoot? To me, I mean seriously, A gun is almost an invite for trouble. Sure sometimes it's clean cut, but I've heard horror stories about not so clean cut, and the heat lamps that follow. I like guns. Own quite a few including my favorite, the AK 47, but just don't get why you'd need to pack, for the most part. I could see it if you lived in a bad area like say Iraq:D But so many people in my area carrie a conceeled weapon like my dad, in the lawless and crime ridden city evil farm lands of of Parma Idaho! It really is funny.
 
Why do you need to carry a concealed weapon?

The Supreme Court has affirmed that police have no duty/obligation/responsibility to protect any given individual person. Some choose to take that responsibility into their own hands by means within their legal rights or privileges.
 
Last edited:
But so many people in my area carrie a conceeled weapon like my dad, in the lawless and crime ridden city evil farm lands of of Parma Idaho! It really is funny.

Yes, abundant concealed carry and low crime rates tend to go hand in hand. :scratch2:

An armed society is a polite society.:D
 
Moderator's note: Folks, do not allow this to become a discussion of political matters. The topic is "recommendations for conceal and carry", please keep your responses within that topic. If you do not have a recommendation for the OP, simply close this page without replying and read something else.
 
How about a Kahr 40 or 45? I've heard a lot of good things about them.. Only problem as mentioned, they are auto... but I prefer autos over revolvers.

So long as that first shot fires and you make it count... if you don't make it count, why bother?
 
Thanks for the tips. Understood about revolvers, I've been looking at semi-autos and 1911's, really like the Kimbers, but at anywhere from 500-1000+, they are not cheap. Its nice that the CC permit doubles as a permit to buy. I don't intend to carry often, but there are times when I will.
 
Mr. Smith

Mrs. 70salesguy travels every other week to see her parents. Her mother is in a nursing home and her father lives by himself in another town about 45 minutes away, out through the country. During the last year, her mother has been in and out of the hospital several times. As a result, she is often traveling by herself at night.

She has a concealed carry permit and carries.

I purchased a S&W model 642 38 special+P for her use. It is part of their "airweight" series, as it has an alloy frame and a shrouded hammer. It is pretty light at 15 oz. (unloaded) and is easy to conceal.

I like S&W, Ruger and SA and own products from all. I have shot the SA sub-compacts and they are nice. I own a SA 45 and have a streamlight tactical light and laser on it. It is my choice for "let's check out that noise in the middle of the night".

I chose a small-frame revolver for Mrs. 70SG for several reasons. The small size, the light weight, ease of handling and the shrouded hammer prevents "catching the hammer" when drawn from a purse or pocket. Although I carry and have several automatics, including a S&W 1006, I chose the revolver for Mrs. 70SG because in the result of a misfire, she need only to pull the trigger again, unlike an automatic. I HOPE that she never needs it, and will consider it money well-spent if she doesn't!

Good luck on your choice, you have shown your responsibility in that you have taken the required courses and passed the background checks to obtain your CCP. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
If you like the 1911's you can always take a look at a Norinco 1911. I've got one and it's a very reliable gun. I've done some work on it to make it a little better shooting and to fit my hand better.

I polished and matched the ramp to the barrel, replaced the trigger with a little longer one, and replaced the rear safety/dovetail to avoid any slide bite...

I've put several thousand rounds through it, and have probably only had 4 or 5 misfeeds or jams. a couple of those was due to a bad reload I didn't notice..
 
One thing to factor into your decision is the amount of time you will be carrying as well. Choosing a heavier framed, larger capacity weapon may seem like a good idea at the gun store, but it does you no good if you get so fed up with wearing it that you leave it at home. A Glock in .40 S&W might be a good piece to consider. Flat sided, light for its caliber, and there's a ton of leather out there for it. Not to mention they're dead simple to operate, and as reliable as any semi-auto has a right to be.

That said, my father carried a .38 S&W (first an N-Frame, then J-Frame Chief's Special) for 30 years on the job, and even though he daily came in contact with situations and persons that might (and occasionally did) require its use, never found need for anything more.
 
The S&W Air-Lite guns are awesome. I got a 44 magnum in partial trade for my Mustang. Traded it to my uncle, he said he can only put about 5 shots through it before it hurts too much to shoot, in large part because it is so light.

I have a Ruger Marksman MKII Government Target model, but that is just way too big to carry, and a .22 isn't exactly a good caliber for that job (although a .22 that you carry does more good than a .44 that you don't).

What about holsters? I'm thinking a shoulder holster would work best for me, although I'll need to have something covering it, like a light jacket or something (legally I don't have to conceal it, but would prefer to not announce that I'm packing).
 
I agree with the weight too... I have a shoulder holster for my 1911, but it's not something I want to carry all the time all day.. they aren't light after several hours.
 
Back
Top Bottom