• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Conceal and Carry Recommendations?

I have but ONE thing to say Aaron...GET THE KIMBER!!! Awesome piece and in .45Cal will stop a Bull moose if need be. My Favorite Caliber. I don`t care where you hit them they Will go down!
 
Autos can jam revolvers can't

That sums up my feelings. If there is ammo in the cylinder, it goes bang when you pull the trigger. No safety to disengage, no worry that the slide doesn't lock in battery after the first round. They just work, every time. With so much on the line in a self-defense scenario......

I like the S&W 586/686 line but also the 19/66/13/65. The .357 is a great round with broad ammo choices such as the Federal 125 gr. JHP, the classic LE & defense round. Recoil is negligible and accuracy excellent.

The post 27 FBI wheelgun, the 13 -

400px-Smith&WessonModel13.jpg
 
A guy I know carries one of the lightweight S&W hammerless (or maybe it's the bobbed hammer model?) .38 revolvers. He claims it's the cat's meow.
 
Aaron I suggest you find a local gun range in your area. Most have handguns you can rent and shoot in their gun range. They may even let you shoot a gun that isn't on their list to shoot if you sound interested in buying. This gives you the opportunity to see how the gun feels and shoots in your hand. I've done this before and it gives you a much better idea if you will like a gun or not. One of my favorites is the Glock model 19 that I have rented over the years.
 
I like Sig Sauer's. Very reliable from what I have heard and the P229 is available in 9mm & .40 S&W. This is one of their compacts.

With numerous law enforcement and federal contracts, the P229® is one of the best selling SIG SAUER® pistols available. The new P229 Elite features an ergonomic beavertail grip, front cocking serrations, front strap checkering, SIGLITE® Night Sights, custom wood grips and the new Short Reset Trigger or SRT. SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. The P229 Elite is available in 9mm & .40 S&W.

Sig Sauer Pistols

Sig Sauer P229.jpg
 
Aaron I suggest you find a local gun range in your area. Most have handguns you can rent and shoot in their gun range. They may even let you shoot a gun that isn't on their list to shoot if you sound interested in buying. This gives you the opportunity to see how the gun feels and shoots in your hand. I've done this before and it gives you a much better idea if you will like a gun or not. One of my favorites is the Glock model 19 that I have rented over the years.

I sold a model 19 to finance 3 beryllium tweeters. It had a problem with the ejecting mechanism.Quite often the ejected casing wouldn't completely clear and then jam.
 
Kahr has some nice small semiautos. PM9/CM9, PM40/CM40, CM45...

My wife carries a mini Kahr 9mm auto (while we're in Texas where her permit is).


When we're in CA, we have to sneak, so usually it's a beat-up .357 Ruger snub nose revolver in case it gets confiscated. CA doesn't respect TX permits :thumbsdn: I have a very used 9mm Beretta for CA, and a NICE Colt SAA 45 in high-polished nickel for TX.

I can see by the previous posts that this thread will probably go political and get locked, but would the mods please consider leaving the non-political parts up for awhile? The original question, in my views, isn't political, since it's only asking what kind of side arms you have. Shooting is also an outdoor sport, and we have a pistol range here on our ranch in CA where nobody's breaking any laws, or offending any pacifists.

Charles
 
Quite often the ejected casing wouldn't completely clear and then jam.

As you can see I haven't shot a lot of pistols or ammo through them. Just rented a few here and there. It's been a while and there are quite a few new pistols I would like to shoot. Thanks for the heads up on my recommendation.
 
Thank you for all the input. I respectfully request that people refrain from political comments, as this is a very informative thread for myself and others, and I would be sad if it got locked.
 
I don't understand why people think they need a hand cannon as a carry weapon.
The point is NOT to confront an armed assailant because it does not matter how big your gun is, if they have a weapon pointed at you, you're not gonna get to it fast enough to make a difference anyway.

My philosophy is to be armed at all times so I have chosen the smallest, lightest, most reliable, "vest pocket" automatic made and to make sure that it is ALWAYS in my pocket. I carry a small rubber oval coin purse in the same pocket to break up the outline of the auto.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand why people think they need a hand cannon as a carry weapon.
The point is NOT to confront an armed assailant because it does not matter how big your gun is, if they have a weapon pointed at you, you're not gonna get to it fast enough to make a difference anyway.

My philosophy is to be armed at all times so I have chosen the smallest, lightest, most reliable, "vest pocket" automatic made and to make sure that it is ALWAYS in my pocket. I carry a small rubber oval coin purse in the same pocket to break up the outline of the auto.

I've, thankfully, never been in a position to have needed to draw as an adult. However, I was whacked off a bicycle by a 20-something gang member with a baseball bat when I was about 11. Also when I was a little kid, my Grandma and I had to hide silently in the back bedroom while a burglar went through the house, having smashed the phone. My wife has had a gun pulled on her by a would-be rapist in her apartment in college in Denver, and she didn't have her carry permit yet (no gun with her).

With that said, having a small, easy-to-carry weapon is much better than a big, long-barrel hunk of iron that you'll very likely not have on you when you need it :sigh: . If you're going to carry a weapon, it should be as convenient and as your wallet, and you need to be 110% proficient with it!!!!!!!! Practice, practice, and practice again, and be safe.

Charles
 
Another consideration between a revolver and an auto is if you ever get into handloading (NEVER EVER USE HANDLOADED AMMO WHILE CARRYING) with a revolver you can easily download for target shooting and a slightly reduced cost. While with an auto that requires a minimum amount of recoil to operate light loads can result in the action jamming. I have about 200 rd's of 9mm I went a hair to light on and neither of our 9mm will function smoothly with them.

With a revolver as long as the round has the umph to get the ball clear of the barrel it will function.

And IMHO the Bauer .25 Stainless made on the Baby Browning pattern is the best pocket Auto made. I have carried mine for as long as two years without cycling the slide and been able to rack the slide and fire 6rd's as fast as I can pull the trigger.

And while a .25ACP is a tiny pop gun and has minimal stopping power I would much rather get hit by a bat swung by a gang banger etc. who has just caught 3 in the cest and a couple in the neck while I start at his crotch and work my way up the center of mass then one coming at me all fresh and ready.
 
After owning and operating dozens of different handguns i have found that
I prefer the single stack magazine of the Sig p220 for profile, quality, and accuracy.
It is a .45 cal but very easily concealed and controlled because of the single stack magazine.
Only holds 8 but anyone who can't stop a threat with 8+1 rounds of .45 +P ammo probably shouldn't be shooting a gun IMO.
P220a1.jpg



That sums up my feelings. If there is ammo in the cylinder, it goes bang when you pull the trigger. No safety to disengage, no worry that the slide doesn't lock in battery after the first round. They just work, every time. With so much on the line in a self-defense scenario......
yeah but if we are worrying about worst case scenario, IN extreme CQB a wheel gun can be disabled simply by the attacker grasping the cylinder; if you don't believe me try it!!
a high quality auto with good ammo goes bang everytime too...
most sigs have NO safety at all.
cheers,
tal
 
Last edited:
I miss having my S&W .38, but in NYC you need permits that i don't have. That being said, if you are planning to own, use and/or carry a gun, PLEASE, take safety courses, learn how to load, fire, aim and clean your gun. An educated gun owner is a safer gun owner.
 
I went through gun safety training when I was 12, have grown up around guns, built a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and treat/handle them with the utmost care.
 
Thanks for reminding me.. I got a 50 cal single shot I need to finish.. man would people freak if you conceal carried that and had to pull it out.. LOL... I started that about 10 years ago and never finished it between all the moves and girls,..
 
I went through gun safety training when I was 12, have grown up around guns, built a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and treat/handle them with the utmost care.

I meant that as a general caveat to anyone wanting to own a gun. You'd be surprised how many idiots there are out there who are stupid enough not to know how to handle a weapon with respect.
 
Back
Top Bottom