• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Confessions of a Former Driver Designer"......good article

Register to hide this ad
His comment about taking a 6x9 car driver with a whizzer cone and putting it in a transmission line and marketing it as high end reminded me of Redehko (sp?) who did something very much like that in the 90s, though I don't think it was a TL -- priced like it was though! ( I guess they had to charge a lot to make people take the speaker seriously) -- they did fairly well in England I think, which seems to smile on loony and no so loony audio ideas. I think that there was some connection with Audio Note, though it may have simply been that Audio Note recommended the speaker for their low power amps.
 
G. Help us if we are actually buying cheapo drivers in fancy boxes and paying 10 times too much for it. Then again, what price pleasure?
 
Makes me wonder what kind of changes are in store for the audio world in the near future, When the computer and audio worlds collide. Nice read, thank you.
 
I liked the article. In my zeal to understand more about speaker building and gathering information, I went to the sites he mentioned at the end of the article and book marked them for later read.
 
"Do most people want flat frequency response?

No.

Do most people want low Total Harmonic Distortion?

No.

Do most people want phase coherence, imaging that’s precise to the twelfth decimal place or superior impulse response?

No."



....:lmao: to many, them's fightin' words !
:D
 
Good article. Here's his insightful take on Bose products and marketing:
I've heard all that before and, while his take certainly appears fact-based, neither of his articles shows any interest in or appreciation for listening to high-quality systems in an attempt recreate the live-music experience. :dunno:

More engineering than music appreciation. Valid empirical information but no heart or soul.
 
This is an older article but was quite an entertaining read.
Confessions of a Former Driver Designer
Fascinating. I can see the merits of his experience. The R&D spent in economizing, means a serious amount of experimentation. And not only do you learn about making more with less, you discover where the quality really matters. A high end shop is probably not going to have a very wide knowledge of materials, more focused on specific known high cost materials.

One might argue that he didn't have that much time as a speaker designer. But 3 years spent exposed to a huge myriad of parts across the speaker driver building spectrum and getting to test them out in a lab from parts to testable driver in 30 minutes probably amplifies his experience to about 10 years compared to someone at a more prestigious speaker company.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the listening room is the absolute top. Sure, a very poorly set up room will interfere a lot, but I'd expect that to be more of an exception than the rule. I'd put that just below the quality of the signal source.

Good article. Here's his insightful take on Bose products and marketing:

http://www.perrymarshall.com/marketing/bose/
Terrific link, Finnbow. Perry Marshall really calls it right with Bose, IMHO. I don't think I've ever read an opinion that seems so close to the truth about them.

1) They do have highly skilled engineers.
2) They do have impressive audio technology in their stable.
3) But rather than delivering for the audiophile, they deliver for the average audio consumer. They do it very well. They market it extremely well.
4) The combination of selling to what people want (not what they think people need) and crafting captivating slick marketing campaigns bring about impressive business success.
5) They don't make the best products. They make good products designed in a way to feed seductive advertising that attracts people with money who don't have audiophile demands.

So it isn't to say they make crap. It's overpriced for what you get, no doubt. Take the Bose 901 speakers. At MSRP, forget it. But for a few hundred in the used market? A very good buy.
 
Interesting read. Check out his other links. He is an opinionated guy, and a little narcissistic. Doesn't mean he's wrong though. Some of his assertions are suspect, like the idea that all development is cost control.
 
I think ipods and mp3s are just the tip of the iceburg, i am sure there are more complex digital formats on the horizon.
 
great read.

I can make whizzer's sound great, all it takes is a very small amount of acoustic fluff, put it on the back side of the whizzer.
Everyone can hear the difference.

Will not sound as sweet as a tweeter but it will remove all harshness.
 
Neat read, and so was the Bose marketing article.

A friend worked for an OEM for about 4 or 5 years - they supplied the auto industry and his experiences (as told to me) pretty much match what the article said. He also found that many of the small full range drivers that go into the doors of our cars have pretty good freq response - +-3dB from 100Hz to 8-10kHz was not unusual. They're also built to withstand (and work in) very extreme heat and cold and the shock involved in closing a car door several thousand times! All that for about $5 each. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom