• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Considering a coffee pot upgrade ...

Well, if the timer is a killer feature, perhaps an external programmable relay will broaden your options (as long as it can handle the current)...
 
Get you a good ole Bunn. They are around $100. Mine was still working fine after 14 years. Gave it to a friend of mine to get one of these.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...h-1-upper-and-1-lower-warmer-120v/177C10.html

It is great too.

+1, I bought a Bunn back when they were $50 :yikes:
Its over 20 years old. I picked up other at yard sales.
The ONLY issue I've ever had is that the seal on top of the tank is now getting old. A little rubber gasket engineering fixes that.

Last I saw at Target, they are now $80 or so.

They have hot water ready. Put the grounds in and pour in the water and a pot of coffee is ready almost as fast as you can visit the bathroom. With a little skill (and if you are awake enough) you can fill your cup and slip the pot in when you pull the cup.

Yeah, nothing fancy. US Folgers types LOVE it!
 
Some interesting products here, although none of them fit the bill for me right now. To put it in audio terms, I'm not on the market for the Krell of coffee makers, more like a NAD. ;) If anybody has any suggestions for a drip brew machine with a timer, in the ~$100 or less range, I'd like to read them.

There isn't anything below $150 that will brew in the correct temperature range. If you're just making a mug at a time, I would steer you toward the Clever Coffee Dripper ($15.00) and an electric kettle. The funnel has a plug in the bottom that keeps any coffee from draining through until you're finished brewing at 3-1/2 or 4 minutes. Placing it on the cup opens the valve. The perfect solution for the major problem in pour-over brewing. Spend the rest of the money on a grinder upgrade.

BTW, no BPA in the Clever Dripper funnel.
 
+1, I bought a Bunn back when they were $50 :yikes:
Its over 20 years old. I picked up other at yard sales.
The ONLY issue I've ever had is that the seal on top of the tank is now getting old. A little rubber gasket engineering fixes that.

Last I saw at Target, they are now $80 or so.

They have hot water ready. Put the grounds in and pour in the water and a pot of coffee is ready almost as fast as you can visit the bathroom. With a little skill (and if you are awake enough) you can fill your cup and slip the pot in when you pull the cup.

Yeah, nothing fancy. US Folgers types LOVE it!

If you keep water hot too long, the dissolved air is driven out of it and the coffee will taste flat.
 
I had one of those; it only lasted a couple of years. I still use the carafe for the coffee I make in my still-working, much older Braun. :)

I had a Braun Aromat 10 some 20 odd years ago. The thermal cutout failed and it set fire to my kitchen counter. Last time a Braun appliance ever found its way into my house.
 
There isn't anything below $150 that will brew in the correct temperature range..

What is your correct temperature range?

I have a $30 Cuisinart on-off switch no timer nuthin' fancy model, it puts out 195°F water into the coffee. Measured it with a digital thermometer. It uses #4 Melita filters which I prefer. Makes great coffee.
 
I had a Braun Aromat 10 some 20 odd years ago. The thermal cutout failed and it set fire to my kitchen counter. Last time a Braun appliance ever found its way into my house.
Same failure with a Krups Made In Germany unit I had. Fortunately didn't set fire to anything though.
 
I don't know if you are a member of Costco but they have a KitchenAid 12 Cup Thermal Coffee Maker. It has a high power 1100 watt heater to help reach the correct brewing temp. We owned one years ago and it made a good cup for a drip maker.
 
We just replaced our Mr. Coffee with a new programmable Black & Decker. The improved showerhead makes a hell of a difference. I get a very acceptable cuppa from it.
 
What is your correct temperature range?

I have a $30 Cuisinart on-off switch no timer nuthin' fancy model, it puts out 195°F water into the coffee. Measured it with a digital thermometer. It uses #4 Melita filters which I prefer. Makes great coffee.

I have one of the cuisinart ones with the grinder built in, the idea of sleeping through a coffee grinder in the morning is odd but my family does fine LOL.

That thing cranks out some HOT water, burn your face off hot. It also has a setting for 1-3 cups where it really cranks the heat so they are brewed properly. I am watching this thread because it seems to be taking a dive and acting goofy.

Evan
 
I have one of the cuisinart ones with the grinder built in, the idea of sleeping through a coffee grinder in the morning is odd but my family does fine LOL.

That thing cranks out some HOT water, burn your face off hot. It also has a setting for 1-3 cups where it really cranks the heat so they are brewed properly. I am watching this thread because it seems to be taking a dive and acting goofy.

Evan

Cuisinart coffee makers have notoriously short lifespans. Just how hot was that water? Most Cuisinarts,if not all, don't make it up to the necessary 197-205F range.
 
Last edited:
Cuisinart coffee makers have notoriously short lifespans. Just how hot was that water? Most Cuisinarts,if not all, don't make it up to the necessary 192-205F range.

I can check, now I am curious. Interesting on the short life span. My water is very hard though, and I assume that takes a toll as well.
 
What is your correct temperature range?

I have a $30 Cuisinart on-off switch no timer nuthin' fancy model, it puts out 195°F water into the coffee. Measured it with a digital thermometer. It uses #4 Melita filters which I prefer. Makes great coffee.

197.6-204.8F (92-96C). It's not MY range, it's the Specialty Coffee Association of America's range and those folks really know their stuff. Their water requirements make interesting reading. I have to cut my tap water 50/50 with distilled to get close.

At my altitude (4950') I can use water as soon as it stops actively boiling. That's very convenient. Don't do that at sea level.

https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Site needs a little updating: the Lance Larkin BE 112 Brew Express is no longer made.
 
I can check, now I am curious. Interesting on the short life span. My water is very hard though, and I assume that takes a toll as well.

The gallon jugs of water marked as 'Spring Water' in grocery stores are usually excellent for coffee brewing. Closer to SCAA specs than I can get by anything I do to modify my tap water.
 
Same failure with a Krups Made In Germany unit I had. Fortunately didn't set fire to anything though.

Mine burned a circular hole through the formica and charred 1/8" into the wood below. I caught it just on the verge of going up in flames. The Braun itself completely melted down into a Claes Oldenburg sculpture.
 
I can check, now I am curious. Interesting on the short life span. My water is very hard though, and I assume that takes a toll as well.

It takes a toll on the coffee quality as soon as you use it. Routine descaling will keep it from ruining the machine.
 
197.6-204.8F (92-96C). It's not MY range, it's the Specialty Coffee Association of America's range and those folks really know their stuff. Their water requirements make interesting reading. I have to cut my tap water 50/50 with distilled to get close.

At my altitude (4950') I can use water as soon as it stops actively boiling. That's very convenient. Don't do that at sea level.

https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Site needs a little updating: the Lance Larkin BE 112 Brew Express is no longer made.

similar circumstances in my new abode, which is right at 7000' AMSL. water boils right at 198 degrees F here, so, when the kettle whistles I'm good to go.
 
Back
Top Bottom