• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Considering a coffee pot upgrade ...

Well, you convinced me. Clever Coffee Dripper on the way...

It may take a few cups before you get your grind and time variables squared away. It also helps a lot if you have a digital scale to set the dripper on when you add the water. Lacking that, measuring out 350 mL or so beforehand and only heating that in the kettle is a good workaround.

You'll like it.
 
Again go with the Bunn. Just an on/off switch and brews between 201 and 205°. They almost last forever
As I recall, the Bunn is hardly automated - I have to go down a pour a pot of water through it, and it uses water its been holding since the LAST pot I brewed, right?

And I've tried a french press and a Vacuum pot and have an AeroPress -
I don't think any of those are automated solutions that I can set up and have a pot of coffee ready to go when I get up, right?
 
As I recall, the Bunn is hardly automated - I have to go down a pour a pot of water through it, and it uses water its been holding since the LAST pot I brewed, right?

And I've tried a french press and a Vacuum pot and have an AeroPress -
I don't think any of those are automated solutions that I can set up and have a pot of coffee ready to go when I get up, right?

I would love nothing more than to see you rig up some awesome rube goldberg contraption with a french press for your timed morning coffee.
 
As I recall, the Bunn is hardly automated - I have to go down a pour a pot of water through it, and it uses water its been holding since the LAST pot I brewed, right?

And I've tried a french press and a Vacuum pot and have an AeroPress -
I don't think any of those are automated solutions that I can set up and have a pot of coffee ready to go when I get up, right?

Eh, it's just what happens when one posts a thread asking for product recommendations on something. If one doesn't list the criteria of what one's looking for, people will say they can't recommend anything without specific details. If one does post detailed criteria, people will mainly recommend things that don't meet the criteria. :dunno:
 
Our $100 Bunn has lasted over 6 years.
Pour the water in, drop the flap and a pot of coffee is ready in under 5 minutes.
I always used timer models before but I need detox if I can't wait 3-4 minutes. :D
 
Last edited:
The most reasonably priced drip machine with SCAA approval is the new Bonavita. I'm considering buying one, myself, and getting rid of my Technivorm.
bonavita_thermal_coffee_maker.jpg


You can plug it into a timer. I don't know of a single good machine with its own timer.

I got one of these last year and I like it a lot. It's one of the few makers that get the water hot enough to make a great cup. I also like the Keurig coffee maker, it's more expensive, can be finicky and the K-cups are considerably more than buying beans or ground coffee. That being said, it makes a great cup of coffee one cup at a time and it only takes a minute or two to get it up to temp when you first turn it on and about a minute to make a cup once it is. Good luck in your search!
 
You're right in what you say Andy

Eh, it's just what happens when one posts a thread asking for product recommendations on something. If one doesn't list the criteria of what one's looking for, people will say they can't recommend anything without specific details. If one does post detailed criteria, people will mainly recommend things that don't meet the criteria. :dunno:

Ooops! Sorry Andy, though the Bonavita doesn't have a timer, you can get a timer for your receptacle at any hardware store, plug it into your receptacle, plug the coffee maker into it, set it for the time you want it to start and put the power switch in the "ON" position. Sorta meets the criteria, with a little "tweaking" as many of us so enjoy! :)

I was considering a Bunn but after reading about the Bonavita and with it being so reasonable (though it is slightly over your $100 criteria-strike two!) in price, I decided to go with it.

I also love my french press but have no idea how to tweak one of those to come on and press me a cup before I get up! Are you getting any closer to your decision?
 
Well, I read the whole thread, and have decided that water is the next area I will explore in my coffee quest. I'm currently using a Sunbeam 1000-watt pot to heat water, a Toastmaster grinder, and a french press (Melior with Bodum glass).
 
Well, I read the whole thread, and have decided that water is the next area I will explore in my coffee quest. I'm currently using a Sunbeam 1000-watt pot to heat water, a Toastmaster grinder, and a french press (Melior with Bodum glass).

Is that the bottom half of an old Sunbeam metal vacuum pot? They make really good kettles.

I'd suggest that you may be more in need of a good grinder than a better kettle.
 
Is that the bottom half of an old Sunbeam metal vacuum pot? They make really good kettles.

I'd suggest that you may be more in need of a good grinder than a better kettle.

Yes, it's the bottom half, and very nicely made. I hated to toss the top part, but the gasket was too hard and dry to use. It's one of my many garage sale finds. As to the grinder, I picked it up cheap just to try a grinder, even though I already knew there were better. I'm already making better coffee using it than I have ever made before, but tell me what you recommend. BTW, I'm trying coffee tomorrow with RO water, inspired by this very thread.
 
Some interesting products here, although none of them fit the bill for me right now. To put it in audio terms, I'm not on the market for the Krell of coffee makers, more like a NAD. ;) If anybody has any suggestions for a drip brew machine with a timer, in the ~$100 or less range, I'd like to read them.

Great Bargain Drip Coffee Makers: Must have a thermal carafe (probably SS vacuum, as the superior glass vacuums seem to have disappeared from the market), better to use a cone filter, must get the water HOT.

Melitta USA brands a nice drip maker that you can get for close to $50.
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-46894...1353629&sr=8-2&keywords=mellita+coffee+makers

Hamilton Beach (which may or may not use the same Chinese manufacturer as Melitta for the US market) also sells a nice machine that fits your bill:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...sr=1-12&keywords=hamilton+beach+coffee+makers

Buy a blade grinder (Bodum if you can find a good deal), use fresh beans, grind them daily as needed, use very good water (jug spring water is usually very good), and you'll be a happy camper.
 

We've had our Technivorm for bout year now....Like it.
First thing I noticed about this new bonavita is the spray head looks like it cannot be removed for cleaning whereas the Technivorm can easily be removed for a monthly scrub.
 
We've had our Technivorm for bout year now....Like it.
First thing I noticed about this new bonavita is the spray head looks like it cannot be removed for cleaning whereas the Technivorm can easily be removed for a monthly scrub.


Bought a Bonavita last week.

Pretty happy w/ it.

Did side by side brewing comparisons between it, a Mr. Coffee, and a Michael Graves Design coffee maker (once sold @ Target, since discontinued. It was touted as brewing at higher temperatures than the usual coffee maker, and we have liked it)

Result:

The Bonavita makes a noticeably better cup of coffee than either of the others.

My wife describes it as tasting smoother, and I agree.

It is not a night and day difference, but it is enough of an improvement that we will keep the Bonavita.
 
Bought a Bonavita last week.

Pretty happy w/ it.

Did side by side brewing comparisons between it, a Mr. Coffee, and a Michael Graves Design coffee maker (once sold @ Target, since discontinued. It was touted as brewing at higher temperatures than the usual coffee maker, and we have liked it)

Result:

The Bonavita makes a noticeably better cup of coffee than either of the others.

My wife describes it as tasting smoother, and I agree.


It is not a night and day difference, but it is enough of an improvement that we will keep the Bonavita.


A good friend of mine bought a Bonavita since I last posted (in fact, he was the one who first alerted me to the fact that there was finally another player in the 'hot enough' game). He likes it a lot but since he's usually making single cups, most of the time he's using the Clever Dripper, which is almost all that I've been using lately (except for my espresso machine).
 
I've tossed out the drip coffee pot and am very pleased with a 50's perk-o-lator. No more filters for this guy. Strong or weak as I want it with a simple dial.
 
Picked on of these up in December and love it, coffee is always fresh and consistently good. Generally use the refillable K-Cups and grind my own. Comes on automatically in the morning and makes a cup of coffee in less than a minute.

Keurig-Special-Edition-B60.jpg
 
Bought a Bonavita last week.

Pretty happy w/ it.

Did side by side brewing comparisons between it, a Mr. Coffee, and a Michael Graves Design coffee maker (once sold @ Target, since discontinued. It was touted as brewing at higher temperatures than the usual coffee maker, and we have liked it)

Result:

The Bonavita makes a noticeably better cup of coffee than either of the others.

My wife describes it as tasting smoother, and I agree.

It is not a night and day difference, but it is enough of an improvement that we will keep the Bonavita.

From what I've read (not seen one yet), a BIG plus in my book for the Bonavita (if it's still this way) is the glass-vacuum thermos. The SS carafes will impart a less than desirable flavor after a while... even with good cleaning (in my experience).

Does the Bonavita really have a warming plate? That doesn't seem so good.
 
From what I've read (not seen one yet), a BIG plus in my book for the Bonavita (if it's still this way) is the glass-vacuum thermos. The SS carafes will impart a less than desirable flavor after a while... even with good cleaning (in my experience).

Does the Bonavita really have a warming plate? That doesn't seem so good.

The Bonavita has an auto-shutoff.

It does not stay on indefinitely...
 
From what I've read (not seen one yet), a BIG plus in my book for the Bonavita (if it's still this way) is the glass-vacuum thermos. The SS carafes will impart a less than desirable flavor after a while... even with good cleaning (in my experience).

Does the Bonavita really have a warming plate? That doesn't seem so good.

Oxy-Clean does a killer job on any SS thermos.

One model has one and one doesn't. I wouldn't even think of getting the one with the warmer. The other one has the thermos flask.
 
Back
Top Bottom