• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Could you live on a "seafood" diet?

jhoak

Super Member
A few nights ago I made dinner for a good friend. The menu was seared sea scallops, steamed asparagus, fettucini alfredo, ceasar salad, and a bottle or two of a nice Nappa Valley chardonnay. Desert was one of my ice cream & cookie concotions and capucianos.

During the meal conversation she made a comment about how yummy the scallops were. I replied with "Yea... I'm pretty sure I could live out my life on a seafood only diet". She shot me a look like I had just sprouted horns and says "Really? You could give up beef and pork and lamb and...".

I really think that I could live out my life on a 100% seafood diet. I've yet to come across any product of the water that I didn't like. Don't get me wrong here. I loves me a nice cooked medium hunk-o-cow as much as the next guy. It's just that if I had to choose between a New York strip and a couple of lobster tails the seafood would win every time.

I'm probably wrong but I don't believe that the diversity of terrestrially farmed "meat" products comes close to what is produced by our oceans, seas, lakes, and rivers.

In the late 60s when I was 8 or 9 or maybe 10 I watched a National Geographic "special" (remember those?) called "Dories on the Bank". It was about the cod fishermen. The cooks on board the mother ship cooked cod 3 meals a day for the 3 or 4 months that they were at sea and never cooked the same meal twice. I'm not sure why that has stuck with me for all of these years but it must have made a lasting impression.

So the question is... Could you move to a seafood only diet foregoing beef, pork, chicken and all other air breathing critters?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've already given up eating any air-breathing critters. Been that way for about 20 years now. I don't miss meat at all. I eat fish of one kind or another about twice a week.
 
it can be done, I expect, but I wouldn't do it by choice. I can't imagine giving up fresh vegetables, nuts, pasta, cheese, breads, honey,etc. If I had those things, I could be happy never having another bite of meat, poultry, or seafood (I rarely do anyway).

And proper coffee. Mustn't forget the coffee.
 
I think maybe he meant seafood as the "meat" portion of a meal, not giving up everything else and only eating aquatic stuff. If I'm wrong then I wouldn't be up for it. But if I can have veggies and rice and such then I could do it. I'm pretty partial to crustacea and can put a serious dent in the crab population when I get a hankerin.
 
If I had to, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. I just don't think I'd choose to. Life is too short to worry about not eating this and not eating that. When it comes to eating and drinking, moderation is the key... not the choices.
 
There were times during my three years of living in New Orleans that I would look back and not be able to remember the last time I ate meat. I think I sometimes went 2-3 weeks at at time without eating meat.

In order to live on a seafood only diet, I'd have to live somewhere on the coast with a wide variety of fairly inexpensive and fresh seafood. I might try to sneak in a bit of lamb now and then though.
 
I "could" do it, but I'm not as comfortable with eating seafood, as far as bones & other parts that ought not to be eaten. I've always been just a little paranoid about choking to death on a fishbone, which would probably never happen with a hunk of beef or pork. :scratch2:
 
after being a proper vegetarian for over 20 years i couldn't ..first thing i stopped was fish
so many pollutants back then i bet its worse now . just eating veg has done me no harm .
 
The Lovely Blanche cannot abide the smell of fish, so I seldom, if ever eat it in the house unless she's away visiting her daughter. THEN, I have a seafood orgy. Yeah, I could do it.
 
Seafood + veggies only? I probably could if the mercury wouldn't kill me. I rarely eat beef.
Mostly chicken here for me and the yeller dawg.
 
I've never met a fish, lobster, crab or clam I didn't like. If it weren't for the cost and the fact that we don't have much decent seafood here, I could switch tomorrow and forever.
 
I go through phases where I don't eat any meat except seafood, and I could make that permanent without any pangs.

But I'd have a very hard time swearing off seafood. I'm a salmon junky especially, but I like just about any critters that come from the sea.

Fishies, evolution has cursed you with too much deliciousness!
 
NO! I like Seafood but going down now for another plate of home made Lasagna and it is not the same with fish. Plus Bacon and Pork yum , I like fish and scollops, shrimp and the likes. But a Roast or Meatloaf fresh out of the oven with mash potatoes and green beans come one who's not getting hungry?


Bye got to eat some supper now.....

Barney
 
Last edited:
Growing up on the NH seacoast when lobster and fish was cheaper than beef and pork, I grew up with lobster, clams, oysters and, fish. To this day a lobster steamed on seaweed, oysters on the halfshell, fries oysters and clams, lobster roll, NE clan chowder and lobster bisque all trump steak. Add grilled corn on the cob smothered in butter and sea salt sprinkled on it is as good as it can get.
 
About all I ate while stationed in Iceland was haddock (ysa) and salmon(Lax).
 
Back
Top Bottom