• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cover Better Than...

Harry Nilsson's cover of Badfinger's "Without You" has always sounded better to me.

With that said...

Three Dog Night's cover of Nilsson's "One" strikes me the same way. Sorry Harry.
 
Digging up bones here but.....

I was thinking earlier tonight about starting a cover thread here but searched first and this came up. I know some forums don't like zombie threads but decided to take a chance on it.

I'd heard this cover years ago and had forgotten about. It was on Shooter Jenning's show while I was watching the Leafs game tonight. Very good IMO, I like it when covers take a different approach to a well known song.

I'd like to see/hear others share their favourite covers.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.


 
Last edited:
J.J. Cale's, Call me the Breeze. I think Skynyrd's version is soooo much better. If it's playing while I'm driving I can't help but step on the gas. ;)
 
J.J. Cale's, Call me the Breeze. I think Skynyrd's version is soooo much better. If it's playing while I'm driving I can't help but step on the gas. ;)


Cale's is just so laidback though, as are all of his tunes really.

But yeah, Skynyrd's version is great.
 
Digging up bones here but.....

I was thinking earlier tonight about starting a cover thread here but searched first and this came up. I know some forums don't like zombie threads but decided to take a chance on it.

I'd heard this cover years ago and had forgotten about. It was on Shooter Jenning's show while I was watching the Leafs game tonight. Very good IMO, I like it when covers take a different approach to a well known song.

I'd like to see/hear others share their favourite covers.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.


I never listened to the song that way. Always heard it as a love song of devotion to another. Waylon brought it forth as a soulful/spiritual/gospel song where he is talking to himself, his soul. I can't imagine it making a hit list but Waylon's cover is far the superior in my opinion.
 
I never listened to the song that way. Always heard it as a love song of devotion to another. Waylon brought it forth as a soulful/spiritual/gospel song where he is talking to himself, his soul. I can't imagine it making a hit list but Waylon's cover is far the superior in my opinion.


I remember reading/hearing somewhere years ago that Cash originally performed it slower but Sam Phillips talked him into making it more uptempo and boom, it took off.

Can't remember where I read or heard that though.
 
I remember reading/hearing somewhere years ago that Cash originally performed it slower but Sam Phillips talked him into making it more uptempo and boom, it took off.

Can't remember where I read or heard that though.
That's what a record executive or producer would do. Understandable too. When these stars become icons they have more control over what they do. Waylon and Cash have gospel roots, gospel music in the background. Elvis too. It surfaces.
 
...I'd heard this cover years ago and had forgotten about. It was on Shooter Jenning's show while I was watching the Leafs game tonight. Very good IMO, I like it when covers take a different approach to a well known song...

It is "different"!

Kinda a bluesy take on Cash's orig country share.

More country-types are meshing the two genres together in these times. For me, some times it works...some times not so much. Just my personal bias. Old school!

And Waylon's one of my fav's. :thumbsup:

Q
 
Back
Top Bottom