• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crazy Inflated Prices for Vintage Turntables

Sure, it's a ridiculous price for that particular 'table. However, prices have been climbing up on a lot of the better vintage decks. The seller is obviously knows prices are going upward, but doesn't know enough about the market (or turntables, apparently) to accurately assess the value. The issue is that if the number of potential buyers in the market keeps increasing, and considering that there is a finite number of vintage turntables, the buyer may eventually get that price. It's just supply and demand.

Agreed except for the bold part. He probably fully knows what the past assessment value is, but it only takes one "OMG I have to have that!" to get his price. If he is willing to wait it might be worth it to him.

Market prices are definitely rising here, but I still see what I consider exorbitant prices on stuff. For me, I price fairly though higher than "scroe!" prices as I always add value and research my items. I could probably easily sell my SL-1200 MKII for $700 locally in just a matter of days but instead chose to sell an SL-1800 MKI for $300 though it took weeks. I'll hold onto my 1200 and my 1700 as a rainy day fund. :D
 
Two Denon DP-62L's just sold in the last two days for $1650 and $1800. A S-shaped arm wand and counterweights only sold for $300. Those tables were less than $500 mint a year ago.

I saw those two as well and thought, there are some clueless buyers out there. They are good tables and I'd like to get one some day, but $500-$700 is a more realistic price for what they are. Sometimes it just takes a couple of people that lose perspective to drive the prices up to ridiculous numbers. Several years ago when I first started buying on Ebay I let my desire to win get the best of me and then regretted it afterward. I think that may have been a factor in those two auctions.

Jon
 
Last edited:
jnoyes

You are spot on. I bought a 9 out of 10 DP-62L less than a year ago for $425 including shipping and thought that was high. Would never pay more than $500 for that TT. But as I type mine is playing along. It has the dreaded counterweight droop, but I will work on that problem after tax season.
 
I've been buying, fixing and reselling Technics turntables for the last several months. I buy them on Ebay for around $100, clean the mechanism, clean the arm lift mechanism and refill with 500k silicon, install a new stylus and either sell them on Ebay as an auction where people bid the price up to what it's worth to them, or on Craigslist. Ebay auctions normally sell for $250-$350. That's it. I see Ebay auctions asking crazy prices and I do watch these. They rarely get them. Some will relist several times with a crazy high price. Again they rarely get the price.
 
jnoyes

You are spot on. I bought a 9 out of 10 DP-62L less than a year ago for $425 including shipping and thought that was high. Would never pay more than $500 for that TT. But as I type mine is playing along. It has the dreaded counterweight droop, but I will work on that problem after tax season.

Seminole,

If I could get a good one today for $425, I'd be all over it. I have had several JVC's with the servo damped arms (Ql-Y5F, QL-Y7, QL-Y66F) and like them very much, Recently I bought a Denon DP-47F and found it a bit disappointing. I think the DP-62L would be closer to the JVC's in build quality and performance. What do you think of it?

Jon

Jon
 
Last edited:
I've been buying, fixing and reselling Technics turntables for the last several months. I buy them on Ebay for around $100, clean the mechanism, clean the arm lift mechanism and refill with 500k silicon, install a new stylus and either sell them on Ebay as an auction where people bid the price up to what it's worth to them, or on Craigslist. Ebay auctions normally sell for $250-$350. That's it. I see Ebay auctions asking crazy prices and I do watch these. They rarely get them. Some will relist several times with a crazy high price. Again they rarely get the price.

I watch many of the turntables on Ebay to get an idea of value and looking for interesting tables that I might want to buy. I also do restorations and sell them there, You're absolutely right about some of the prices that sellers are asking. There's a Pioneer PL-530 that only works in manual mode for $503.80 BIN. Seriously dude?

Jon
 
Quote:
" Here is my rare, coveted SL-1600 MKII that you will just love, in it's great condition and is a solid, dependable, beautiful sounding performer! The light, fine cover scratches could be buffed out if that mattered to you. The hinges, feet, platter, mat, headshell, and plinth are all exceptionally clean and in great shape! It has sat most it's whole life, since purchased new overseas by a US serviceman and kept in his non-smoking, pet and child free home...with very few listening sessions I'm told and it looks that way for sure very pampered. He just never got vinyl together and just felt cd's and radio was so much easier in his estimation...different strokes etc... I bought the table recently, but have many others and am building a custom plinth for one of the other direct drive motors I have. This one is far to valuable to cannibalize. It comes with original Technics headshell without cartridge awaiting the unit of your choice. The TT will come with a copy of the original Technics Operating Instructions. Everything is absolutely stock, and un-molested, with all functions perfect. I am only the second owner. It will be carefully and properly packed with the safety set screws in place for shipping (which many don't know to do), platter and original dust cover separately wrapped and everything super cushioned as I would love to receive it. Please read my perfect, well established feedback and buy with complete confidence!

The SL-1600 mk2 reflects many of the developments which have made Technics a leader in the turntable industry, while adding some new features of it's own.

To begin with, it combines quartz phase locked speed accuracy with high torque and near instantaneous start-up. Quick stops are also provided by an electronic braking system. "
End Quote:
.


I love the "little old lady who only took it to church spiel". I have to ask though, if it was infrequently used why doesn't it have its original cartridge. :scratch2:
 
When looking to buy, I look on eBay. When researching price, I look at eBay sold listings so I'm not wasting my time on what someone is asking, but am instead seeing what someone really paid. Check it out and see for yourself.
 
I wonder, sometimes, what the effect of these forums have on prices....
...tables frequently mentioned on forums have higher prices than those that are of similar quality, but less mentioned.

Or so it seems.
Sometimes.

:)
 
I wonder, sometimes, what the effect of these forums have on prices....
...tables frequently mentioned on forums have higher prices than those that are of similar quality, but less mentioned.

Or so it seems.
Sometimes.

:)

I'm sure it does. Especially tables that got sort of cult status :yes:
 
I wonder, sometimes, what the effect of these forums have on prices....
...tables frequently mentioned on forums have higher prices than those that are of similar quality, but less mentioned.

Or so it seems.
Sometimes.

:)

You are absolutely correct.

I'm sure it does. Especially tables that got sort of cult status :yes:

I could name a few of those, and I also have a few of those. I also have one that doesn't have a cult status, far, far from it, but it does a good number on one of the supposedly superior table.
I wont name the superior one, (or the war will start :D ) but I can name the other one, LAB-400.

You never know, its selling price might start to climb now. :D
 
I wonder, sometimes, what the effect of these forums have on prices....
...tables frequently mentioned on forums have higher prices than those that are of similar quality, but less mentioned.

Or so it seems.
Sometimes.

:)

IMO, definately!

I used to buy the upper level JVC's ( such as the Ql-Y7, QL-A7, etc) for under $200 a few years ago.

Everyone kept saying they were "under the radar"

They aren't anymore!

Jon
 
Nothing wrong with any of the asking prices.

You want, you buy. You don't want, you move on.

Nothing wrong perhaps, but dumb for sure for some. The point is to sell something and it costs money for a listing. Of course a seller can ask whatever they want, but looking at what the particular item has sold for in the past would certainly give one a clue as to whether an asking price is realistic, or ridiculous

Jon
 
I did not know that my 1600 MK2 was cult status when I bought it last year. I just wanted a table that looked cool, sounded nice and was an automatic. I'm glad that I got it last year. With today's asking prices, it would be a lot more difficult for me to buy one. Especially for a vintage table with not a lot of parts or qualified technicians who can fix them.

There seems to be a lot of speculating going on, or are they in that short supply?
 
The last fully functioning mk2s sold on ebay sold for:
$749, $430, $450, $430, $555, $400, $675.

Avg: $527.

So yes, overpriced, but not as much as many here suggest.

Wow. My 1600 Mk II was listed at $300 on local CL. Upon demo none of the auto functions worked and so I offered $100 and got it for $125. It cost me $2.27 for an O-ring (belt) plus a few dabs of grease and it is fixed.

To be honest I stumbled into this one.

I run a DL 110 on it, very nice full auto table. :thmbsp:
 
Seems to me that TTs have caught on as a "cool" thing to have. After a short time, the "cool" people will want the next "cool" thing & will take a bath when they look to move their "uber cool" TT. The serious hobbyists will remain but the trend mongerers will have moved on & demand will return closer to the historical norm.
 
Back
Top Bottom