• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crazy Inflated Prices for Vintage Turntables

If you mean the prices mentioned in the post below, those are for the 1600 MK2.

It seems you're right and I was just confused, sorry for spreading it :)

To me it seems most Technics models are a bit overpriced compared to offerings of similar quality from other japanese manufacturers - I think it's because of the iconic status of SL-1200. Of course Technics made nice tables, no denying that.
 
However, I would like to point out these kinds of threads seemed to be a growing trend on AK.

The days of picking up an awesome table for $10 are just about gone. Vinyl is niche, yes, but it's a large one and getting bigger every day. The year to year sales increases are 20-30% over the past four, five years I think. And that's with the measly Soundscan data.

That changes how we relate to the hobby I think. At least for vintage, anyway. The upside is there are plenty of 'sleeper' tables out there that are overdue for reappraisal. With the same couple dozen tables that are always recommended getting more and more out of reach, there are, what, hundreds if not thousands of other models to reconsider.
 
To me it seems most Technics models are a bit overpriced compared to offerings of similar quality from other japanese manufacturers - I think it's because of the iconic status of SL-1200. Of course Technics made nice tables, no denying that.

I think you're correct, both as to the high price and the cause of it. I see lowly P-mount Technics tables on Craigslist here, tables that are worth $50 to $100, being offered for twice that much and more.... because they're Technics.

It'll all shake out eventually. The overpriced tables will come down and the sleepers will begin commanding higher prices. All this is relative, of course. I suspect that the trend in pricing overall will continue to rise. Vinyl is truly back.

John
 
The days of picking up an awesome table for $10 are just about gone. Vinyl is niche, yes, but it's a large one and getting bigger every day. The year to year sales increases are 20-30% over the past four, five years I think. And that's with the measly Soundscan data.

That changes how we relate to the hobby I think. At least for vintage, anyway. The upside is there are plenty of 'sleeper' tables out there that are overdue for reappraisal. With the same couple dozen tables that are always recommended getting more and more out of reach, there are, what, hundreds if not thousands of other models to reconsider.

For more than a few years I'd see orphaned tt's for a pittance on the shelves of thrifts, finally started picking them up because many had serviceable carts and some were fully functional. Don't see them anymore, but that's ok - you can only play one at a time fer cryin' out loud.

So now that there's a full on bandwagon prices are up, those who passed are perhaps a bit tweaked because it's not a cheap thrill anymore. That's what happens when you continuously shout score from the rooftops and extol the virtues of vinyl for all the world to see - now the world has paid attention - you can't have it both ways. That's my take.

There's still gems out there, but it's not like a daily thing. It'll actually take a little effort (research, perhaps?) and a little more coin, such is life on the back end of a trend.
 
Prices have gone way up in last year or so on certain tables.

Marantz tables have gotten a little silly.

6300s have went way up.They have basically tripled in the last 3 years or so.

Ive owned a 6300 and I loved it.They sound decent and they are nice looking tables....but for what people are paying you can buy a much better table.
 
The days of picking up an awesome table for $10 are just about gone. Vinyl is niche, yes, but it's a large one and getting bigger every day. The year to year sales increases are 20-30% over the past four, five years I think. And that's with the measly Soundscan data.

That changes how we relate to the hobby I think. At least for vintage, anyway. The upside is there are plenty of 'sleeper' tables out there that are overdue for reappraisal. With the same couple dozen tables that are always recommended getting more and more out of reach, there are, what, hundreds if not thousands of other models to reconsider.

I completely understand as do many. However, that doesn't mean we have to find a place to vent to reaffirm our view points or seek some sort of justification for it because the price conflicts with our own experience and view points or whatever we may have forming in our cognitive processes.

And those who are mindless speak accordingly.;)

John

I completely agree.
 
I completely understand as do many. However, that doesn't mean we have to find a place to vent to reaffirm our view points or seek some sort of justification for it because the price conflicts with our own experience and view points or whatever we may have forming in our cognitive processes.



I completely agree.

But it's Ok for you to vent and call someone mindless?
 
But it's Ok for you to vent and call someone mindless?

As Boreas indicated, this particular context was regarding his comment. I personally would never call anyone mindless. As well, I wouldn't call my post venting either. Just a simple observation I have been noticing.

I don't really care what people sell their stuff for or what they initially get it for. I'm not on AK about trying to get the best possible price and seeing what they go or or tell other people that their price is too high. I am all about the gear, no the price.
 
As Boreas indicated, this particular context was regarding his comment. I personally would never call anyone mindless. As well, I wouldn't call my post venting either. Just a simple observation I have been noticing.

I don't really care what people sell their stuff for or what they initially get it for. I'm not on AK about trying to get the best possible price and seeing what they go or or tell other people that their price is too high. I am all about the gear, no the price.

I have no interest in arguing the point. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

Jon
 
It seems to me that "vintage" table prices have risen from an extreme of undervalue to a point perhaps rather on the high side given the probability of service being required for any given unit. Of course the same is true for vintage gear of all sorts, not just turntables.
 
I personally don't think turntables are over priced, not considered what they provide. Pretty much a life time of great performances, at the simple command of a lever. How much is it worth to listen to the performance of the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of Herbert von Karajan, playing Beethoven's Symphony No. 5? Or the Chicago Symphony under the direction of Fritz Reiner? Or the Dave Brubeck Quartet along with Jimmy Rushing. Or Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon? I think some of you need to stop thinking about how you missed the boat and now can't have six tables at dirt prices, and instead just be grateful of the fact that you have such a great opportunity at your hands. 200 years ago, you wouldn't be able to hear nothing unless you knew someone or could play it yourself. We have it easy, and be grateful about it.

If you think turntables are appreciating at a fast rate, buy a few and look at it as an investment.
 
jnoyes

I like the DP-62L quite a bit, but it will not supplant the QL-Y7 at the top of the heap. Also quite fond of the QL-F6 in the office setup. It is also damped in both planes, but fluid damped not electronic.

Well, thanks alot! Now I need to re-acquire a QL-Y7 and keep an eye out for a QL-F6 (didn't even know about this one). :D

Jon
 
I have no interest in arguing the point. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

Jon

No harm done.

It seems to me that "vintage" table prices have risen from an extreme of undervalue to a point perhaps rather on the high side given the probability of service being required for any given unit. Of course the same is true for vintage gear of all sorts, not just turntables.

Seems so. At first I thought of "vintage" gear to be the best bang for the buck in comparison to newer gear and in some aspects that remains true. But, it seems in the open market that may change for certain pieces. Nothing wrong in the collecting hobby.

I personally don't think turntables are over priced, not considered what they provide. Pretty much a life time of great performances, at the simple command of a lever. How much is it worth to listen to the performance of the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of Herbert von Karajan, playing Beethoven's Symphony No. 5? Or the Chicago Symphony under the direction of Fritz Reiner? Or the Dave Brubeck Quartet along with Jimmy Rushing. Or Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon? I think some of you need to stop thinking about how you missed the boat and now can't have six tables at dirt prices, and instead just be grateful of the fact that you have such a great opportunity at your hands. 200 years ago, you wouldn't be able to hear nothing unless you knew someone or could play it yourself. We have it easy, and be grateful about it.

If you think turntables are appreciating at a fast rate, buy a few and look at it as an investment.

That view point hold true and I agree. But, I am assuming everyone has their limits as to how they perceive "value." I am sure not everyone would want to spend $2k on an used Technics SL-1600mkII, huge exaggeration I know. We all have limits. I like the SL-1600mkII, I own one but, at a certain price range and adding factors of ageing parts and electronics components and excellent new turntables, I don't know if I would spend too much on another one. However, I could see myself buying another excellent shape one with a good cartridge for $450.
 
Ashevegas, I'm not familiar with the 6300, what sort of prices have you seen recently versus a few years ago?

When I did the search described below, I did notice some 6300s that went for high prices. Try duplicating my described search and in the box that says "best match" change it to "price, highest first". You may be surprised at the prices that some old turntables are actually fetching as compared with the assumptions that so many in this thread have put forth.

I can't say what this particular seller will or won't get, but I can look at completed sales on eBay. A search on the keyword "turntable" in the vintage electronics section completed sales shows a lot of turntables that brought that much and more.............

..........I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

Jon

No, there is still the entertainment value when all else has failed.:D


I have been trying to make a subtle point in this thread and I can see that subtlety is completely beyond some here, so I'll come out and say it.

There is no excuse for talking out of your ass, when eBay is a resource available to all of us. It's one thing to assert an opinion when it is expressed as such, but to treat your opinion as fact or to get argumentative with others when you have failed to obtain readily and easily available data that could bolster or undermine your position is simply asinine. Go look it up and then if you still want to argue, at least you'll have most of your ducks in a row.

I know that eBay isn't a perfect source of pricing information, but I believe it is the best free source out there and probably as good as the sources that aren't free (where are they getting their data anyway? I know I don't tell them when I sell something). If you don't know how to access the sold listings section for an item on eBay, just ask and someone here will be happy to help you.
 
Back
Top Bottom