• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crown PSA2 Back To It’s Glory

Register to hide this ad
Nice. I did one of these, massive clean-up using nearly every chemical I had in the house to clean the faceplate of splashed on unknowns and a serious bath as it was used for some time without the air filter. Just sprayed the covers with satin black as needed. Nothing nice like high gloss.

I don't know the binding posts you used as they look a bit different from the standard clear plastic with shiny chinese yellow metal underneath so I'll leave that there other than to say I grew up with Crown and think Pomona is quality stuff.

But the IEC connector is only rated to 15A in the US and the amp came standard with a 20A power cord and an adapter. I might have considered using the C19/C20 or C21/C22 parts to have a 20A circuit as original. But you are probably not going to stuffing that thing in a road case hooking up as much power as you can and driving it to IOC limits for hours on end. So the 15A rating of the connector is probably fine. I like the way the unit now has no big heavy wiring hanging off it.

Is that a plexi cover or just temp until the perf plate is finished?
 
Nice. I did one of these, massive clean-up using nearly every chemical I had in the house to clean the faceplate of splashed on unknowns and a serious bath as it was used for some time without the air filter. Just sprayed the covers with satin black as needed. Nothing nice like high gloss.

I don't know the binding posts you used as they look a bit different from the standard clear plastic with shiny chinese yellow metal underneath so I'll leave that there other than to say I grew up with Crown and think Pomona is quality stuff.

But the IEC connector is only rated to 15A in the US and the amp came standard with a 20A power cord and an adapter. I might have considered using the C19/C20 or C21/C22 parts to have a 20A circuit as original. But you are probably not going to stuffing that thing in a road case hooking up as much power as you can and driving it to IOC limits for hours on end. So the 15A rating of the connector is probably fine. I like the way the unit now has no big heavy wiring hanging off it.

Is that a plexi cover or just temp until the perf plate is finished?
This PSA2 received a complete electrical, mechanical and cosmetic overhaul.
Michael Tortorici and B Koenig left no stone unturned. Michael T is one of the very few Crown trained technicians and authorized service centers in the US qualified to properly work on these vintage amplifiers.
This amp is now dedicated to a high end home 2 channel system, in which a 20 amp iec and power is not needed. The photo on the test bench is Michael Tortorici’s shop. And yes temporary plexiglass was used during the restoration.
Happy Listening
 
Hello
I'm busy to renovate two of these amplifier, already postet some pictures.... I'm in Italy so both amplifiers runs at 220 V ac .
For one of them the cooling fan is temporary disconnected,
For one of them the cooling fan is temporarily disconnected, I bought it in that conditions.
All of them works good, but I'll like to fix the problem for the cooling fan.
Can you please give me the contact of Michael Tortorici, or B Koenig as well, just for contact them and ask some questions ?
Regards
 
This thread will probably leave the front page before @Jazzy4u returns to see it since he has not been here since May. But I used an @ before his screen name to send him a notification to look at this thread which will show up when he logs in again. Hope that gets the info you want, @PSA2 ITALY
 
Ok thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Davide
Hello Davide, I see your interested in restoring your PSA-2. Michael Tortorici from Buffalo Pro Sound in upstate NY, is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable technicians regarding, Crown vintage amplifiers. He is also a super nice guy. His business number is 716-882-0685
I love the PSA-2 so much that, I purchased an SA2, which will receive a full service and restoration as well. I do not frequent forums often, I wish you the best on your project. Crown SA2.jpeg
 
This thread will probably leave the front page before @Jazzy4u returns to see it since he has not been here since May. But I used an @ before his screen name to send him a notification to look at this thread which will show up when he logs in again. Hope that gets the info you want, @PSA2 ITALY
Hello, Blue Shadow I provided Davide with Michael's contact information. I do not frequent the forums much these days. Too many projects!!!!!
Happy Listening
 
Hello Davide, I see your interested in restoring your PSA-2. Michael Tortorici from Buffalo Pro Sound in upstate NY, is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable technicians regarding, Crown vintage amplifiers. He is also a super nice guy. His business number is 716-882-0685
I love the PSA-2 so much that, I purchased an SA2, which will receive a full service and restoration as well. I do not frequent forums often, I wish you the best on your project. View attachment 3844606
Sweet!! I picked up one of these recently. My led level meters are a bit wacky, probably need some recapping there. The rest of the amp works and sounds great. I had adjust the voltage inside to get the fan working properly. I tore it down to clean and deoxit the controls also. Definitely keep us updated on this SA2 also!
 
Back
Top Bottom