• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

David "Honeyboy" Edwards 1915-2011

Register to hide this ad
R.I.P. Honeyboy.

I met him a few years ago, at a coffee house show that had maybe 50 people in attendance. He was a class act. I had no idea what to say, to be honest. It was just the coolest feeling meeting somebody that had that much of a connection to a time in musical history that is, along with 50s jazz and blues, my personal favorite.
 
Honey Boy...The World Don't Owe Me Nothing...

....Just Listened to a very interesting short interview on CBC with Michael Frank,Honey Boy's manager......
....He lived such a very full life,picked up the guitar at 6,played his first gig at 13..........
...His manager said Honey Boy was always asked if Robert Johnson really sold his Soul to the Devil.......Honey Boy said Robert Johnson's downfall was Whiskey & Women...
Honey Boy's book:The World don't owe me nothing,now on Kenny's must read list.......Honey Boy,R.I.P........the great Blues men have slowly slipped away,their Great Music Legacy will Always remain..........................Altec Concert Kenny.
 
Last edited:
An extraordinary talent who led an extraordinary--and long--life. Rest in peace, Honeyboy.
 
I take some comfort in the fact that his talent and accomplishments were well recognized long before his death, unlike so many of his contemporaries, who died in poverty and obscurity.
 
R.I.P. Mr Edwards! Digging out my Delta blues. Man I just saw Pinetop last year here at the Rhythm Room.
 
I take some comfort in the fact that his talent and accomplishments were well recognized long before his death, unlike so many of his contemporaries, who died in poverty and obscurity.

I got to meet this guy (Eddie Kirkland) last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Kirkland

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/arts/music/07kirkland.html

One of my oldest friends played guitar with him frequently and introduced us after a show. Eddie told me that he was the oldest gigging bluesman, other than Honeyboy.

He died at 87 this year, killed while driving himself to a gig in Florida.
 
First time I’ve heard of him I sorry to say. From what I heard on this clip I’ll definitely be checking into him some more. I like what he said about bluesmen playing to many notes on the guitar. I see that way to much today. To me its like they are trying to show their chops off rather than finding the right intonation and phrasing of that one note or cord. Lot of wisdom in that short video.
 
Back
Top Bottom